Johnson: After UFC, I never want to work again

KingofBJJ - 
dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

LOL at financially stable after 3 UFC wins, not factoring in that some get paid $8K to show while others get millions to show.  I don't think a guy making $8K + $8K who wins 3 in his first year, or $48K before manager/trainer fees, taxes, etc.. is expected to be financially stable.  That's like $25K a year.  Even if you quadruple that show/win money, making $100K in 1 year does not set one up for retirement.

LOL at people who have no idea what the fighters actually make dismissing comments from someone who does. Phone Post 3.0

LOL at people who have no idea what the fighters actually make, but post replies dissing people who allegedly don't know what fighters actually make.

Close but actually I am just agreeing with someone who knows what they are talking about, and has first hand experience with the UFC pay structure. That isn't hard to see unless your hatred of the UFC extends to calling Forrest Griffin a schill who parrots out whatever Dana tells him to say.

dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

LOL at financially stable after 3 UFC wins, not factoring in that some get paid $8K to show while others get millions to show.  I don't think a guy making $8K + $8K who wins 3 in his first year, or $48K before manager/trainer fees, taxes, etc.. is expected to be financially stable.  That's like $25K a year.  Even if you quadruple that show/win money, making $100K in 1 year does not set one up for retirement.

LOL at people who have no idea what the fighters actually make dismissing comments from someone who does. Phone Post 3.0

Ahhh...one of the idiots that think all UFC fighters are millionaires due to the super secret and lucrative backroom bonuses.  I actually have friends that have fought in the UFC and know exactly what they got paid versus what their contract stated, and a percentage of the time it did include a non disclosed bonus.    You?

Ahh yes they are all millionaires. Because that is totally what I said.

Now when it comes down to whose word I take between an actual fighter who knows what fighters really make after being in the UFC for at least 3 fights and the internet guy with "friends" that have fought and told him what the UFC pays. Guess which person is more believable? Either say who they are and what they made or it isn't relevant to bring it up. Phone Post 3.0

Serious question here....

You think the below scenarios are the same? Since the comment I responded to was Forrest saying any fighter with 3 UFC wins should be financially stable...

GSP winning 3 times at an estimated $1M- $2M per fight, so making between $3M- $6M in 3 fights.

Sergio Pettis won at UFC 167 making $8K + $8K, so he made a total of $16K from the UFC.  Say he has an increasing payscale and wins 2 more at $10K + $10K and $12K + $12K.  In a year or so, he would make $60K.  Say he pays (roughly) 20% off the top to Duke and other trainers/managers, he's grossing $48K and now pays ALL taxes as an independent contractor.  With deductions, if he's lucky, he'll only pay out 20%, so call it $9K, netting him around $39K for the year.

If you really think Forrest's blanket statement of any UFC fighter only having to win 3 times makes sense when some are getting $6K to show I don't know what to tell you.  It really is simple mathematics.

Someone call up Brandon, Ryan, and Dustin and tell them all they have to do is win 2 more time over their UFC careers and they will be financially independent because Forrest said so.

UFC Fight Night:  Belfort vs Henderson

Brandon Thatch:  $12,000 ($6,000 to show, $6,000 win bonus)

Ryan LaFlare:  $12,000 ($6,000 to show, $6,000 win bonus)

Dustin Ortiz:  $12,000 ($6,000 to show, $6,000 win bonus)

dubate - 
Fights -
8flat - Maybe if he lives in a trailer house.

Let's say he fights till he's 40 (rare), and lives to be 76 (average american male). I'm not sure he realizes how much damn money one needs to live on for 36yrs?

It's profoundly over-estimated by people who have delusional and/or child-like estimations of what it takes to be content in life.

You see videos of someone like Koscheck who appears to be living a totally unsustainable lifestyle, he's due for a crash and burn when the UFC money stops but seriously, a lot of people are TOTALLY cool with 2K or 3K disposable income a month which may involve broaching the principle investment after a number of years.

Seriously. A $500k house in 98% of the country is more house than most families need. 20% down leaves a monthly payment of $2600. Assuming that as a belt holding fighter in the UFC, 2x a year you can make balloon payments and that mortgage drops to $800 a month within a couple of years. Within 10 fights in the UFC if you aren't set for life, you have made some huge mistakes. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah, it usually boils down to lifestyle choices.

