Joachim Hansen Clarifies his Racial Comments...

BJ > DORKUS -  "Why wish him out of DREAM"

Because we've already seen him fight everyone there except Kawajiri.

True, but we've already seen BJ vs. GSP.  Does that make it unappealing?

I think an Alvarez/Hansen rematch, an Aoki/Hansen rematch, and an JZ/Hansen rematch are all compelling and I would love to see them all, for different reasons. 

And I would love to see him fight Kawajiri, Uno, and Ishida.  There's 6 good fights for him right there.

This is a ludicrous charge against him. Plenty of black guys have hemorrhoids.

If the price was right, he'd fight in the ufc don't let that fool ya :P  When your getting paid like a LHW in Japan and a US company like the UFC offers you LW money (how it is in the US) of course your gonna be offended.   I love Hansen but it's bold to say you would "never" fight in the US.   I think if a big money fight was offered to him to fight BJ, he's jump at it.  Japan pays top LWs 6 figures, while the only LW in the US to make 6 fighters is BJ.  

Kr0ndogg -  
I don't care, as long as they love MMA and metal

THATS FUCKING RIGHT!!!

\m/

B_Goetz - Some people somehow managed to interpret that to mean the Japanese are genetically predisposed to be superior mma fans or something. That it was about race instead of culture.

Because saying that the Japanese are essentially superior "culturally" would be a totally benign statement? Lumping people together and acting as if all within that category exhibit the same negative characteristics is bigotry. It doesn't matter if they aren't categorized by something other than skin colour. If Hansen's comments were taken to mean that "All Americans are essentially bad fans, and Japanese are much better", then yes, I could definately see where people got offended. "Race" can and has had a broader meaning than skin colour, but I can see where his use of the term confuses the issue.

Here is the original quote in question:

"The Japanese MMA audience is the best in the world", he says with enthusiasm. "They make magic! I would rather have one true Japanese MMA supporter than one million fake mainstream supporters that will turn their back on you as soon as you lose a fight."

(http://www.intheguard.tv/site/1/newsNews.php?id=223)

So Hansen never said anything specifically against American fans, or against fans of any particular nationality - just against "fake mainstream supporters that will turn their back on you as soon as you lose a fight."

He never even mentioned American fans (or anything about Americans in general) in his statement.

He came out against the UFC specifically, because the Fertittas had acquired his Pride contract last year - and then offered to pay him only half of what that contract called for to come fight in the UFC.

And when Hansen declined - the UFC then sat him out and kept him from fighting again, until he was finally released from his contract when they shut down Pride.

But again, Hansen said nothing against - or even about - Americans per se.

Hellboy is good

i wish his Tshirts were cheaper

i read nothing racist.... weak sauce.

fiercedragon - 
bonersaurus -  "I will never fight in the UFC. I would prefer have my testicles kicked in by a horse full of steroids."

ROFLMAO

well antonio silva has nothing else to do for a year...

I thought you meant Edith.

Kidcombo -  If the price was right, he'd fight in the ufc don't let that fool ya :P  When your getting paid like a LHW in Japan and a US company like the UFC offers you LW money (how it is in the US) of course your gonna be offended.   I love Hansen but it's bold to say you would "never" fight in the US.   I think if a big money fight was offered to him to fight BJ, he's jump at it.  Japan pays top LWs 6 figures, while the only LW in the US to make 6 fighters is BJ.  

And the UFC wouldn't pay him that kinda money ... so dont let your own fantasy fool ya.

"Lumping people together and acting as if all within that category exhibit the same negative characteristics is bigotry. It doesn't matter if they aren't categorized by something other than skin colour."

Happens every single day. Everyone on this planet is technically a bigot by your definition.

Your world would become unworkable if you truly had no idea about any group of people based on past experience.

lol@ his 'racist' remarks. He's right, for a fighter, it's a better fan base in Japan. I don 't really see how you'd argue that.

Kr0ndogg - Joachim Hansen - "I will never fight in the UFC. I would prefer have my testicles kicked in by a horse full of steroids."

LOL!

That's some funny shit. :)

Hahaha ..... so funny how Hanson is so upset at the UFC.  He will never fight for the UFC because they refuse to pay him what he thinks he is worth off the bat. Poor sport imo, and he is only lashing out because he didn't get what he wanted, which in my eyes makes him look a little immature about the whole situation.

It's pretty much common knowledge as to how the UFC works with contracts. Unless you are at the tip-top of your weight class you will start off with a crappy contract until you prove you can hang in the UFC. Nobody gets fucked out of a good contract if they do well. But the UFC certainly does not want another Herring or Crocop on there hands where they pay out a huge sum and get garbage in return.

Hanson is coming off like a baby

Hansen was correct. Japanese fans are the greatest MMA fans in the world, and I don't give a fuck how politically correct you are. It's a fact. Deal with it.

David, I don't think it's as easy as the offer being small. He got an offer way below what his contract said. So he was stuck with a contract that he had to wait out while not being paid what his contract said he would be paid. I have no problem seeing that he's pissed off at them for that. It's both the principle of it, and the fact that they took away his income for a period of time ...

He did not make any racial comments. Its just that the bitches on this site always find something to cry about.

"Japanese MMA supporter "

- as in someone who supports japanese mma? The fans who attend/watch/are fans of japanese mma?

Think he was including most of us on this board in his original comments.

David@AccutestMi, As I understand it, he had an existing contract that had been signed with PRIDE. He was only demanding to be paid as his contract stipulated. The UFC tried to change the terms of the contract and then found legal contingencies to prevent him from working elsewhere. That's petty, vindictive, and unethical if you ask me.

As to his coming off like a baby, I think you're crazy. He found other employment that he apparently feels pays him fairly and he is publicly and graphically maligning the UFC's practices. That's a position of dignity and strength.

LOL!

I read that article last week or so and didn't give it a second thought

IN GENERAL, the japanese audience IS a lot more respectful

and the orgs usually have you fight even if you lose, as long as you're entertaining

racist...lol