Johnson: After UFC, I never want to work again

Maybe if he lives in a trailer house.

Let's say he fights till he's 40 (rare), and lives to be 76 (average american male). I'm not sure he realizes how much damn money one needs to live on for 36yrs?

Authority Figure - 
spliff -
Authority Figure - 
TzTinkle - Even Manny Pacquaio is going to have to get a job when he is done fighting. Very few fighters end their careers in a beautiful place.

Manny Pacquiao Career Earnings Will Reach $300 Million With Rios Fight

so was tysons
Manny manages his money much better. He does more philanthropy than Bentley buying.

And he isn't relying on Don King. Phone Post 3.0

Are you just making things up as you go along?

This couldn't be further from the truth.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynitti/2013/12/11/irs-the-latest-to-send-manny-pacquiao-to-the-mat-boxer-reportedly-owes-18-million/

Good luck to him - the dude was working as a forklift driver while he was fighting in the WEC so I can see why he wouldn't exactly be eager to go back to work.

When his Xbox contract is up he should negotiate with Sony. Get a bidding war going. Phone Post 3.0

LOL @ the retirement advice in this thread. Phone Post 3.0

A multi year reigning and defending champ in the UFC should be able to retire after he's done.  If one is the top of the food chain in any other top professional sport, they can.  However, the fact taht he only makes $58K per fight to headline FOX cards is absurd.  LOL at $29K to show for a defending champ on FOX.

44 Magnum - 
Authority Figure - 
spliff -
Authority Figure - 
TzTinkle - Even Manny Pacquaio is going to have to get a job when he is done fighting. Very few fighters end their careers in a beautiful place.

Manny Pacquiao Career Earnings Will Reach $300 Million With Rios Fight

so was tysons
Manny manages his money much better. He does more philanthropy than Bentley buying.

And he isn't relying on Don King. Phone Post 3.0

Are you just making things up as you go along?

This couldn't be further from the truth.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynitti/2013/12/11/irs-the-latest-to-send-manny-pacquiao-to-the-mat-boxer-reportedly-owes-18-million/

He is contesting the Phillipines tax issue and there's evidence it might be politically motivated. He's a huge public figure who probably has close to a 1,000 employees. He is an elected figure and he's the person people go to when there is an natural disaster or economic problem in his home country. He's very very powerful. And that's a threat.

It's not uncommon for athletes to have tax issues in multiple countries. That may be an issue for his accountants and lawyers. Although I don't doubt he owes money in the U.S.

I think  a lot of other people find it easy to hate people that have more than them. Folks would rather imagine his ruin than congratulate his success.

Manny is going to die rich. I know that's disappointing to a lot of people. But it's worth getting used to.

The article you linked says he owes $18 million and grossed $38 last year. So he could basically give the IRS the purse from his next 3 fights and be out of debt. lol

8flat - Maybe if he lives in a trailer house.

Let's say he fights till he's 40 (rare), and lives to be 76 (average american male). I'm not sure he realizes how much damn money one needs to live on for 36yrs?

It's profoundly over-estimated by people who have delusional and/or child-like estimations of what it takes to be content in life.

You see videos of someone like Koscheck who appears to be living a totally unsustainable lifestyle, he's due for a crash and burn when the UFC money stops but seriously, a lot of people are TOTALLY cool with 2K or 3K disposable income a month which may involve broaching the principle investment after a number of years.

lol that's not gonna happen in that weight division.  Even if he defends his belt for years, that divison doesn't pull in the PPV numbers.  I'd rather watch Invicta than a 125 pound title defense.

He probably nets $100-200k a year already. It's all about saving and investing. Phone Post 3.0

KingofBJJ - 

"I want my son and my wife to have a good life and never have to worry about anything," Johnson says

--

This ain't the 1950s. Men aren't expected to provide the primary income for the family anymore. Women are expected to get off of their fat asses and get a job. And no, raising kids is not a job. Housewives went out with the station wagon.

He's also not a plumber.  He's the number 1 fighter in the world in his weight class headlining cards for the UFC on a major network.  He will have now headlined his 3rd fight in a row on FOX and his previous fight was a co-main event on a PPV.  To be honest, that right there should be enough to retire on. 

