Joe Lewis(karate) vs Carlson 1970

In 1970 Carlson was at the end of his fighting career and Joe Lewis (karateka, not the boxer Joe Louis) the the best karate fighter in America, 10-0 kickboxing, 210 lbs and a devastating side kick. If they had a Vale Tudo fight would have been epic. Lewis also had Wrestling & Judo experience. My vote would be Carlson even though Lewis had 50 lbs on Carlson. As a side note Jon Bluming, Mas Oyama's top fighter, now 10 th degree karate, 9 th degree Judo. Oyama had put up $100,000 in the late 1960's for anyone who could beat Bluming. Lewis didn't accept and Carlson probably never heard about it.

Carlson victorious over Lewis. Bluming was a judo newaza monster before ever beginning Kyokushin, not to mention being very large and Draegers "experiment" with a judo specific weight lifting regimen. Bad matchup for Carlson.

^ they didn't call him the beast of Amsterdam for nothing. I see it the same way.

de braco - Carlson victorious over Lewis. Bluming was a judo newaza monster before ever beginning Kyokushin, not to mention being very large and Draegers "experiment" with a judo specific weight lifting regimen. Bad matchup for Carlson.
Any details to what a judo specific weight lifting regimen might look like? Phone Post 3.0

ChipW - 
de braco - Carlson victorious over Lewis. Bluming was a judo newaza monster before ever beginning Kyokushin, not to mention being very large and Draegers "experiment" with a judo specific weight lifting regimen. Bad matchup for Carlson.
Any details to what a judo specific weight lifting regimen might look like? Phone Post 3.0

Judo Training Methods by Donn Draeger & Ishikawa. Bluming was his guinea pig.

Japanese Olympic and All Japan Judo champ Isao Inokuma was also Draeger's guinea pig.

I also think Jon Bluming was Olympic Judo champ Anton Geesink's training partner. Both of them were tall (6'5")

graciesrule -
ChipW - 

Judo Training Methods by Donn Draeger & Ishikawa. Bluming was his guinea pig.
Ah, cool. I'll check it out. Thanks Phone Post 3.0

Geesink and Bluming had rival judo orginizations and it was Gesinks that was chosen to seed olympic judoka. If it had went the other way Bluming would have been in Geesinks place on the podium.

m.g - Japanese Olympic and All Japan Judo champ Isao Inokuma was also Draeger's guinea pig.

I also think Jon Bluming was Olympic Judo champ Anton Geesink's training partner. Both of them were tall (6'5")

Not according to Blumings biography, he hated Geesink.

Joe Lewis was a serious badass back then.

TrevorRice - Joe Lewis was a serious badass back then.

Yes he was. One side kick perfectly landed to the body and it's over, he had that kind of power.