JKD Forum Survey! Old/New JKD,etc.

1. Would you rather spend a weekend training with Dan Inosanto or Matt Thorton?

2. On a scale of 1-10 what is the importance of Kali in your training?

3. Do you believe that repetitions of a technique against an unresisting partner or even by yourself have a place in your training once you have learned the movement?

4. Do you think training with the gi gives an advantage to no gi performance?

5. Could you beat Bruce Lee in stand up fighting with what you know now?

6. Do you believe in scenario training?

7. Tournament of Champions has the following brackets - who takes the tournament?:
    Match 1: Bruce LeRoy v. The Bride (Kill Bill)
    Match 2: Pai Mei v. Liu Mu Bai

Match 3: Tommy (Best of the Best) v. Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
Match 4: Steven Seagal v. Van Damme

1. Bruce Lee v. Chuck Norris in a real match circa 1971?

2. Who are your top 5 picks for best JKD Forum grappler?

3. How many years have you been training martial arts (optional) and what is your favorite art?

1. 1 on 1 training, I'd pick Dan, as long as I can choose what we work on. If it was group training or a seminar type setting I would pick Matt. I know I would learn alot from either of them.

2. Kali is very unimportant to me. Lowest score possible.

3. Yes. I work the heavy bag alot, as well as shadow box. I also do shrimp drills and stuff like that. It's hard to always have a partner when you want to work out. As far as technique repetition with a partner. Sure, why not? Will my armbar get worse from doing a few reps? I think it would be bad if instead of rolling for a half hour, someone practiced technique unresisting, and then went home. Let's say I know how to do the hip bump sweep, but I don't do it alot in practice and I want to work it. I can work it a few times to make sure it's fresh in my head. Then I can have a partner help me to set up the sweep with increasing resistance, and then later try and pull it off in regular rolling. Ok, I believe in progressive resistance! LOL But, on the other hand, if I consistently pull off scissor sweeps in grappling, there is little reason for me to drill this technique over and over again with no resistance. I already "own" that technique.

4. no. I believe training no gi is the best way to get better at no gi grappling.

5.Yes. He's dead.

1. Yes, I think it can be an interesting thing to do from time to time. I would rather spend most of my time training having fun, not always pretending I am being attacked in a dark alley.

7.no idea.

1. Bruce.

2. I dunno. Matt is a BJJ BB, so I'll say him. How many other BJJ BB are here on the JKD forum?

3. 20 years, with 15 years being serious about it. Favorite art?? MMA all the way!

Yes.

1. On a scale of 1-10 what is the importance of Kali in your training?

1. Do you believe that repetitions of a technique against an unresisting partner or even by yourself have a place in your training once you have learned the movement?

As conditioning, injury recovery, or re-learning
technical nuance.

1. Do you think training with the gi gives an advantage to no gi performance?

Indirectly at best.

1. Could you beat Bruce Lee in stand up fighting with what you know now?

SInce he's dead. . .

1. Do you believe in scenario training?

Sometimes useful, but quickly outgrown.

1. Tournament of Champions has the following brackets - who takes the tournament?: Match 1: Bruce LeRoy v. The Bride (Kill Bill) Match 2: Pai Mei v. Liu Mu Bai

The bride, and ?

Match 3: Tommy (Best of the Best) v. Jack Burton
(Big Trouble in Little China) Match 4: Steven
Seagal v. Van Damme

Jack Burton, The Bride.

Joe Lewis or Leo Fong (amatuer boxer--both from
that era)

1. Who are your top 5 picks for best JKD Forum grappler?

Probably. . . Tom Oberhue, Mike Chapman, Luis
Gutierrez, Matt Thornton, John Frankl

1. How many years have you been training martial arts (optional) and what is your favorite art?

32 years. . . Boxing with MMA a close second. . .

1. Matt or Dan inosanto would be fun

2. 4

I have to know it for my job but it's alive baby!

1. I et to do a lot of reps during instruction. So when I train I prefer to do it with resistance. I think some helps as a warm up

4.Yes! TRaining with a gi helps your hip movement on the bottom and in the guard.

5.I couldn't beat Bruce Buffer with my stand up.

6.Yes, if you have a need such as military or Law enforcement. I do not think it is so neccessary for civilians.

7.The Bride v. Jack. But Bruce Lero would win the wrestle backs

8.I don't know either of them

9.I only know the SBG guys and not all of them.

Tom Oberhue is good, Matt T is good. Rory and Adam Singer are both good. And I hear John Frankl is fantastic as well. IT's more important that people do it than who is the best though

1. ?I really can't recount. But I like MMa but I probably do more Bjj
  1. It depends on what I wanted to work on. The way I'm feeling today, assuming it is a one on one session, I'd probably go with Dan because I have been training a lot of Kali lately and I would love to pick his brain about the FMA's.