Apparently FOX is paying the UFC $100M/ year for 4 fights per year.  If they think MM is such an exciting fighter that they will continuously pit him in main events to keep the FOX execs happy, he should be paid for it.  If he fights on FOX 1 more time, that would be 4 shows where the UFC made approx $100M off him headlining.  I think it's safe to say they could pay their main event fighter 2% of that amount.

KingofBJJ -

Perhaps.  Many fighters, have talked about having to live in Trailer parks, with their parents or even in their cars.  These are guys who are fighting in the UFC.

Dj is married, and has one kid. If he buys a decent house, and doesn't get divorced, he could really be okay once he's done. Forrest Griffin said if you're not financially stable after 3 wins in the ufc, it's time to retire. Of course, Forrest drove the scion he won on TUF forever, and doesn't have an airplane like Koschek, but it can be done if you're frugal. Phone Post

LOL at financially stable after 3 UFC wins, not factoring in that some get paid $8K to show while others get millions to show.  I don't think a guy making $8K + $8K who wins 3 in his first year, or $48K before manager/trainer fees, taxes, etc.. is expected to be financially stable.  That's like $25K a year.  Even if you quadruple that show/win money, making $100K in 1 year does not set one up for retirement.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

LOL at financially stable after 3 UFC wins, not factoring in that some get paid $8K to show while others get millions to show.  I don't think a guy making $8K + $8K who wins 3 in his first year, or $48K before manager/trainer fees, taxes, etc.. is expected to be financially stable.  That's like $25K a year.  Even if you quadruple that show/win money, making $100K in 1 year does not set one up for retirement.

LOL at people who have no idea what the fighters actually make dismissing comments from someone who does. Phone Post 3.0

dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

LOL at people who have no idea what the fighters actually make dismissing comments from someone who does. Phone Post 3.0

Ahhh...one of the idiots that think all UFC fighters are millionaires due to the super secret and lucrative backroom bonuses.  I actually have friends that have fought in the UFC and know exactly what they got paid versus what their contract stated, and a percentage of the time it did include a non disclosed bonus.    You?

Fights -

It's profoundly over-estimated by people who have delusional and/or child-like estimations of what it takes to be content in life.

You see videos of someone like Koscheck who appears to be living a totally unsustainable lifestyle, he's due for a crash and burn when the UFC money stops but seriously, a lot of people are TOTALLY cool with 2K or 3K disposable income a month which may involve broaching the principle investment after a number of years.

Seriously. A $500k house in 98% of the country is more house than most families need. 20% down leaves a monthly payment of $2600. Assuming that as a belt holding fighter in the UFC, 2x a year you can make balloon payments and that mortgage drops to $800 a month within a couple of years. Within 10 fights in the UFC if you aren't set for life, you have made some huge mistakes. Phone Post 3.0

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

Ahhh...one of the idiots that think all UFC fighters are millionaires due to the super secret and lucrative backroom bonuses.  I actually have friends that have fought in the UFC and know exactly what they got paid versus what their contract stated, and a percentage of the time it did include a non disclosed bonus.    You?

Ahh yes they are all millionaires. Because that is totally what I said.

Now when it comes down to whose word I take between an actual fighter who knows what fighters really make after being in the UFC for at least 3 fights and the internet guy with "friends" that have fought and told him what the UFC pays. Guess which person is more believable? Either say who they are and what they made or it isn't relevant to bring it up. Phone Post 3.0

I know it is semantics but it drives me nuts how his quote: “My bigger end-game goal is when I’m done fighting, I never have to work again.”

changes in the headline to "After UFC I never want to work again." 

His quote seems to be about a focus on security...the headline quote makes it seem like he is seeking a life of leisure. 

ryanJ - 

I know it is semantics but it drives me nuts how his quote: “My bigger end-game goal is when I’m done fighting, I never have to work again.”

changes in the headline to "After UFC I never want to work again." 

His quote seems to be about a focus on security...the headline quote makes it seem like he is seeking a life of leisure. 

Seriously. There is a huge disconnect. People seem to think that in order to retire it means that you have to be set up to live life like a Rick Ross video. 

DJ is sponsored by XBOX so I'm sure that's bringing in some coin.