Jonathan Goulet opens up on his depression

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/former-ufc-fighter-jonathan-goulet-opens-up-on-battle-with-depression-i-wanted-to-die/

2 Likes

Former UFC welterweight Jonathan Goulet opened up about his lifelong battle with depression, saying at times he wishes he would die.

Goulet is a pioneer of mixed martial arts in Canada. The 41-year-old native of Victoria, Quebec, racked up a 13-5 MMA record between 2001 and 2005 while fighting for promotions such as UCC, TKO, SuperBrawl, and Extreme Challenge.

His impressive run on the regional circuit caught the eye of former UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, who brought Goulet into the UFC in 2005 when he marked a successful promotional debut with a doctor stoppage victory over Jay Hieron. Goulet would go on to have four separate stints in the UFC, racking up a 4-5 overall record with the world’s leading MMA promotion. The Quebecer even got to make the walk into the Bell Centre in Montreal twice, at UFC 83 and UFC 113.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfJ2D0HyuH/?utm_source=ig_embed

![jonathan-goulet-ufc-3 | MMA Junkie](upload://fWYr8p4M5ePQvB9hTZET1GHqaUq.jpeg)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SrQwoX2TkA&feature=emb_logo

Canada - Wikipedia

The road warrior?  He held the record before Askren I think for fastest to ge ko’d... vs Bang I think 

Dugs95 -

The road warrior?  He held the record before Askren I think for fastest to ge ko’d... vs Bang I think 

Correct 

Dugs95 - 

He’s a tough guy. Always scrappy. Anyone can eat a hard shot and have their lights turned off.

1 Like
Canooke -
Dugs95 - 

He’s a tough guy. Always scrappy. Anyone can eat a hard shot and have their lights turned off.

He’s definitely a tough dude. His record speaks for itself. 4-5 in the UFC against the top guys is pretty bad ass if you ask me. 

1 Like
TKnuckles - 
Canooke -
Dugs95 - 

He’s definitely a tough dude. His record speaks for itself. 4-5 in the UFC against the top guys is pretty bad ass if you ask me. 

Not only that, but while I don’t remember every minute of every fight I’ve seen of his, I definitely took away the impression that he’s “tough”.

Hong Kong Phooey - 

swick

Canooke -
TKnuckles - 
Canooke -
Dugs95 - 

Not only that, but while I don’t remember every minute of every fight I’ve seen of his, I definitely took away the impression that he’s “tough”.

It’s been so long. Honestly, I remember him. I remember his fight with Duane. But that’s all been so long ago. I hope the best for Johnathan. Depression can be a mfer.

we fought as the swing bout for anderson silva vs chris leben, but they were running out of time on spike tv so they sent silva and leben out first,  the match was quick so i ended up being the main event on spike tv that night lol.  goulet got me down up against the cage and elbowed me on the top of my head and my vision went whiteout for a moment, i believe that was the most damaging blow i ever received in fighting, symptoms of mtbi of course from all the sparring and other strikes in fights but that was the one that sticks out.  i have depression and anxiety too but his symptoms may be worse because he was knocked out and also i believe was a steroid user and that exacerbates the issue

4 Likes

^ what makes you think he was a steroid user, luke? any direct evidence or just going by how things were at the time. jonathon goulet looks like gsp if he did meth. all jokes aside, too bad to hear hes suffering. he should look into psychedelics, cbd, and lions mane. fish oil too in high doses. cheers.

looks quite a bit heftier now too in this recent pic.![](upload://hOsxqzMwCt1CS02TmXUFVW7opUe.jpeg)

Lucas Maximus -

we fought as the swing bout for anderson silva vs chris leben, but they were running out of time on spike tv so they sent silva and leben out first,  the match was quick so i ended up being the main event on spike tv that night lol.  goulet got me down up against the cage and elbowed me on the top of my head and my vision went whiteout for a moment, i believe that was the most damaging blow i ever received in fighting, symptoms of mtbi of course from all the sparring and other strikes in fights but that was the one that sticks out.  i have depression and anxiety too but his symptoms may be worse because he was knocked out and also i believe was a steroid user and that exacerbates the issue

I just deduced who you are.  I had no idea you were such an accomplished fighter.  Hespect.

1 Like

Goulet was great to watch.

1 Like