Josh Neer released from the UFC

Can't disagree with this decision at all, all things considered.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/10/31/exclusive-josh-neer-released-by-ufc/

Exclusive: Josh Neer released by UFC

Josh Neer

What began as an impressive third tour of duty in the UFC for Josh Neer has ended in release. Sources closed to the Iowa-based fighter informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com early Saturday morning that Neer was let go by the organization shortly after his unanimous decision loss to Gleison Tibau at UFC 104 last Saturday. The defeat was Neer’s second consecutive in the Octagon and his third in his last four fights.

The six-year vet began his career in 2003 and first made his UFC debut in 2005, losing to Drew Fickett via decision at the first-ever UFC Fight Night. After two fights outside of the UFC, he returned in 2006, where he recorded back-to-back wins over veterans of The Ultimate Fighter, Joe Stevenson and Melvin Guillard. However, he would go on to lose fights at UFC 61 and UFC 62 to Josh Burkman and Nick Diaz, respectively.

Following his release after the Diaz fight, Neer compiled a 6-1 record outside of the UFC and returned for his third stint with the promotion at UFC Fight Night 13 on April 2. Facing Din Thomas, Neer improved his lifetime UFC record to 3-3 with a unanimous decision victory. He then followed it up with an impressive performance in a split decision loss to Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 15. After the Diaz loss, Neer recovered and submitted season six winner of The Ultimate Fighter Mac Danzig with a triangle choke at 3:36 of round 2 during UFC Fight Night 17.

Following the Danzig victory, Neer’s stock was on the rise. However, it would soon fall after losing to Tibau at UFC 104 and Kurt Pellegrino at UFC 101 before that. With the back-to-back losses, Neer’s record in his last four UFC fights actually fell to 1-3.

A well-rounded fighter who is known as a tough competitor, Neer could possibly return to the UFC a fourth time if he can accumulate 1-2 wins outside of the organization.

Neer was LnP'ed by Tibau and Pellegrino and they cut him? Fuck this.

NorthFromHere - Neer was LnP'ed by Tibau and Pellegrino and they cut him? Fuck this.

1-3 in his last 4 fights, did very little to stop the takedowns, whiney attitude as if its his opponent's fault that HE kept getting taken down, recent criminal convictions are all reasons why it was a good decision to cut him.

he's a multiple time drunk driver. I'm all in favor of him getting cut, even though that has nohing to do with his fighting. Plus he'll never sniff a title shot, so no big deal.

dangerboy12 - he's a multiple time drunk driver. I'm all in favor of him getting cut, even though that has nohing to do with his fighting. Plus he'll never sniff a title shot, so no big deal.

Agreed. Said the same in this thread that got moved:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.posts&thread=1541646&forum=28&page=1&pc=28

Nontheless, I hope he can continue to earn a living and will have no problem with him returning to the UFC once he's served his sentence (and won a few) 

Good. I'm not a fan of Neer or fighters that just go out there and take punches on the chin stupidly. He's really a poor man's Diaz, except he comes across as really unintelligent and very trashy. Good riddance!

I liked Neer until he whined about his loss to Pellegrino. It's his own fault that he can't beat a good wrestler, especially in the UFC's LW division which is full of great wrestlers.

I'm not a big fan, but the guy is a warrior.

Justinmacd - He had his chances.

Let a new, fresh young LW get a shot.

How about that Eddie Alvarez guy? I heard he's OK.

Eddie makes too much coin outside the UFC.  Doesn't make sense for him right now.

Tough break for Josh.  He'll be wrecking guys on smaller shows.

"Neer was LnP'ed by Tibau"

Obviously you didn't see the fight. Maybe one or two minutes in the entire fight were spent on the ground and there was nothing close to laying and praying going on. Most of that time Josh kept Tibau away with upkicks, and when Tibau did manage to get in there he got mount, took his back, etc.

kinda ghey.

he clearly won that Nate Diaz fight, and had a few fights at 170. hopefully he needs a win or two to come back.

He also missed weight for his last fight.

I like Neer and it sucks that he was cut.  I hope he can get some wins in another org and get back to the UFC.

dangerboy12, you say that he won't get a sniff at the title....well that goes for a whole lot of people regardless of weight class.  Doesn't mean that those fighters can't have entertaining fights.

predictable

NorthFromHere - Neer was LnP'ed by Tibau and Pellegrino and they cut him? Fuck this.

Ok so you're saying he can't beat good wrestlers? Then he wont ever amount to anything in the LW-division anyways so why not cut him?

why are you guys against a fighter like neer? He always comes in and brings it.

brings it but you have to win in the ufc to stay. thats how it goes with them. you can bring it all day but once they stop it you are gone. would like to see neer in K-1 max

I know Neer isn't going to be the LW champion, but you can say that about 90% of the division's fighters.
Neer is an exciting gatekeeper that I'd liked to see around. He's aggressive and wellrounded, which makes him a good test for up-n-comers like Nate Diaz, who Neer took to split decision.
Before the cut they could've atleast given him a less horrible match up than his previous two fights. Match him up with someone like Buchholz, Guillard or Emerson in a loser leaves fight.

^^Neer in K-1 are you serious??the guy has been outstruck by nick/nate diaz for piss sake...the guy isnt close to being a great striker...

hes a tough son of a bitch, but yeah the cut is a bit odd. Im not buying gleison tibau