Jogging in a fight should be illegal/penalized

Oh, let’s not forget the fact that the kidneys, spine and back of the head are illegal targets so you can’t be legally attacked while turning and running away. 

the worst i have ever seen was when carlos "the natural born runner" condit employed this strategy on diaz and ran away with a "win"...

HillboFrateTrane - 
bbomber -

That's stupid. Fighting is about hurting the other guy and not getting hurt. The defensive part of the equation is just as important as the offensive part.

Maybe they should also ban slipping and blocking. Offense only, no defense allowed. 

You can back up while continuing to engage. Running is just that. You’re running from the fight. 

No you aren’t. You are reseting.

1 Like

Lame. 

you are allowed to avoid danger. 

/

I actually think the running is fun. A lot of guys should probably do it more. It's a lot of fun when someone chases and just swings like crazy too

The fights take place in an enclosure to prevent it from being a true foot race, but if you can’t box in the runner in the ring, that is your fault. Besides, if he is just running he will lose the fight and future fights. I

I assume the OP was referring to OSP. He was running all fight long. That was lame.

…was expecting a KALEB STARNES running from opponent in the Octagon GIF …

its the Poster Child of MMA fighter running around the cage

wiggum -
HillboFrateTrane - 
bbomber -

That's stupid. Fighting is about hurting the other guy and not getting hurt. The defensive part of the equation is just as important as the offensive part.

Maybe they should also ban slipping and blocking. Offense only, no defense allowed. 

You can back up while continuing to engage. Running is just that. You’re running from the fight. 

No you aren’t. You are reseting.

Wiggum gets it.

If you jog yourself out of danger and reset to engage and fight, no problem.

If you are JUST running and avoiding the fight, that’s another story, but how often have we seen that. Starns?  Even that was a situation that had extenuating circumstances. 

The problem is that the octagon is too large.

the fact that its almost a circle makes cutting off difficult - hence running away works fine.

the mma and kickboxing ring can be cut off more easily. Since its a square.  The ufc should always go for the smaller octagon . Hasnt it been proved to have a higher finishrate ? 

LJB -

the worst i have ever seen was when carlos "the natural born runner" condit employed this strategy on diaz and ran away with a "win"...

Agree, that was embarrassing to watch . 

A round ring is harder to cut off, but not that much. You can’t corner your man, but putting him on the ropes is like pinning him to the cage. And you have another big advantage. You can grab your opponent! It is hard for him to keep running if you have a hold on him.

GrindOnLine -

OP wants electric fences and sharks with lazerbeams attached to their heads because why the fuck not!

Yeah baby!

HillboFrateTrane -
Sayomi -

Everybody was fine when Conor did it against Nate the second fight.

Not me. In the 25ish years of being a fan I think Conor is unequivocally the worst thing to ever happen to the sport. Even worse than UFC 33. 

Whoah man, ease up.  You can’t just go accuse someone of being worse than UFC33!

There’s just no call for that.

What about flat out running your ass off?

I remember Condit running like a sprinter the whole damn fight.

The Ancient Greeks agreed with you.

It’s a fucking cage dude, if you can’t close down a fighter who’s jogging away from you, drill angles. You don’t get away from Ferguson or Covington by jogging, they’ll be on you 

1 Like
shen - The Ancient Greeks agreed with you.

Yeah, probably while they were fucking each other’s asses. 

Like most things it depends on the circumstances, if its once because you slipped and your opponent is trying to swarm you and you need to reset then I don’t think anyone would think it would need to be penalised, then you’ve got Starnes v Quarry which was ridiculous 

People are misquoting or taking OP words out of context. He's not saying no slipping a punch or avoiding danger, he's saying RUNNING full sprints should carry some consequence. It indicates unwillingness to engage. Refs should warn the fighter twice. Keep running and the third warning should cost 1 point. Ovince St Preaux would have lost a point against Rothwell and Jon Jones would have lost a point against Reyes in their fight, because for several exchanges, Jon Jones was sprinting harder than Usain Bolt.