Joe Rogan?

TTT

I agree that Fred should be on the JRE podcast.

DarrenJG - Wow, it's actually Fred Ettish. I'm kind of an old timer, and happened to pop on here for the first time in ages - was a college guy when I saw UFC 1 & 2.

All I can say is it took huge balls for you to step in there at that time. So much was unknown about styles and matchups back then and it was really an intimidating thing to actually step in the cage. Very hard for new fans to realize the dynamic at the time - it was an entirely different energy and vibe than today.

I hope you're doing well these days. Seeing you post just brought me back to those times for a bit.

And I agree, it would be great to have a panel of guys from those early UFC's. You guys deserve much more recognition - the sport, as most enduring endeavors, rests on the shoulders of giants.

Thanks for your post and your thoughts. It definitely was a different event back in the early days then it is now. Everything starts from somewhere and MMA came from NHB in this country. I'm not referring to myself at all, but others sacrificed so much to give birth, nurture, and evolve NHB into MMA. So many don't realize how close we came to extinction, and but for some really dedicated fighters, managers, promoters, etc it would have died. These people are the giants of whom you speak and deserve respect and recognition they seldom get from anyone but the most hardcore, old school fans. 

Respectfully: 

Fred

OhhhhMyPlata -

I love how Fred is treated with respect on this forum (for the most part) now.

Gives me hope for humanity . I'm also a fan by the way. The way you dealt with adversity was/is inspirational 

Fred is the shit.

How cool is to to have pioneers of your fave sport on here kicking it?

Ur the shit Fred I say it all the time. Cool for you to stick around broseph!

Well put, Fred.

To be honest, though, I would put you in that group as well. You were there at the very beginning and went where very, very few would have ever dared to go.

I really hope you never ended up letting that loss eat you up too much. I could never understand the ridicule that was on the net about that. And the older I get the more ridiculous and utterly wrong headed it seems.

The fact is, you went into a really raw and brutal TRUE fighting event - nothing like today. It was not a match, or a sport. You went against a very tough dude and lost. Big deal. The big thing was stepping in, and particularly as an alternate, where I imagine you probably weren't at peak readiness to fight, since you probably didn't fully expect it, etc.

And in an unintended way, you gave NHB a pretty big push because you actually served to show just how real and brutal it was. You looked like a "regular guy" and it was a wakeup call to folks watching that this stuff was as real as it gets. So you really served a pretty big part in things, to be honest.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to chat with you on here.

Best regards

TTT for a legend. 

0hi0direct -
OhhhhMyPlata -

I love how Fred is treated with respect on this forum (for the most part) now.

Gives me hope for humanity . I'm also a fan by the way. The way you dealt with adversity was/is inspirational 

Fred is the shit.

How cool is to to have pioneers of your fave sport on here kicking it?

Ur the shit Fred I say it all the time. Cool for you to stick around broseph!

Thank you!

Respectfully:

Fred 

DarrenJG - Well put, Fred.

To be honest, though, I would put you in that group as well. You were there at the very beginning and went where very, very few would have ever dared to go.

I really hope you never ended up letting that loss eat you up too much. I could never understand the ridicule that was on the net about that. And the older I get the more ridiculous and utterly wrong headed it seems.

The fact is, you went into a really raw and brutal TRUE fighting event - nothing like today. It was not a match, or a sport. You went against a very tough dude and lost. Big deal. The big thing was stepping in, and particularly as an alternate, where I imagine you probably weren't at peak readiness to fight, since you probably didn't fully expect it, etc.

And in an unintended way, you gave NHB a pretty big push because you actually served to show just how real and brutal it was. You looked like a "regular guy" and it was a wakeup call to folks watching that this stuff was as real as it gets. So you really served a pretty big part in things, to be honest.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to chat with you on here.

Best regards

Thank you. I appreciate all that you say. 

For many years I let the loss, my poor performance, and the tons of shit (especially the personal, insulting things) get to me. I'm hoping I've been over that for a while. My buttons can still get pushed, but I'm able to mostly just let it go now. It does help that I mostly hear very positive feedback these days. 

I had somewhere between 10-20 minutes notice that I was fighting, so yes, that screwed my head up good. I'd been told the night before that there was no way I'd be fighting and that they'd bring me in on a later UFC. Hell of a surprise, but everything happens for a reason. I should have been able to hit the switch and get into the right frame of mind. I didn't, and a better man whipped my ass. 

Respectfully:

Fred

Wow, Fred Ettish! That's awesome. Rare to see someone like you on here. What a pleasure. I don't have much to add that hasn't been said other than it took big balls to jump in there with such little notice. You'll always be the man for that. Good to see you here!
Respectfully, of course
Og 12er

I bow to you Mr. Fred Ettish.  Thank you for pioneering MMA.

Respectfully, 

Lonely Man

I hope everything is going well Fred. Its always nice to see you on the forum. Have you had any luck contacting Joe Rogan?

"I really hope you never ended up letting that loss eat you up too much"

It shouldn't these days - Mr. Ettish has since had another fight and won by stoppage :)

shit, I'd be pretty happy going 0-10 with just the THOUGHT of stepping in there with no rules (and having retained my faculties). like "yea I lost back when the REF COULDN'T STOP THE FIGHT IF HE WANTED TO. but, what have you done with your life? that's what I thought.."

Fred is by far the classiest poster on this forum. Top guy. 

I'll try and reach out to Joe on Twitter. Likely to be an exercise in futility on my part but I'll give it a go :) 

Fred he is still here.  Keep this near the top and Im sure he will see it and respond.  

Wow, Fred Ettish, a true legend of the sport 

So much fucking respect for having the balls to step up in that day and time 

You sir are a fucking inspiration 

Respectfully

illumination

OG 12er - Wow, Fred Ettish! That's awesome. Rare to see someone like you on here. What a pleasure. I don't have much to add that hasn't been said other than it took big balls to jump in there with such little notice. You'll always be the man for that. Good to see you here!
Respectfully, of course
Og 12er

Thank you so much. 

Respectfully:

Fred

LonelyMan -

I bow to you Mr. Fred Ettish.  Thank you for pioneering MMA.

Respectfully, 

Lonely Man

You're far too kind but I appreciate it. I was just a guy who took a chance, got his ass kicked, and came up short. Had my shot and didn't take advantage. Life can be that way. 

Respectfully:

Fred

BJTT-Frank Rizzo - I hope everything is going well Fred. Its always nice to see you on the forum. Have you had any luck contacting Joe Rogan?

Doing ok. Haven't reactivate my twitter, so no, haven't gotten in touch yet. Thanks. 

Respectfully:

Fred

branchdavidian - "I really hope you never ended up letting that loss eat you up too much"

It shouldn't these days - Mr. Ettish has since had another fight and won by stoppage :)

shit, I'd be pretty happy going 0-10 with just the THOUGHT of stepping in there with no rules (and having retained my faculties). like "yea I lost back when the REF COULDN'T STOP THE FIGHT IF HE WANTED TO. but, what have you done with your life? that's what I thought.."

My days of being torn up about what happened and the fallout are over. I embrace it all, now. Everything happens for a reason, and I've used it to hopefully make myself stronger and better in many ways. 

Respectfully:

Fred

Outlaw'd by Lytle -

Fred is by far the classiest poster on this forum. Top guy. 

I'll try and reach out to Joe on Twitter. Likely to be an exercise in futility on my part but I'll give it a go :) 

Thank you very much. 

Respectfully:

Fred