Josh Burkman's thoughts on Lombards positive test

Brigham - Everyone is on the shit. If you don't think so you have your fuckin head in the sand or up your ass.

Other than BJ Penn and Roy Nelson Phone Post 3.0
Wait...did u just admit to having sand up ur ass? Phone Post 3.0

Tyrone sBong - 
Jesus Cannons - Call me crazy, but they just need to open the gate and just let it go.

The fact people are so against PED's is a little strange IMO. People are always going to look for that "edge", even more so when it's their JOB and how they make a living. Any long term health risks should be accounted for by the fighter. Just like smoking cigarettes.

And at the end of the day all it really does is allow you to heal faster between workouts, and allow you to train harder. Doesn't teach you technique. If you're a shitty fighter, and you use PED's, you'll still be a shitty fighter.

And don't give me that "but someone could get killed" nonsense. It hasn't happened yet, and it's not going to happen. PED's have been in this sport since the beginning. Phone Post 3.0
I agree to a certain extent. But "opening up the gates" and allowing a free for all would just create a freak show IMO. Fighters would end up pushing the limits of PED use and one way or another, their health would be in jeopardy.
Not only that, but Mma has a big enough image problem as it is, can you imagine it becoming the first combat sport to allow PED use? Na, can't see it happening. Phone Post 3.0

You are aware that Pride was a free for all right? All of the legends from japan (Fedor, Cro Cop, Sakuraba) were most likely using. Are you telling me their health was in jeopardy the whole time? Crazy I never noticed.

Shit, Bob Sapp was on more stuff than any fighter has ever been and he seems to be just fine health wise. But I guess opinions are easier to come up with when they don't have to be based on facts.

doerksenfan - 
Bootsy Collins - The issue with legalising it for me is that the sport becomes about who can afford access to the best gear. People already have issue with the peripheral sport of cutting weight never mind anything else Phone Post 3.0
This.

I have yet to see someone refute this argument. Phone Post 3.0

*raises hand

Why this doesn't make sense is because it will ALWAYS be impossible to fight economic equality in sports. GSP can not only afford better gear, he can afford better training partners, better training equipment (including facilities, nutritionist, etc), a better doctor to perform surgery when he tears an ACL, he even has less to consider when it comes to pulling out of fights due to injury or taking a fight due to his oponnent missing weight.

Something that happens often in boxing is one fighter simply wont even attempt to cut weight and will just pay the fine. Mayweather does that. Significant advantage, and one that you can only enjoy if you have a lot more money than your opponent.

i'm a josh burkman fan

the arianny thing doesn't hurt either

The Power Double - 
Polar_beatdown - In baseball, football etc. they are not trying to beat the shit out of you. Ped's in mma are way more dangerous, than in any other sport. Phone Post 3.0
Bingo Phone Post 3.0

I hope that was sarcasm.

It's not like football is a sport where to start the game 250 lb super athletes run full speed over 100 feet and then blast into a guy who hopefully doesn't see them coming.

Anyone who's even played high school football realizes that that sport is WAY more brutal on the body than MMA. And there's just as much steroid use going on, most likely more. 

Morpheus1976 - oh btw "clean" BJ fought in Japan....
Juiced up to heavyweight too Phone Post 3.0

Very mature post by Burkman. Phone Post 3.0

brahmabull81 - When a guy says "I dont care if my opponents are using" take that as a red herring. Thats a psychological defense mechanism for guys that have conscience issues with the shady behavior they may or may not be taking part in. It actually is some kind of official psychological thing that a shrink would be able to better identify and explain though.

Marquardt said it too in kind of a cavalier way a couple years back and then shortly after tested positive for elevated test. Theres actually a few examples of this happening.

Still, good for Burkman for not piling on. This is likely only the beginning.

I know this is going to sound obvious because every fighter says it (often to be found out) but I have never used any PEDs but I believe I have fought people that have. I am not a full-time fighter, I fight when I can and take the opportunities that are there, but I also have a job that I love. If I get injured I don't train, I don't NEED to because this is not my living. I don't smash my body to pieces because I want to use it during and after fighting. I wouldn't want to incur the expense of roids, nor would I know where the fuck to start or how to not get bitch tits.

However, the people I've thought (purely on aesthetics) were on steroids that I fought didn't really bother me at all. Turns out they were some of the worst actual fighters. Granted I'm not fighting at the elite level where it's very different, but I'm just chiming in to refute the fact that it is necessarily a defence mechanism. I have no interest in juicing but if that's what my opponent needs then I don't condone it but I'm not gonna not fight the guy. His skills are his skills. I think it's pretty insecure at a lower level anyway (where there is zero testing so they're pretty much free to do it aswell).

heavyhands09 - 
Bootsy Collins - 
no-gi_JAMES420 - 
doerksenfan -
Bootsy Collins - The issue with legalising it for me is that the sport becomes about who can afford access to the best gear. People already have issue with the peripheral sport of cutting weight never mind anything else Phone Post 3.0
This.

I have yet to see someone refute this argument. Phone Post 3.0
The more skillful fighter will still win. Steroids don't teach technique. Phone Post 3.0

Yes but I think you are missing the point.
Skillful fighter X may not have the funds to afford the top of the line steroids that middling fighter Y does...or vice versa.

This gap already exists in the form of a fighter making Anderson Silva money can afford the best striking and wrestling coaches,sparing partners, nutritional experts, sports psychologists, ect.

And is that an arguement for steroids???