John Crawford Walmart shooting - Cops not charged

Jhay - 

Just to add, open carry is legal where this took place.

" Yes but not black airsoft open carry"

- Stupidnewbie and police everywhere

I'd also just like to point out the absurdity in the fact that you can by shot by police for carrying an item that a store sells as you walk around that same store.

"I watch a TON of movies and I never miss CSI: Miami. I am an expert in all things law enforcement!" - The OG

Brandishing a weapon is not the same as open carry. Holding a firearm in your hands and pointing it is not open carry. It is brandishing. If he had it slung over his shoulder or had a handgun in a holster, it would be completely different.

Hunker down and negotiate? It's a fucking Walmart. How do you expect officers to evacuate an entire Walmart, without alerting the suspect, somehow keep the suspect contained without making their presence known, and set up negotiations? You do realize that a 5.56/.223 round is not going to be stopped by a shelf of dog food, right?

Tomato Can - I'd also just like to point out the absurdity in the fact that you can by shot by police for carrying an item that a store sells as you walk around that same store.

So, by that logic, I should be able to wave a gun around in a gun store? Hell, many Walmarts sell real guns.

Stupidnewbie - "I watch a TON of movies and I never miss CSI: Miami. I am an expert in all things law enforcement!" - The OG

Brandishing a weapon is not the same as open carry. Holding a firearm in your hands and pointing it is not open carry. It is brandishing. If he had it slung over his shoulder or had a handgun in a holster, it would be completely different.

Hunker down and negotiate? It's a fucking Walmart. How do you expect officers to evacuate an entire Walmart, without alerting the suspect, somehow keep the suspect contained without making their presence known, and set up negotiations? You do realize that a 5.56/.223 round is not going to be stopped by a shelf of dog food, right?

So you liked the way the cops handled the situation?

Lol@multiple posters claiming that "he ignored the police's instructions"...there is literally two seconds between them coming into the store and then shooting the dude. Were they providing instructions while unloading on the guy?? Phone Post 3.0

He wasn't "brandishing" that gun any moreso than those open carry goofs were at Chipotle. And they had ACTUAL rifles.

Where is Darknight and all those that hate restrictions on guns?

If only he had worn a cowboy hat and been humming the star spangled banner the whole incident could have been avoided. He would have been considered a patriot then.

I'd like to see the criteria used to determine if this was a legit shooting in that state. If you or I did what those cops did we'd be in jail.

T Bag - Lol@multiple posters claiming that "he ignored the police's instructions"...there is literally two seconds between them coming into the store and then shooting the dude. Were they providing instructions while unloading on the guy?? Phone Post 3.0

It's like the Salem witch hunts If you see a suspected witch try burning her at the stake. If you see a black man try shooting him and see what happens.

attjack - 
Stupidnewbie - "I watch a TON of movies and I never miss CSI: Miami. I am an expert in all things law enforcement!" - The OG

I don't like or dislike it. We could Monday-morning QB the fuck out of it but they did not have the luxury of time we do. They do not know if there are people in the direction he's looking. They do not know if there are victims already down. They reacted as they felt appropriate and with the resources they had. I have been in high-stress, armed-suspect situations. Time slows down and you act in a manner that protects you and others. The safety of the suspect comes after.

Could there be a scenario in which the guy wasn't shot? Sure. On the other side of the coin, it could have gone way worse. What happened happened, no laws were violated by the officers both by my casual observance and by the in-depth investigation all OIS's go through.

Feel free to post a screen shot of him "pointing" the gun.

You cant expect them to evacuate an ENTIRE walmart!! AN ENTIRE WALMART ? EVACUATED SO WE DONT HAVE TO KILL SOME GUY FOR NO REASON? GET REAL!

Since when is this guy jason bourne?? Yell around the corner to drop the weapon and come out with hands up.

A grand jury heard two days of evidence and testimony (much more than just the video) and decided not to indict. The Governor requested DOJ come in and investigate. Not sure what more you girls want.

T Bag - Lol@multiple posters claiming that "he ignored the police's instructions"...there is literally two seconds between them coming into the store and then shooting the dude. Were they providing instructions while unloading on the guy?? Phone Post 3.0

Where do you get that they were in the store for literally two seconds before the shooting started?

Someone has a huge lawsuit against Walmart for this.  If they are going to sell products that reasonable people (and police) would believe to be a dangerous weapon then it should be packaged or placed in such a way that someone looking to buy it doesn't end up getting shot by police.

mmafansince93 - The kid was definitely acting suspicious. He was standing in that corner for over 5 minutes. Maybe he was trying to think of a way to steal it? The cops should have at least tried to talk him down before just running in there shooting.

He was talking on the phone.

Nothing says "planning to steal this" like casually plodding around a store for a half hour with something in your hand.

Stupidnewbie - 
attjack - 

I don't like or dislike it. We could Monday-morning QB the fuck out of it but they did not have the luxury of time we do. They do not know if there are people in the direction he's looking. They do not know if there are victims already down. They reacted as they felt appropriate and with the resources they had. I have been in high-stress, armed-suspect situations. Time slows down and you act in a manner that protects you and others. The safety of the suspect comes after.

Could there be a scenario in which the guy wasn't shot? Sure. On the other side of the coin, it could have gone way worse. What happened happened, no laws were violated by the officers both by my casual observance and by the in-depth investigation all OIS's go through.

You don't dislike that an innocent man was killed because he was in a store holding the store's merchandise? Are you a cop? If so you sound as incompetent and the killers in the video.

Brockback Mountain - 

Feel free to post a screen shot of him "pointing" the gun.

You cant expect them to evacuate an ENTIRE walmart!! AN ENTIRE WALMART ? EVACUATED SO WE DONT HAVE TO KILL SOME GUY FOR NO REASON? GET REAL!

Since when is this guy jason bourne?? Yell around the corner to drop the weapon and come out with hands up.

Ok, so now we aren't evacuating anyone. So grandmas and children and neckbeards are wandering around aisles to catch random bullets and/or be taken hostage if the suspect wants. Then, officers are not going to establish any sort of tactical advantage before alerting the suspect to their presence. So, when the give commands from around the corner, he's free to flee, shoot in the officers' direction, shoot in random directions, take a hostage, kill a bystander, or hopefully give up. Basically, do whatever the fuck he wants. We'll be crossing our fingers that he gives up and we'll ask extra nice.

You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about.

"You don't dislike that an innocent man was killed because he was in a store holding the store's merchandise? Are you a cop? If so you sound as incompetent and the killers in the video."

sigh Please go back to your TV. There's a new NCIS series starting, I think.