I don't know how much mid and lower level UFC guys are paid, how much they can expect to earn over a medium to long career and if its enough to bank 'set for life money' but I do know that listening to people say shit like OK SO BASICALLY YOU GONNA NEED 100K A MONTH AND IT GOTTA COME FROM INTEREST ONLY SO YOU GOTTA HAVE AT LEAST OVER 9000 MILLION TA RETIRE is annoying.

I think it's because they're just kids with no perspective on reality (yet). The vast majority of people who retire don't retire to a lavish party of coke, whores and making it rain with Jacksons. Depending on your housing situation, how much travel figures into your plans and what makes you happy in life, it doesn't take some insane sum of money to retire. There's no doubt in my mind that some UFC careers will offer enough to do just that if managed properly and the temptation for 'baller living' is resisted.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

Ahhh...one of the idiots that think all UFC fighters are millionaires due to the super secret and lucrative backroom bonuses.  I actually have friends that have fought in the UFC and know exactly what they got paid versus what their contract stated, and a percentage of the time it did include a non disclosed bonus.    You?

Ahh yes they are all millionaires. Because that is totally what I said.

Now when it comes down to whose word I take between an actual fighter who knows what fighters really make after being in the UFC for at least 3 fights and the internet guy with "friends" that have fought and told him what the UFC pays. Guess which person is more believable? Either say who they are and what they made or it isn't relevant to bring it up. Phone Post 3.0

Serious question here....

You think the below scenarios are the same? Since the comment I responded to was Forrest saying any fighter with 3 UFC wins should be financially stable...

GSP winning 3 times at an estimated $1M- $2M per fight, so making between $3M- $6M in 3 fights.

Sergio Pettis won at UFC 167 making $8K + $8K, so he made a total of $16K from the UFC.  Say he has an increasing payscale and wins 2 more at $10K + $10K and $12K + $12K.  In a year or so, he would make $60K.  Say he pays (roughly) 20% off the top to Duke and other trainers/managers, he's grossing $48K and now pays ALL taxes as an independent contractor.  With deductions, if he's lucky, he'll only pay out 20%, so call it $9K, netting him around $39K for the year.

If you really think Forrest's blanket statement of any UFC fighter only having to win 3 times makes sense when some are getting $6K to show I don't know what to tell you.  It really is simple mathematics.

I've never seen an 8/8 guy only go up 2k on his next fight but ok, let's assume your numbers are true. If this is the case and you are someone like Pettis you have been fighting professionally for only 2 years. After taxes you are clearing 40k a year and fighting full time. If you are living the life of a moderately successful (for your 20 year old age group) person you either have roommates or you are living alone in a studio apartment (either situation is $800) and you have a car payment (assume $400 a month). Even with gas, insurance, and food your monthly nut is south of 2k. That leaves 16k a year for whatever. That is the definition of financially stable. Now if he continues to win he gets paid way more. If he doesn't have what it takes to continue to win at the top level then maybe he should take the money he has been wisely setting aside and pay for college and get a different job.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Someone call up Brandon, Ryan, and Dustin and tell them all they have to do is win 2 more time over their UFC careers and they will be financially independent because Forrest said so.

Do you really not understand that the phrases "financially stable" and "financially independent" are not interchangable?

Also Thatch already made 62k for his first fight in the UFC and the second one was out of the country so the websites just repeat what he made on his 1st fight when figures are not disclosed.

LOL...OK.  So a professional athlete, who has reached the pinnacle of the sport, the UFC, can be financially stable as long as they have roomates or don't splurge on a 1 bedroom apartment.

dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Do you really not understand that the phrases "financially stable" and "financially independent" are not interchangable?

Also Thatch already made 62k for his first fight in the UFC and the second one was out of the country so the websites just repeat what he made on his 1st fight when figures are not disclosed.

Settle down Nancy.  I used the incorrect adjective.  Do you really not understand that Forrest is not a financial planner so it's silly that you take his blanket statement on whether anyone, regardless of demographic or income, can be financially stable or not?

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

He didn't say independent, he said stable. That means you're not eating ketchup and rice. Too many athletes don't know how to save. Guys are making 24k with a win, which is more than Matt Hughes made when he first became champion. Yet Matt Hughes was set up before he got the Zuffa job. Hughes wasn't buying Benzes and rocking Diamond necklaces like Pettis. Forrest was Ufc champion driving a.scion. Koschek was never a ufc champion, yet he has a Ferrari and an airplane. Guess who will probably have to go back to work after fighting? Phone Post

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

LOL...OK.  So a professional athlete, who has reached the pinnacle of the sport, the UFC, can be financially stable as long as they have roomates or don't splurge on a 1 bedroom apartment.

