Joe Calzaghe

Just came across Joe Calzaghe's record (46-0 with some impressive wins) and it got me thinking why he is never mentioned in the 'best boxer of all time' conversations.

Can someone who understands boxing a lot better than I explain this please? Thank you!

his last victory was over several years past his time roy jones jr who knocked him down in 1st round. He didnt look good that fight. If he would of fought Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, he would of lost.

He beat Hopkins.

TtoMyJ14 - his last victory was over several years past his time roy jones jr who knocked him down in 1st round. He didnt look good that fight. If he would of fought Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, he would of lost.

Like when he fought and beat Bernard Hopkins?

I know he close victory over hopkins but that was close he sucked in that fight too. Ater Jones fight for some reaons he retired. He never beat a truly great in his prime, that why he not in all time greats.

TtoMyJ14 - I know he close victory over hopkins but that was close he sucked in that fight too. Ater Jones fight for some reaons he retired. He never beat a truly great in his prime, that why he not in all time greats.

Hopkins held him the entire fight Calzaghe had the only offense

not trying be a dick. Hes a great boxer but he never a all time great in his prime. Thats also because there arent any great boxer anymore at weight unfortunately.

TtoMyJ14 - his last victory was over several years past his time roy jones jr who knocked him down in 1st round. He didnt look good that fight. If he would of fought Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, he would of lost.

He fought Hopkins, and won. I hear what you are saying though, if he would of fought guys like Pavlik, Jones, Toney ect in their primes, he'd either have a much different record or be considered one of he best ever.

He went out beating Hopkins, Jones and Kessler when Kessler was ontop, it's impressive but his entire career has sort of been known for avoiding the top guys unfortunately.

ChaosOverkill - 
TtoMyJ14 - I know he close victory over hopkins but that was close he sucked in that fight too. Ater Jones fight for some reaons he retired. He never beat a truly great in his prime, that why he not in all time greats.

Hopkins held him the entire fight Calzaghe had the only offense

u mean like all boxing fights?

Joe was awesome but that weight class was weak unfortunately too.

I think his style has something to do with it, he was often criticised for throwing 'slappy' punches.

I'm a fan of Pavlik myself but Joe would have wiped the floor with him in my opinion. He'd have also beaten the awkward and ageless Hopkins for a second time.

Tad Ghostal - I think his style has something to do with it, he was often criticised for throwing 'slappy' punches.

this.

its a very high punch count but just not really hard hitting,decisive shots.

i think pavlik would've been a good fight for him.the past his prime jones and hopkins victories were pretty lackluster performances.

TtoMyJ14 - 
ChaosOverkill - 
    <br />
    <p>
        Hopkins held him the entire fight Calzaghe had the only offense</p>
</blockquote>
<br />
u mean like all boxing fights?</blockquote>

there's usual hopkins safe and then there's what he did in that fight, I'm not saying Calzaghe is an all time great, but he had to punch out of a blanket on that one and still managed to take the fight convinclingly despite Adalaide Byrdshit giving the guy the same skin colour as her the nod for nothing done in the fight worthy of it, she gave Hopkins rounds that he barely landed a punch in.

undisputed1972 - 

I'm a fan of Pavlik myself but Joe would have wiped the floor with him in my opinion. He'd have also beaten the awkward and ageless Hopkins for a second time.

maybe afer seeing what Hopkins did Pavlik. Still both of these two were on terror and would been amazing fight if they would of fought if they were undefeated.

I remember I was betting in running on the Calzaghe vs Hopkins fight, you could get long odds on Joe up to the final bell. Everybody on the market thought he was losing , was good times :)

He didnt take on all comers like Froch. He could of but chose not to. He is great though for sure amazing boxer and workrate. I wouldnt be suprised to see him come back and fight Froch after reading the coke story on Calzaghe as people like that always come back ie Hatton.

Kessler was prime as was Lacey ( I think the fight with Joe robbed him of any prime going forward).

The main reason he is never talked about as a GOAT is because he is not American. Phone Post 3.0

Personally I think he was very over rated. His best wins are jones jr who was past it. Hopkins (which I think he lost). Jeff Lacy who was meant to be this world beater but was awful and Kessler. Personally I think hatton is better than him because he got in the ring an fought the best. Won some and lost some Phone Post 3.0

If records were all that mattered, then Brian Nielsen and Butterbean could garner consideration as all-time great heavyweights.

A closer examination of Joe's record would reveal a soft diet of stiffs, bums, past-prime champs and similarly managed fighters with padded records.