Jon Jones Once Said Lyoto Was All Hype

Certainly very interesting how events unfolded since.

Jon Jones Q&A: 'Machida ... is very beatable'

By Sergio Non, USA TODAY

If Jon Jones seems a little raw to be viewed as championship material, but even still a month shy of his 22nd birthday, he's already in the same spot where light-heavyweight titleholder Lyoto Machida was only two years ago.

Jones, known for his weird fighting style, has an 8-0 record in professional MMA, including 2-0 in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Machida, known for his weird fighting style, was 10-0 in mid-2007, including 2-0 in UFC.

But the comparison ends there. In fact, Jones casts himself as Machida's polar opposite.

"I think Machida is getting a lot of hype, and I know he has lots of big wins over a lot of big fighters, and a lot of experience over me," Jones told me recently. "I honestly believe that a great Muay Thai champion will beat a great karate fighter any day; it's been proven on lots of occasions. If Machida has (the belt) by the time I get to that level, I'll be ready for him. ... I want to be that greater Muay Thai fighter to beat a great karate champion. "

In fact, Jones isn't a great Muay Thai fighter yet -- he's a Greco-Roman wrestler who only started training in Muay Thai relatively recently. By his own admission, he's still learning the fundamentals of striking.

^^agreed..the fans win =)

you're putting words in his mouth by subtly changing the wording.

GTFO

"I think Machida is getting a lot of hype" does not equal "Lyoto is all hype."  

my bad guys, honest mistake. would change title if i still could

He predicted it would be a great muy-thai fighter to take down Machida.

Couldn't have been more correct.

" getting a lot of hype" =/= "is a lot of hype".....

K-Dub-"T" -  " getting a lot of hype" =/= "is a lot of hype".....

i know...honest mistake =(

Glovegate - Both guys are annoying at times in their own way.

Makes for the best kind of fight. No matter who wins you can be happy. :)
That's exactly how I felt for the Hughes/Kos fight.

Jamiee - you're putting words in his mouth by subtly changing the wording.

GTFO

Lame. VTFD

Sort of reminiscent of UG News headlines.