2. Kali is pretty important to my training. Not only do I do it to be proficient with weapons, but I also think it is a lot of fun. I would say about an 8.

3. Yes, I think it makes your movements "tighter" and, though it may not relate to real timing, it allows you to make those movements visceral that initially may seem unnatural.

4. I don't really know enough about it to opine. However, most people that I train with say yes.

5. Assuming I know what I know now and he is the way he was when he was alive, (you have to play along guys) I would say no. I think I probably know more then he knew, but from what we've all heard, his timing and attributes were so sick that I don't think that I would be able to neutralize him with what I know.

6. I've done it once or twice in Sayoc, but I don't really like it. I agree with what Matt said before. "The situation determines the tactics, but your delivery system always stays the same." I prefer training delivery systems and if a situation happens I just defer to my training. I agree with JasonKeaton insofar as I think it may be useful to law enforcement or military. I just think there are tons of scenarios that could happen and you are better off just sharpening your tools and applying them when necessary.

7. Match 1: Bruce Leroy takes it. The bride is tight, but Leroy has got the glow.

Match 2: Pai Mei; he's just such a mean bastard and he and his boys killed all of the monks at shaolin.

Match 3: Jack Burton takes it. Normally I would say Tommy Lee because he is the man, but Jack Burton has that Tech 9 and that boot knife that he can use as a projectile. I don't think Tommy's Tae Kwon Do taught him to defend against projectiles.

1. Bruce all the way.

2. I have no idea

3. I've been training for about 19 years (since I was 6). I don't really have a favorite. If you were to ask me right at this moment I would probably say Kali, but that's because my most recent training session was spent doing Kali, and I just finished watching the Sayoc Sama Sama 2004 DVD for the 50th time. If you ask me next week after I've been to a Thai sparring class and after I've watched a Rodney King DVD or an old Ajarn Chai tape my answer would probably be Thai boxing. My favorites change from one day to the next. It's a horrible cycle.

C.J.

I liked your BJJ survey (in the BJJ forum here) better FatBhuddha:)

Mike

1. Guro Dan, although I would like to train with Matt.

2. I enjoy Kali and like teaching it.. I'd give it about a 5.

3. Yes, solo training has a definate place, including BJJ. Learning how to move the body is crucial, but it is useless without also training against resistance.

4. Definately gi first. I started no-gi first, and had trouble adjusting.. I move better now that I have to deal with people holding onto my gi..

5. I think his attributes would outclass me. But my knowledge of the ground is certainly a lot better than his was...

6. I'm sure there's a place for it somewhere, but I don't do it.. I think it's a good idea/necessity for special applications - air marshals, hostage rescue, etc.

7. The bride/pai mai/ jack burton

8. Bruce... too fast for chuck..

9. Any of the BJJ black/brown belts that post on here.. probably sbg guys.

10. 27 years... favorites are BJJ, Wing Chun, Kali

Steve

1. One on one? Guro Dan Inosanto.....Seminar? Matt Thornton

1. I know I wouldn't have the fluidity or hand speed I have now if it weren't for Kali.
  2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. No. I don't have his attributes.

5. Yes

6. Match 1: Bruce LeRoy via "Acid trip" hand movements

Match 2: Pai Mei via eye ball pluck

Match 3: Draw

Match 4: Van Damme via slow motion "Arrrrrrrrrrr"

1. Bruce Lee via whatever the heck he felt like hitting Chuck with.

2. I'd have to see everybody roll to determine that.

1. Kali
  1. Either one sounds great. I've trained with Matt but not yet with Dan.

2. This weekend I hosted Mang Romy Macapagal to teach the Kalis Ilustrisimo system. This stuff is awesome! On a 1-10, it scores a 10.

3. Abso-frickin-lutely. I need to do a lot MORE repetitions right now to improve my attention to detail in a lot of my techniques.

4. I think both gi and no-gi are valuable. I try to do some gi work to complement and enhance my no-gi.

5. No. I can't jab from 8 feet away.

6. I think drilling multiple assailants and weapons is great. I also like limiting the environment by sparring in small places or grappling outside and the like. But the play-acting side of scenario training is not for me.

7. Bruce LeRoy over Jack Burton in the finals.

8. Bruce, by ground-and-pound.

9. Me, someday :-) (Right now? It's gotta be Matt Thornton)

10. 17 years of Kenpo Karate, 14 years of Modern Arnis, BJJ for 3 years under Roy Harris (more before that), JKD under Roy for the last 2 years, a bazilion other things......

ttt

i know i can learn many things from either, and i am not dissing either, but neither. i have trained in a seminar format with Dr. Gyi and i have found him the best for me.