No, but a 21 year old who has only fought 3 times can. This same person, if they continue to win, will be a millionaire before their 25th birthday. Phone Post 3.0

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
dubate - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Settle down Nancy.  I used the incorrect adjective.  Do you really not understand that Forrest is not a financial planner so it's silly that you take his blanket statement on whether anyone, regardless of demographic or income, can be financially stable or not?

Ahhh... you do love the name calling don't you?

You don't have to be a financial planner to realize that as long as you live within your means, netting over 40k a year in your early 20's and netting over a hundred thousand dollars annually in your late twenties & into your 30's should make you financially stable. Phone Post 3.0

eljamaiquino -
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

He didn't say independent, he said stable. That means you're not eating ketchup and rice. Too many athletes don't know how to save. Guys are making 24k with a win, which is more than Matt Hughes made when he first became champion. Yet Matt Hughes was set up before he got the Zuffa job. Hughes wasn't buying Benzes and rocking Diamond necklaces like Pettis. Forrest was Ufc champion driving a.scion. Koschek was never a ufc champion, yet he has a Ferrari and an airplane. Guess who will probably have to go back to work after fighting? Phone Post
But how will people know that I'm making over a $150,000 year if I don't spend money like someone who has 30 million dollars in the bank? Phone Post 3.0

I thought this was about DJ..ugh. {sidesteps thread}

eljamaiquino - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

Yes I'm aware of the independent/stable adjective that was used.  I addressed it roughly 30 minutes prior to your post. 

My point is Forrest made a silly statement that anyone who wins 3 times in the UFC will be financially stable.  He didn't even say 3 times per year, like Dubate seems to be hung up on.  For instance, by Forrest's blanket statement, if a guy goes 2-1 in his first year, 1-1 the following year, and 0-2 the next year before he's cut he should be financially STABLE after those 3 years because he has 3 wins.  That guy woud prob net around $20K/ year and of course Forrest didn't factor in if this fighter lives in New York, California, Montana, or Brazil.

Also, Forrest Griffin got paid $275K for his last Tito fight, $275K for the Franklin, $310K for the Rampage fight, and $160K plus PPV percentage for the Evans fight.  Prob a bit easier for him to say a figher should be financially STABLE versus a guy making $6K to show, right?

Stea1th - If you can't survive after making a million and having that in your account then you deserve to lose it. Money on interest alone would be enough to survive. This is assuming you don't touch it and do it on extremely low risk stuff. Even if you took a quarter and threw it on some low risk stocks you would be fine. Phone Post 3.0

This....anyone should be able to retire with $1M if they wanted.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
eljamaiquino - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -

Yes I'm aware of the independent/stable adjective that was used.  I addressed it roughly 30 minutes prior to your post. 

My point is Forrest made a silly statement that anyone who wins 3 times in the UFC will be financially stable.  He didn't even say 3 times per year, like Dubate seems to be hung up on.  For instance, by Forrest's blanket statement, if a guy goes 2-1 in his first year, 1-1 the following year, and 0-2 the next year before he's cut he should be financially STABLE after those 3 years because he has 3 wins.  That guy woud prob net around $20K/ year and of course Forrest didn't factor in if this fighter lives in New York, California, Montana, or Brazil.

Also, Forrest Griffin got paid $275K for his last Tito fight, $275K for the Franklin, $310K for the Rampage fight, and $160K plus PPV percentage for the Evans fight.  Prob a bit easier for him to say a figher should be financially STABLE versus a guy making $6K to show, right?

Not hung up on 3 times a year. You came up with that scenario, I just commented on it. Phone Post 3.0

this thread has hilariously bad math in it.

Is it math? Is it meth?

dubate -
ryanJ - 

I know it is semantics but it drives me nuts how his quote: “My bigger end-game goal is when I’m done fighting, I never have to work again.”

changes in the headline to "After UFC I never want to work again." 

His quote seems to be about a focus on security...the headline quote makes it seem like he is seeking a life of leisure. 

Seriously. There is a huge disconnect. People seem to think that in order to retire it means that you have to be set up to live life like a Rick Ross video. 

Vtfu for Rick Ross name drop!!!! Phone Post 3.0