Jordan Peterson: 'Abortion Is Clearly Wrong'

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29078/jordan-peterson-abortion-clearly-wrong-paul-bois

Jordan Peterson: 'Abortion Is Clearly Wrong'

"I don’t think anybody debates that."

The Jordan Peterson craze has swept the online blogosphere, from his appeal to traditionalist archetypes to his attacks on gender theory. What does the professor think about abortion, a topic he rarely speaks about in public?

According to a lecture Peterson gave last year that LifeSiteNews uncovered, the Canadian psyche professor says abortion is "clearly wrong." When asked about the morality of abortion during his lecture, Peterson denounced it as a universal wrong that nobody disputes.

“I don’t think anybody debates that. You wouldn’t recommend that someone you love have one,” he said.

Peterson admitted the practice wrong while not trying to “eliminate the complexity” of what leads to an abortion. “The first question is, ‘Should everything wrong be illegal’?” he said. “That’s a tough question. Everything that’s wrong isn’t illegal. Then there’s the additional complication of the difference, let’s say, in gravity … regarding the problem in relationship between men and women.”

“No matter what you do, it’s wrong. So then the question is, ‘How did you get there?’,” he said. “Well, let’s say you’re in a position where you’re inclined to seek an abortion. The question is, ‘How did you get there?’”

Part of the answer to the question is the important debate swirling around sexual morality and the relationship between men and women, which Peterson has helped to restore.

“The discussion regarding the legality of abortion is nested inside a larger discussion about the morality of abortion, and that’s nested inside a larger discussion about the proper place of sexuality in human behavior,” he said. “And to me that’s the level at which the problem needs to be addressed.”

Peterson expanded on his point by saying that Western society needs to “straighten out” out its confusion about the relationship between men and women.

“They’re bent and warped and demented out of shape,” he said. “One of the things I see with young people, for example, is that they will engage in sexual acts with one another that they would not talk about with one another… It seems to me that if you are willing to engage in a sexual act with someone with whom you would not discuss that act, you probably put the cart before the horse.”

Obviously, Peterson suggests that monogamy and marriage are proper remedies to this increasing problem. However, he believes that the culture will not accept this message and proponents need to tailor their rhetoric.

"You can’t just say to people in the modern world, well, ‘no sex till you’re married’ unless you’re going to get married when you’re very young, and perhaps you should," he said. “I don’t know about that. But I don’t think that we’re mature enough as a culture to have a serious discussion about sexual propriety, especially in the aftermath of the birth control pill. We seriously need to do that, and we haven’t.”

The other shoe finally dropped. 

Peterson's position seems sufficiently nuanced to allow for the pro choice idea the idea that abortion is wrong, but it may in fact be a greater wrong for society to reduce women's autonomy by making abortion illegal.

Furthermore, he seems to suggest that the solution is not more laws imposed by the state, but that young men and women take responsiability for their actions and conduct themselves accordingly.

Yea?

I see no problem with abortions that happen early on.

effinggoof - Peterson's position seems sufficiently nuanced to allow for the pro choice idea the idea that abortion is wrong, but it may in fact be a greater wrong for society to reduce women's autonomy by making abortion illegal.

Furthermore, he seems to suggest that the solution is not more laws imposed by the state, but that young men and women take responsiability for their actions and conduct themselves accordingly.

I believe abortion is wrong but I also believe there are times when it is a better option for some people, mostly young girls hopefully with guidence from their parents

That might sound like a contradiction but some things in ife are not always black and white

But when I listened to my kids heartbeats at 8 weeks and saw their ultrasounds at 12 weeks I can't see how anyone would ever want to disgard that

I find abortion disgusting. It is 2018, we don't need to be sucking fetuses out of women using a vacuum anymore. That is a barbaric practice and better left for the dark ages. As a society, I want to see progress, technologically and morally. The idea that we can decode the gnome, build complex AI machines, and advance nanotechnology, yet still have to suck children out of women is bothersome. It represents a real caveman approach to a problem.

Perhaps when Roe v. Wade was passed it seemed like the ONLY :cough: "choice," but a lot has changed since that decision. Now birth control is widely available, given away in schools and inexpensive, if not free. Planned Parenthood gets hundreds of millions in tax dollars for education, contraception, and counseling. Also, there is the morning after pill, there is plan B, there is male condoms, female condoms, removable IUD devices, surgical options, family planning, abstinence, or even adoption. With the massive influx of legal same sex couples, the demand for adoptable children is growing. It is becoming clear to me that abortion is something better left for the dark ages.

