Judo Body Types?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of being tall versus short in judo? Obviously I know that judo originates from a relatively shorter people than westerners, but are there any special challenges tall people face? I am not that tall - about 6'1" with long arms, about 170 pounds (tall and lanky build) - is this a big disadvantage against those with a short and stocky build? Are there any moves where I would actually be at an advantage?
Thanks!

Ken ken uchimata, osoto gari, harai goshi are three throws commonly used by judoka of your body type.

thanks! Any other advice for a beginner?

It can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you use your body.

Your best bet as a beginner is to focus on basics and get them down really, really well.

When you practice "low" type throws, be sure to work with someone near your height so you can concentrate on correct mechanics. At 6'1", it is silly for you to to learn O Goshi or Seoi Nage, for example, on a guy who is 5'6" tall. After you get it down on a guy your size, THEN move to shorter guys and modify the throw to fit.

Ben R.

I'm 6'2" and about 185 lbs., so maybe I can offer you some advice.

In general, you have a good build for ashi-waza and leg techniques (sweeps, reaps, uchimata, etc.) You don't have the ideal build for hip throws or low, dropping throws. If I were you, I'd start by focusing on developing osotogari, ouchigari, and uchimata. Sumi-gaeshi could be a good choice, too (long legs are helpful here).

If you can get any one of these working well for you, you can start trying to integrate the others as combos.

You'll probably also find it worthwhile to experiment with European-style grips (over the shoulder, over the back, etc.). These are easier for tall guys with long arms, and they can make a big difference.

All that said, the throws you end up favouring will depend not only on your body structure, but also your temperament and flexibility. If you're really speedy, aggressive, or flexible, you can make things work that another guy with your build couldn't. A tall guy with great flexibility can put together a killer tai-otoshi, for instance.

One other thing I'd suggest; while it's good to focus on a few throws that are likely to work well for you, be sure to try out other throws now and then. You might just stumble on something that really clicks for you.

Oh, and learn to defend drop seoi-nage, 'cause that's what the shorter guys in your weight division will be using on you!

"Oh, and learn to defend drop seoi-nage, 'cause that's what the shorter guys in your weight division will be using on you!"

LOL

That throw's the giant-killer. I die by that throw often. Nothing worse than a short-ass heavyweight.

Thank you very much guys. I have been really looking forward to starting judo for a long time (in Atlanta), just waiting for my body to heal up - any other body mechanic or general advice would be appreciated

No technical advice fatbuddha. Just go out and have fun.

Learn to break falls well.

Learn etiquette and understanding of Japanese lingo.

Stay fit (you'll understand and appreciate this advice when you are in intense randori)

Thanks Tararuga!

Scythrop - is "drop seionage" the same as ippon seionage but as you turn you fall to both knees?

"Scythrop - is "drop seionage" the same as ippon seionage but as you turn you fall to both knees?"

Basically, but you an do the same thing with Morote Seoi as well.

Ben R.