John McCarthy Scolds Referee

2 Likes

John McCarthy scolded referee Al Guinee for failing to notice that Jamahal Hill had dislocated his arm in UFC 263 fight with Paul Craig.

The UFC headed to Glendale, Arizona for UFC 263, and the athletic commission hired Guinee, a local referee on the regional circuit there, to handle several of the fights on the UFC 263 pay-per-view card. One of the fights that Guinee was assigned to was the Hill vs. Craig light heavyweight bout that opened up the card. However, the referee made a major blunder when he failed to notice that Hill had dislocated his arm against Craig and didn’t stop the fight immediately. He also failed to notice that Hill had indicated a tap, which led to the fighter taking far more damage than he needed to take, and McCarthy wasn’t happy.

Scottish limb snatcher Paul Craig is $50,000 richer following UFC 263.

The light heavyweight “gatekeeper” proved too much for the rising Jamahal Hill on Saturday, with a first round arm-bar that had fans both in attendance and at home queasy.

After trapping Hill’s arm early in the fight, Craig rolled into an arm-bar that left the limb dangling at an unnatural angle. With Hill not tapping and the ref unaware of the injury, Craig then caught his opponent in a triangle, the arm still flopping about. Delivering a series of elbows, Craig would eventually pick up what was announced as a TKO win. Hill, meanwhile, appeared to have a broken arm, although UFC President Dana White suggested following the event that it had only been dislocated.

That was such a weird sequence

He’s such an attention whore

6 Likes

It was really terrible reffing.

1 Like

The local AZ press told Dana the this ref always fucks up at local shows.

Dana said, “So he’s the Arizona Mazzigatti?” LOL

4 Likes

Ref is a blackbelt and instructor wtf

Abysmal stoppage from the ref, how he cant see the arm dangling around is beyond me. Horrible officiating

1 Like

Why does the fight have to stopped because of a dislocated arm. He had another one and was dropping bombs with it. solid reffing. I

1 Like

It’s crazy because there were only two explanations for the arm: 1) it’s dangling around because of an injury or 2) he was flailing trying to tap.

1 Like

It’s worse on replay as it seems Paul is pointing it out to the ref before he goes for his onslaught of strikes, and even Hill seems to verbally tap at that same time but for that reporters have to ask him if he did. He was talking to the ref, that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Couldn’t agree more! Ref is there to protect the safety of the fighters. That this numb-nut allegedly is a jj instructor just makes his incompetence even worse.

The rubber arm flailing around was pretty funny in a morbid way, getting elbows and hammer fists bonked on his dome at the same time. Wild. I hope Hill’s arm isn’t too fucked, do we have any updates on that?

2 Likes

Said it wasn’t broken…dislocated…guess they popped it back in and he’ll be fine

I’ll be honest…I was kinda chuckling thru the whole sequence

1 Like