Josh.Burkman.vs.Karo.Parisyan

Okay, I guess he had a grip on the guy's lat...but I can't see how that grip can be that secure (it actually slips during the execution of the throw).

His grip doesn't slip, he lets go so he doesn't land on his own arm.

Okay, okay - so I was wrong. It's still a sweet throw.

:(

"Sounded like rogan to me.....either way they both need to be gone."

Definitely Goldman, unless you're talking about a different time from the one I remember. Transcribing from the fight commentary at 2:55 remaining, Round 2:

Rogan: Karo said that he wants to put on a show and make a highlight reel out of Josh Burkman.

Goldman: This is one of the best judo practitioners in the world, Joe. And look at the improvement in his hands!

Rogan: Yeah, I mean, really, his hands, like I said, tha-, that's been the biggest improvement in his skills.

Goldman: A perfect display of a mixed martial artist who continues to grow.

In any case, I like them both. Goldberg says some goofy stuff and Rogan is an Apollo-conspiracy theorist, but I think their commentary is reasonable and entertaining. I've often heard much worse, and rarely much better.

Karo's got "Judo grappling".

Judo players couldn't finish a handjob when it comes to grappling.

waltj.. yea, thats why every national class judoka loses to every national class wrestler who throws on a gi.

dipshit.

"He stated that Karo was or is one of the best 'judoko' (it's judoka)in the world. What planet is he on? Karo has good judo, but by far not one of the best in the world."

Who ever said this is dead on. Randy Couture is no where near the best wrestler in the world but he is on of the best fighters in the world using wrestling. The same can be said for Sherk and Hughes. They can beat up a lot of guys who would brutally KO/submit Olympians.

Karo is a similar comparison. He is far from the best competitor in sport judo. But there is no question that he is one of the best "fighting" judoka in the world. No question. I know you could say "if more guys fought...." but that's a b.s argument b/c that don't.

"Karo is a similar comparison. He is far from the best competitor in sport judo."

He has six Junior National titles and tried out for the US Olympic Team. That may not make him "the best competitor in sport judo," but I'd say it means he is not "far from" being such.

in all fairness, karo didnt stand much of a chance at all of making the olympic team. his division was absolutely stacked in 2004.

anyways, hes still completely badass, and at the top nationally, but not enough to be highly competitive at the big international tournaments imo.

and my point is, im agreeing with flowslow, he is far from being the best sport judoka on the planet. his sport judo aint on the level of a yoshida, takimoto, natsula or ogawa. however, id say his implementation of judo into mma is better than all 4 of those guys with the exception of maybe yoshida, but that doesnt really matter because yoshida is WAY past his prime.

"and my point is, im agreeing with flowslow, he is far from being the best sport judoka on the planet. his sport judo aint on the level of a yoshida, takimoto, natsula or ogawa. however, id say his implementation of judo into mma is better than all 4 of those guys with the exception of maybe yoshida, but that doesnt really matter because yoshida is WAY past his prime."

I agree.

In an MMA context, I believe that Yoshida is pretty much just a little bit above average at takedowns. I honestly do.

I have not seen him take anyone down with the consistency and overall actual technique of guys like Fedor or Parisyan.

Yoshida shows up, gets punched in the head a lot, and collects gigantic paychecks. His MMA career would easily lead most to believe that he has put forth little effort to become a true "MMA fighter" by definition.

Even guys like Hughes, Couture, Cro Cop, and Hunt who were as one dimensional as one dimensional gets improved their overall skills throughout their careers.

Yoshida still just goes in and swings wildly, occasionally grabbing his opponent around the head and bull dogging him to the ground schoolyard-style.

Yoshida is on par with Coleman, Randleman, and Royce when it comes to MMA skill progression.

so what. that doesnt make him a bad fighter. one dimensional is only bad if what you do isnt executed well. there is no way that you can say Yoshida is a bad fighter-- he doesnt do a lot of stuff, but he is very good at what he does.

and, for the record, Karo did not participate in an Olympic Trials. Had he stayed with judo through the 2004 Trials then he would've had a very good shot at making the trials, but his MMA career took off during that time.

BTW. Karo is doing a no-gi MMA seminar at Cohen's Judo Club in Chicago, IL from June 29 to July 1.

that throw was fucking sick

I'm still trying to figure out how he hit that throw from there and underrotated enough to land pretty much in side mount and not a makikomi like position.

It is called "control." Not only of mis opponent, but if his own body.

I was more speaking of the specific mechanics... Wish we had a reverse view.