I know, I know, but what about "rape, incest, and the life of the mother..." That's always the liberal comeback. They can only debate this topic on the fringes. That is to take the most extreme case or circumstance and present it as the norm. In reality, with rape kits, and the morning after pill, it is very rare that random rape victims find themselves pregnant with the attacker's child. Incest leading to pregnancy is very rare, and life of the mother is an exception that should be considered. I am willing to consider all three of these, if we can have an honest debate about mainstream abortion. In my eyes, it is nothing more than a crutch irresponsible people use in response to bad sexual judgement. I want to live in a society where personal judgement is increased not subsidized by conveniences such as abortion.

Women want the right to choose, well there are now many many options besides abortion. Women want equality, but have no consideration for the thoughts of the future father. Women want dignity, but have no problem being sexually reckless while averaging multiple abortions in their life time.

I think this is a real issue, I think it is a solvable issue, I think technology can play a huge role here, but we can't ever get to that point unless we agree it is wrong. Otherwise, it is this great beneficial thing, but deep down we ALL know that isn't true.

In for the counterpoint argument that abortions are "right" and should be maximized.

I agree, it's wrong, but a necessary wrong.

mihow - 
jcblass - I find abortion disgusting. It is 2018, we don't need to be sucking fetuses out of women using a vacuum anymore. That is a barbaric practice and better left for the dark ages. As a society, I want to see progress, technologically and morally. The idea that we can decode the gnome, build complex AI machines, and advance nanotechnology, yet still have to suck children out of women is bothersome. It represents a real caveman approach to a problem.

Perhaps when Roe v. Wade was passed it seemed like the ONLY :cough: "choice," but a lot has changed since that decision. Now birth control is widely available, given away in schools and inexpensive, if not free. Planned Parenthood gets hundreds of millions in tax dollars for education, contraception, and counseling. Also, there is the morning after pill, there is plan B, there is male condoms, female condoms, removable IUD devices, surgical options, family planning, abstinence, or even adoption. With the massive influx of legal same sex couples, the demand for adoptable children is growing. It is becoming clear to me that abortion is something better left for the dark ages.

I know, I know, but what about "rape, incest, and the life of the mother..." That's always the liberal comeback. They can only debate this topic on the fringes. That is to take the most extreme case or circumstance and present it as the norm. In reality, with rape kits, and the morning after pill, it is very rare that random rape victims find themselves pregnant with the attacker's child. Incest leading to pregnancy is very rare, and life of the mother is an exception that should be considered. I am willing to consider all three of these, if we can have an honest debate about mainstream abortion. In my eyes, it is nothing more than a crutch irresponsible people use in response to bad sexual judgement. I want to live in a society where personal judgement is increased not subsidized by conveniences such as abortion.

Women want the right to choose, well there are now many many options besides abortion. Women want equality, but have no consideration for the thoughts of the future father. Women want dignity, but have no problem being sexually reckless while averaging multiple abortions in their life time.

I think this is a real issue, I think it is a solvable issue, I think technology can play a huge role here, but we can't ever get to that point unless we agree it is wrong. Otherwise, it is this great beneficial thing, but deep down we ALL know that isn't true.

This is well written idiocy 

abortion is murder and it should be legal and people who think it shouldn’t are caveman who don’t understand progress ( this got me banned from the conservative subreddit lol )

I share a similar belief, but getting wide-spread legislation passed on MY personal beliefs is a bit difficult, so I try to approach the topic rationally.

Your approach got you banned and your views silenced. Good luck making change from a position of censorship.

I think abortion is a moral abomination. If it were solely up to me I would do away with the practice in all forms, however, in a democracy you have to have compromise. I would be OK with allowing the very rare instances of rape, incest and life of the mother in return for a broader ban. In reality, raped women don't have their attacker's babies, incest is a thing of Lifetime movies, but the life of the mother should be a valid concern.

We should not create mass legislation on the basis of a few fringe hypothetical that don't represent a tangible reality. The left seems to want to do this with abortion, while ignoring the fact it is used as a cheap form of birth control in the inner cities. This is unacceptable to me, and they should be forced to defend it from that point of view. Or, from the point of view of articulating what age is an acceptable cut off for abortion, 8 months? 7 months? At what point does the act become "wrong." If it isn't wrong then are we going to reduce the sentences of those drivers who killed a pregnant woman? Should it no longer be considered a double homicide? After all, her baby was just a collection of cells. How about a woman walking to an abortion clinic, should her attacker be charged with double murder? The mother valued the child in the womb as a medical bi-product, not a tangible person.

This debate can be had, and I think the right can actually win, if they approach it from a progressive and technological perspective, and not a religious one

He's advocating for more personal responsibility, which is pretty much his position on most things.

I'm pro-choice, but I'm not exactly stoked about how it's mostly used to erase the consequences of irresponsible behavior. Birth control is widely available in many forms for cheap or free. Not to mention, Plan B.

If sexually active men and women behaved more responsibly, abortions rates would be lower. This is the gist of his argument here (and most of his arguments): Start at the root of the problem.