Jordan to GSW owner: 73 wins don't mean sh--

Warriors’ owner Lacob: Michael Jordan told him 73 wins without a ring ‘don’t mean s—‘

By Kurt HelinFeb 7, 2017, 7:17 PM EST

The Warriors case for being the greatest single-season team ever fell apart last season when they blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals to the Cavaliers.

Don’t think Michael Jordan let the Warriors forget that, either.

Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob was in the studio on 95.7 The Game’s “The Afternoon Delight” show with Greg Papa on Tuesday and told a Jordan story from this summer (hat tip to James Herbert at CBSSports.com for the transcription):

“On the collective bargaining agreement, I was on the labor committee and I was in New York having a bunch of dinners with Michael Jordan and other owners. There were six of us. Actually, Dan was one of them, Dan Gilbert. Anyway, Michael Jordan — people are drinking and having a good time and all that, but there was a moment where he said, you know, ’73 don’t mean s—.’ He did it, Michael Jordan did that. And I looked at him and I just decided not to make a big deal of it. I said, you know, you’re right, we didn’t win it, we had to get better.”

Michael Jordan is still one competitive…. you know what I’m saying. And Lacob was wise to let it drop.

I don’t completely buy MJ’s argument, because I don’t believe titles are the only measure of success. John Stockton, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley and on down the line still had phenomenal careers and deserve to be Hall of Famers, they are not lesser players than Mark Madsen because he got a couple rings and they didn’t. Being a sports fan should not be only about championships, if it is not about enjoying the journey you’re doing it wrong. That doesn’t mean you don’t want your team to win titles, but fandom needs to be broader than that — when your team wins a title, you should feel joy, not relief.

Winning 73 games was a tremendous, historic journey that Warriors fans should not forget.

But Jordan is right about this: In the discussion of the greatest single-season team of all time, the 72-win Bulls do get the upper hand because they got the title, too.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/07/warriors-owner-lacob-michael-jordan-told-him-73-wins-without-a-ring-dont-mean-s/

Haha got love Jordan.

I love how everyone's having a good time dancing and drinking and Jordan randomly drops that line haha.

Another Michael Jordan being an asshole story. My childhood idol 

Jordan still mentally destroying his competition.

Furious White Belt -

Not surprised. Guy throws his HS JV coach under the bus during his HOF speech like 20 years later MJ don't forget these things. 

"I don’t completely buy MJ’s argument, because I don’t believe titles are the only measure of success. John Stockton, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley and on down the line still had phenomenal careers and deserve to be Hall of Famers, they are not lesser players than Mark Madsen because he got a couple rings and they didn’t. "

What a load of shit.

Sure, Stockton/Malone/Ewing/Barkley are better PLAYERS than Madsen, but TEAMS win championships, and Madsen's Lakers squads have bragging rights over the Jazz/Knicks/76ers teams that those Hall of Famers played for. Steph Curry is still a great player and had an all-time great MVP season, but the Warriors TEAM will go down in infamy as a team that blew it's chance at making history.

BRZ -
Furious White Belt -

Not surprised. Guy throws his HS JV coach under the bus during his HOF speech like 20 years later MJ don't forget these things. 

I think to be the absolute greatest at something, a person needs to be borderline sociopathic... It's what drives them to always be working harder than their peers... And keeps the drive going to absolutely destroy anyone in their way.

Is it healthy? Probably not.

Does it make for some impressive performances? Hell yes.

Titles are everything in basketball. There are only 5 guys on the floor. The individual has a greater role than any other team sport. This isn't football, where Jerry Rice can miss out on a ring because of a bad punt. Barkley will probably always be one of the top 10 greatest forwards, but he will never be recognized on the same level as Scottie Pippen because there were only 4 other guys out there and he had plenty of say in whether they won or lost when it mattered most. It sucks, but it is what is.

Haha MJ is one hard ass competitive motherfucker. The best eva!

Jordan's intensity stems from his father's disdain for Michael. He had his older brother picked out for success nd thought Michael's older brother was the real athlete star in the family.

On the court and in life his borther and father bullied the fuck out of him. His entire existence still revolves around showing them up.

The way he was treated by his father and brother is the way he treats teammates. He bullied them to hell and back because that is all he knew how to do.

Jordan may be the most accomplished athlete the world has ever seen, he may be an ultra competitive billionaire.. But deep down he is always going to be a 10 year old boy who lives with constant bullying.

AnthonyWeiner - Bluename, please:

http://basketballbicker.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Royal-Rumble-Sign-Warriors-Blew-3-to-1-Lead.png

1) Jordan is correct

2) Jordan is a big time asshole.  His HOF induction speech was cringe worthy.

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

1) Jordan is correct

3) couldnt agree more

UltimateKeyboardWarrior -

1) Jordan is correct

Cringe worthy? The man deserved it. I loved every minute of it. He gave props to scottie

RGJuJitsu - 
UltimateKeyboardWarrior -

1) Jordan is correct

<span class="User-126787" id="userPost59407247">Cringe worthy? The man deserved it. I loved every minute of it. He gave props to scottie</span></blockquote>

Jordan took the low road and went off on a ton of people he should never have mentioned.  He should have displayed some class.  He didn't.

And I am a Bulls fan.

IgnorantDeadline - 

Jordan's intensity stems from his father's disdain for Michael. He had his older brother picked out for success nd thought Michael's older brother was the real athlete star in the family.

On the court and in life his borther and father bullied the fuck out of him. His entire existence still revolves around showing them up.

The way he was treated by his father and brother is the way he treats teammates. He bullied them to hell and back because that is all he knew how to do.

Jordan may be the most accomplished athlete the world has ever seen, he may be an ultra competitive billionaire.. But deep down he is always going to be a 10 year old boy who lives with constant bullying.

That's kinda sad. Still I'm glad having lived through the early 90's as a basketball fan watching MJ change the sport, and becoming the first athlete transcending his sport on a global scale. It was incredible.

NicolasRGC -
IgnorantDeadline - 

That's kinda sad. Still I'm glad having lived through the early 90's as a basketball fan watching MJ change the sport, and becoming the first athlete transcending his sport on a global scale. It was incredible.

90s basketball was the best, these kids don't understand. Shaq and Penny, The Jordan Era, Hakeem realizing his destiny, the stacked Western Conference, Rise of the Miami Heat, all the different rivalries involving the Knicks......

People miss the point when they compare styles of play across different eras. It has everything to do with the stories that were told and by that I mean basketball stories, not drama.

RdotC - 
BRZ -
Furious White Belt -

I think to be the absolute greatest at something, a person needs to be borderline sociopathic... It's what drives them to always be working harder than their peers... And keeps the drive going to absolutely destroy anyone in their way.

Is it healthy? Probably not.

Does it make for some impressive performances? Hell yes.

This. 

Jordan was borderline sociopathic.

That grudge wasn't just 20 years... it was almost 40 years....

People shit on MJ for his Hall of Fame speech... but personally, I thought it was one of the greatest speeches ever.

It was pure... he was vulnerable and honest to the point where people could see just how very petty he was.

He may ultimately be a shitty friend or a shitty person... but maybe it was those qualities that made him so good.

People can't believe how much that guy has a chip on his shoulder or how long he holds a grudge... but it was those qualities that made him arguably the greatest athlete in the history of sports.