2. On a scale of 1-10 what is the importance of Kali in your training?

10+

3. Do you believe that repetitions of a technique against an unresisting partner or even by yourself have a place in your training once you have learned the movement?

once i learn the movement, probably not, but i'm still learning the movement :-)

4. Do you think training with the gi gives an advantage to no gi performance?

i have not begun grappling training in earnest, but i think yes.

5. Could you beat Bruce Lee in stand up fighting with what you know now?

i think no matter what my skill level (even if i'm "black belt" level) i would not be able to beat him. but if he wasn't wise to the ways of surprise attacks/sucker punches and his awareness was down, and i had a knife, i probably could take him.

6. Do you believe in scenario training?

yes, although i've not begun this in earnest yet.

7. Tournament of Champions has the following brackets - who takes the tournament?: Match 1: Bruce LeRoy v. The Bride (Kill Bill) Match 2: Pai Mei v. Liu Mu Bai

Match 3: Tommy (Best of the Best) v. Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China) Match 4: Steven Seagal v. Van Damme

for gosh sake, it's a movie :-)

8. Bruce Lee v. Chuck Norris in a real match circa 1971?

i respect both, however, my answer is tainted because i've watched the coliseum fight from Return of the Dragon sooooooo many times.

9. Who are your top 5 picks for best JKD Forum grappler?

i have not been on in ages and i've lost track of the members and their grappling experience.

10. How many years have you been training martial arts (optional) and what is your favorite art?

on and off 20 yrs since i was 18 or so (although i started when i was 10), but of the 20 yrs, quality training probably will come out to 2 yrs tops :-( just wrapped up in school, work, and family and training on weekends.

FMA hands down is my favorite because there is something primal about picking up a stick/club/staff and just wailing away. my baby son is almost 2 and he instinctually picks up objects like a tennis racket, ruler, pencil, pen, rolled up poster and holds it all day. he sometimes hits his 2 older sisters with it. and to pick up a knife, you feel so alive either facing it or using one.

OK, time for the correct answers (just kidding :) ). Time to answer my own survey:

I would love to train with both but I'd say Dan Inosanto since I am so afraid of a knife v. empty hand attack and I'd like to work that with him all weekend.

3 (not that I don't think its important but I'm a slacker)

1. Do you believe that repetitions of a technique against an unresisting partner or even by yourself have a place in your training once you have learned the movement?

yes, without a doubt (dumb question)

yes, I have to disagree with my boy Eddie Bravo on this one. I don't know exactly how it works or how it should work, but I've found that training with the gi makes no gi a lot easier and almost everyone I've trained with who just did no gi wasn't that impressive.

Hell no (dumb question)

I think its OK as an extra but definitely not as the primary training method.

1. Tournament of Champions has the following brackets - who takes the tournament?: Match 1: Bruce LeRoy v. The Bride (Kill Bill) Match 2: Pai Mei v. Liu Mu Bai

Match 3: Tommy (Best of the Best) v. Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China) Match 4: Steven Seagal v. Van Damme

Match 1: Bruce LeRoy takes the Bride fairly easily
Match 2: Pai Mei is too much for Liu Mu Bai. Extremely close match though. Ironic that both died by poison isn't it?
Semifinal 1: Pai Mei shows Bruce LeRoy who the real last dragon is.

Match 3: Jack Burton takes out Tommy with a little luck and chinese mysticism
Match 4: Van Damme pulls out the win with a tripple helicopter kick sequence on Steven Seagal's out of shape ass
Semifinal 2: Jack Burton takes out Van Damme with another lucky win (this is a pretty weak side of the bracket come to think of it)

Finals: Pai Mei easily beats Jack Burton especially after Jack Burton's wisecracks (remember the line if he hears one word of your american sass he'll snap your back like a twig and that will be the story of you...or something like that?). Pai Mei don't play.

Bruce Lee easily

Only 1 way to find out: JKD Forum Gorilla Cup!!!

1. How many years have you been training martial arts (optional) and what is your favorite art?

Since age 6 in tae kwon do, last 6 years or so in BJJ. BJJ until I get it right.

cool survey, thanks Fatbuddha

1. I have attended seminars by both, and I would choose Matt Thornton, mostly because I feel I would retain more material - and get a workout in, most likely.

2. Not nearly as high as it used to be, but that's more personal preference than anything else. I am going to start emphasizing knife defense in my training, again soon, but it will not be using most of the kali movements or drills I trained in the past.

