JOHN MURPHY SUBS CARLOS CLINE

COMBAT IN THE CAGE

KNEEBAR ROUND 3

ttt for Murphy

Arias

BUMP

congrats to murphy. he was on the rough end of a beating and pulled off an all-or-nothing move before time ran out.

Congrats Bro!

Nice win!!

full results??

soon...

It was a sweet move. His entry was perfect for the rolling kneebar. Clean tight roll and real tight on the leg afterwards. Looked like he totally caught Carlos by surprise. Murphy was definitely losing the fight at that point, Carlos was landing some good blows, some good shoots, and G&P, but he got caught in a bad spot giving Murhy the perfect set up for the kneebar. During the fight Murphy did show some good sprawls and defense on the ground.  He just needs to tighten up his hands and loose the "wax on wax off" hand work.  It was one of the better fights that night for sure.

Exciting fight by both competitors - Murphy executed his roll perfectly and caught Cline by surprise - the crowd loved that fight.

Good analysis Steve.

Jon has badass leglocks.

He also really does have good hands, I think he was just tentative to let them fly for fear of getting taken down.

Carlos definitely won the first two rounds and was winning the third when Jon caught him.

That was only Jon's second pro fight.

Expect BIG things from him in the future.

I really look forward to seeing more of him! He put on an awsome show and has a great look too. He is a bit more unique compared to the tattooed shaved head fighter. typical fighter. Something about him demonstrates a unique charachter.

That fight was WAY better than the main event...a real snoozer with some of the worst ground technique I have seen in a pro fight, let alone a championship bout. But, that is another thread entirely. Don't want to hijack this one.

Steve, I wouldn't call the Main event a 'snoozer' both Roesler and Doyle let it all hang out...one of the best fights I have seen...

Ed,

I would agree that they they worked their butts off, no doubt about it  Three very hard rounds of fighting. And they deserve major props for doing so! Anyone who gets in the cage deserves props so, my comments are not intended in that manner in the slightest.

One of the best fights seen? No way. I might feel different it these were two first timers fighting, but not for a championship bout. From a technical/analytical point of view, it was a very poor showing of ground skill. I think anyone watching that fight would agree. Everyone where I was sitting was in agreement. Doyle showed little ability to pass a nearly continually open and sloppy guard.  As if he had no idea what to do.  Roesler was practically asking him to pass, he never closed the guard once. Yet, Doyle kept ending up in Roesler's guard throughout the fight and showed little attempt or knowledge of how to escape. Most of the fight was spent in this position. No action, poor kimura attempts, and poor escape/defense by Doyle. Why Roesler never closed his guard while trying to finish those kimuras was unbelieveable (had to be about half a dozen times).  Doyle practically gave him the kimura time and time again and he could not finish it. Also, IMO, it was Roesler who won that fight, simply based on his agression, continual submission attempts, and Doyle's lack luster defense. Clearly it was close as it was a split decision.

Any other comments on this fight? I am curious what others who saw it think?

For my money, the best fights of the night from the ones I saw (I missed the first 4) were Murphy vs Cline, Levy Vs. Carmody, and Makovsky vs. Tinh.

Mike, here are the full results...

USKBA Amateur MMA Super Middleweight Northeast Championship Title
- John Benson-Salgado def Joseph Latour by unanimous decision (40-36, 40-36, 40-36).
Undercard
- Brad Frank def David Elias by submission (rear naked choke) at 2:31 of Round 2.
- Jim Bova def Rich Volpe by submission (triangle choke) at 2:48 of Round 1.
- Neil Mendez def Sal Gulino by submission (armbar) at 2:14 of Round 1.
- Adolfo Sanchez def John Young by submission (guillotine) at 2:58 of Round 1.
- Eric Ott def Mike Marco by submission (triangle choke) at 2:10 of Round 3.
- Greg Previte def Jorge Makdissi at 2:59 of Round 1.
- Emmanuel Rose def Chris Laird by submission (armbar) at 1:26 of Round 1.
- Anthony Abatelli def Mike Prokop by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
- Al McGrath def Nolan Armpriester by submission (triangle choke) at 2:04 of Round 2.
- Jeff Shank def Reynaldo Reyes by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

"COMBAT IN THE CAGE IV - EVOLUTIONS" QUICK RESULTS
Professional MMA
December 9, 2006
Asbury Park, New Jersey

Combat in the Cage Light Heavyweight Championship Title Defense
- John Doyle def Travis Roesler by split decision.
Undercard
- Zach Makovsky def Tinh Tupy by unanimous decision.
- Nissim Levy def Garrett Carmody by unanimous decision.
- Scott Molloy def Dave Drago by referee stoppage at 2:59 of Round 2.
- Jon Murphy def Carlos Cline by submission keylock) at 1:13 of Round 3.
- Tim Troxell def Steve DeAngelis by submission (rear naked choke) at 1:35 of Round 1.
- Johnny Carson def Radji Bryson-Barrett by split decision.
- Anthony Montanaro def Mike Schneck, Jr. by submission (guillotine) at 2:04 of Round 1.
- Diego Jimenez def Stephen McCabe by submission (rear naked choke) at 1:55 of Round 1.

Hey Steve... I wasn't at the event, but in John's defense, he has only been training formally for 4 months! He's only recently learned what a kimura is, nevermind how to defend it. But the guy has heart, athleticism, great work ethic, power and more. He will get better quick. I know Travis has been training for quite a few years so I am not defending his performance. John is undefeated which gave him the opportunity to compete for the championship and to defend it. A win is a win and he will get more technical as he goes. Just my two cents.

Hey Brad, what up? I agree about his heart 100%. A win is a win, and he deserves it for sure. Like I said, major props for 3 hard rounds..to both guys. I have no doubt about the fact that they will improve.

As a spectator, I don't know the background of all the guys fighting so, watching the fight, I gotta be honest about what I saw. I hope you don't take it wrong, just my critique of the fight and what the guys showed. I am sure they will both learn a lot from the fight.

I was wondering why you were not there? I was looking around to say hola.

Brad and Rigel have done wonders in the last few months with John...

"I wasn't at the event, but in John's defense, he has only been training formally for 4 months!"

He did good for 4 months training, but with no prior experience why is he fighting this soon?

I also thought the main event was a much less exciting fight then the rest of the night.

edited* wrong place.