Jon Jones on Mayweather: boxing pay vs UFC/MMA pay

The argument that MMA is "more middle class" is obfuscation.  No, it is not.  MMA pays lower throughout.

Here are the purses from the PBF show: 

Floyd $41,500,000

Alvarez $5,000,000

Danny Garcia $1,500,000

Matthysse  $800,000

Ishe Smith  $250,000

Carlos Molina $100,000

Pablo Cano $100,000

Ashely Theopane $100,000

Macedawgg - 

The argument that MMA is "more middle class" is obfuscation.  No, it is not.  MMA pays lower throughout.

Here are the purses from the PBF show: 

Floyd $41,500,000

Alvarez $5,000,000

Danny Garcia $1,500,000

Matthysse  $800,000

Ishe Smith  $250,000

Carlos Molina $100,000

Pablo Cano $100,000

Ashely Theopane $100,000

That proves what I was saying. Boxing is more 1%, whereas MMA is more balanced. The very top in boxing make a tremendous amount, but there is not much middle ground and a big, sharp drop-off at the lower end. You're using an example of a gigantic PPV buy that comes once every year or two. Look for a boxing bout that has a lesser headliner, without a Mayweather, and then look at he purse breakdown. Even so, if you take the top UFC ppv from 2012/2013 and compare its purse payout to last Saturday's boxing bout, it won't even be worth writing the comparison.

I have posted these numerous times for numerous events--it is simply a myth that only the top 2 get paid in boxing.  Just not true. 

4th bout from the top are making $100k--each. 

Let's look at a Boxing PPV that doesn't have PBF headlining:

Rios Vs. Abril, April 2012
(Top Rank Boxing, Mandalay Bay)

Rios: 450,000
Abril: 100,00
Alvarado: 95,000
Herrera: 20,000
Gesta: 25,000
Cuero: 8,000
Flores: 2,500
Mitchell: 1,000
Crawford: 6,500
Gorges: 5,000
Zewski: 8,500
Baue: 6,000
Flores: 2,500
Medina: 1,000
Williams: 1,500
Aguiano: 2,000

I agree. Nowhere did I say the top 2 are the only ones who paid in boxing. 100K is still a lot of money compared to the purse for an average UFC fighter, though, which is my point -- that the amount of money a boxer makes on an undercard is a sharper drop off compared to a mma fighter. Again, you're leveraging the argument to your favor by taking the biggest PPV boxing has to offer. Take a boxing bout that doesn't have a Mayweather and print out those purses. Find a boxing card whose PPV buys are similar to a particular UFC card and then compare.

I found a link that displays some purses from boxing and a UFC card.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/3/15/2053137/examining-pay-structure-in-boxing-and-mma

The author shows that the dropoff is more substantial in boxing but it's fair. The drop from the top to the undercard in mma is not as significant, it's more in the middle. That's all I'm saying.

ssj - At best 2M per fight (JBJ).

I would like to think the top tier UFC Champ's (maybe 5+ defenses, so cats like GSP, JBJ, ALDO, AS (formerly, obviously, but still worthy of ANDERSON SILVA MONEY) should be making more in the region of 10M per fight, at least, ideally.

First time Champs/Early defenses should be getting at least 1M and then subsequently more and more millions per successful defense

but thats just me

I would agree with this, which is why I asked because you said in your first post that "by the time he retires, he'll be scratching in the $1M range at best." The guys is 26 years old. I was confused why you'd think he'd only be making $1M a fight in possibly 5-10 years when he makes more now. I bet right now he's pulling $1- $2.5M per fight from the UFC alone. That's around $3- $7.5M per year not including his Nike or other endorsements. I can't imagine Nike is any less than $1M per year.

Boxing has 17 weight classes and FOUR major titles (WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO). There are very few major champions who are PPV attractions.

Understand that Andre Ward doesn't even fight on PPV and here are some of his purses:

$1,367,500 vs Chad Dawson

$900,000 vs Carl Froch (who made $600,000 + UK TV money) [Source: Dan Raphael]

I'll delve more into this when I have time, but anyone who does real research will find that unknown or marginally known boxers can get better paydays than their relative equals (in terms of drawing power) in MMA.

I am not saying that MMA fighters "deserve" or are "entitled" to more money. Just pointing out that the revenue to pay them more exists. MMA fighters lack the leverage or legislation that exists in boxing with competing networks, promoters and the Muhammad Ali act that allows them to earn more.

The ability to issue their own titles AND require exclusivity results in a market where no bidding occurs.  Promoters don't have to compete--just stifle. 

*duplicate

ssj - 
LILBROCK - 
ssj - Poor JBJ, I think by the time he retires he might be scratching in the 1mil range at best

if in 10-20 years people are getting paid 10-15mil as Champs, it won't be in U Fight Cheaply, it will be another org stepping over UFC

How much do you honestly think Jones gets paid per fight now?

Taking into account the shady 'locker room bonuses', and using Jon Jones last disclosed pay (400K), which was roughly 550k PPV buys, it would perhaps be around 800-900K, being optimistic with his PPV payout without calculating it based off Randy's old contract, which fits in with my estimate of roughly 1M, at best.

Don't get me wrong I would love for JBJ to be 'the man' holding up the UFC to force up fighter pay for himself, and subsequently other champs and then a trickle down effect.

Also this states http://www.mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/ufc-career-fighter-earnings.html JBJ has only made 2.2m in his entire UFC career .. lol, obviously its not taking into account his PPV perk up, but still.

Jones is making 7 figures a fight.