3. Some, but very little.

4. Absolutely. Escapes and guard retention with the gi definitely have carryover to no-gi.

5. No idea. But I bet I could survive for a bit with my Crazy Monkey! :)

6. Yes, but I don't have much time for it. I think more time should be spent training delivery systems than scenarios.

7. Rickson by RNC against every opponent.

8. Hard to say, I think Chuck was in a heavier weight class? What are the rules of this "real match"? I'm going to have to go with the Texas Ranger on this one.

9. In no particular order, and not having rolled with all of them, I'd say Luis Guiterrez, Matt Thornton, Rory Singer, Adam Singer, John Frankl?

10. Been training in one thing or another for about 10 years, BJJ is my favorite by far...really, I look at everything (striking, wrestling, etc) as just different parts of jiu-jitsu at this point.

Who would not want to spend a weekend hangging out and training with there friend?

None

I do.

No. I belive in sport specific training.

You never know.LOL

I presently do not do any.

Pai Mei wins it all

No idea

2. Who are your top 5 picks for best JKD Forum grappler?

Can not say, Just on this thread I would say that Jason and Jeff are both really good grapplers.

Being myself, I would have to pick Mr Inosanto. However, what I would be interested in would be a very long and private conversation.

Zero

Repetition is always needed for learning a movement. Resistance is always needed for timing. Understanding when you do what is part of a good Coaches job.

Yes, because it takes away certain attributes. .and so it can be a GREAT handicaping tool for explosive athletes. However, I also agree with Adam that sport specific training is crucial for the majority of your workout.

Bruce Lee has been dead now for over 30 Years. May he rest in peace.

Yes, but as been stated previously. . .it doesn't take very long to see how things fit, and find yourself motivated to get back into developing your skills in the root delivery systems.

The only one I know is Bruce Leroy. . so I have to go with him as that movie, and Apallonia, ROCKED.

No idea.

No idea.

As Adam stated, LOTS of great grapplers here. Short list in no order. . John Frankl, Luis, Oberhue (although he seldom posts), Adam, Rory.

Frankl's Jits is off the hook.

23, and without question, BJJ.

www.straightblastgym.com

Chance of me attending Matt's seminars in the future is pretty close to 100%.

Chance of me attending a DI seminar in the future is pretty close to 0% unless somebody slips me a roffee and I wake up at one. Anyone who pulls that prank will have gotten me good.

0%

In a comprehensive program maybe...Someone metioned the heavy bag. These days if something is boring it has very little place in my training. Keeping it Alive is never boring.

If a guy rolls 5-6 days a week with the Gi I bet he could still beat Bruce Lee with no Gi

No Gi?

I think it's stupid. What is this high school drama class. That's time where you could be getting a work out.

I think Kill bill was the worst movie ever!
Jack Burton Rocks!

Chuck is still alive? So he won " The Real Match"

All the people from the forum I have rolled with in person are very good. I've only met a few though...and it's been a while.

8 Years since I started. Though I'm not sure I'd count all of that time.

1) Guro Dan.

2) 6 or 7. Weapons training is not synonymous to kali for me.

3) Yes, still has a place.

4) No

5) No

6) Yes

7) The Bride

8) I'm bad at this stuff, but I'll call Bruce. Better understanding of overall strategy and more tools, circa 1971.

9) not enough info to make a call

10) 25 years (roughly), but that's 25 years of getting a kiddie black belt, going from one style to another, training by myself, then getting hooked up with some real deal training. What I've become as a martial artist is because of Armando Basulto, and that's about the last six years or so.

One style? That's rough, but probably STX. Savate and thai together.

By the way, Tommy from Best of the Best's name is Phillip Rhee.

1 - Matt Thornton. I would sell my home and grandmother if it would mean that I could move to Portland.

2 - 0

3 - Yes, but only before Isolation stage or if I'm training at home without a partner.

4 - No. I love training in both but my favored style is no-gi and I use that to improve my Gi game (by adding over and under hooks, whizzers etc)

5 - Matt Thornton is right. Lets leave Bruce in peace. RIP.

6 - No. Unless somehow I become psychic and can predict my future opponents/attackers every move. If I could then I would become a superhero!

7 - Bruce Leroy would beat everyone to become the champ. Unfortuntely, Jeff Speakman (The Perfect Weapon) would then enter the ring and challenge him to a Superfight in the next tournament.

8 - Bruce Lee

9 - I have no idea. I would like to see a match of Matt Thornton vs Luis Gutierrez in a Hell in the Cell grappling match with Adam Singer as special quest referee. That would be COOOOOOL!

10 - 13 Years this year and BJJ is my fav. Boxing is a close second.

Dude,

Matt's got like an additional 150 pounds on me! At the leeeeeeeeeeeeeeast! ;)

-Luis

If Lu was healthy and Matt did not wieght 250 this would be a killer match.

Adam