judo in TO, downtown if possible?

Not exactly. Maybe someone who trains or has more current knowledge can post, but:

several years ago, Smith sensei started running it because Uemura was too busy (according to what i heard), but i've seen Uemura at hart house many a time after that, so i'm sure he helps out when he can. Of course, this was several years ago, i haven't been there since. I don't even know if Smith is still running it.

I belive Uemura is running Toraki? their high end gi's look pretty sweet.

I would love to train with Mark Uemura's father, who is supposed to be newaza terror (i think Sato of "best Judo" fame is his sempai, i have an article about his ashiwaza), but mississauga is too far.

I currently train at minoru- its a very good dojo- great place to start- excellent place to get primed up for competition.

Training Days/Times
Mon, Wed, Fri: 8:00-9:30 pm
stay back for extra uchicomi, randori etc if you like (even no-gi submission sometimes- just ask andre!)
Sat: Kids 10-12 (some adults come in to train along with them)
Sunday: 12:00-2:00 during competition season (now)

I've recently started back after stoping last december.. its never easy re-starting there, its truely one place you can actually like going to, and be scared off at the same time, getting tossed on your head is never a plesant experience. Saying that, the club members are very nice people, there isnt a of attitude etc, if you come in with that it gets thrown/choked/squeezed out of you hahaha- Theres a lot to be said for anyone who consistently trains there.

if you are black or brown belt visiting or just a freak.. everyone wants a piece of you- but its worth it-

the range in weight is from 120 to 300+, ages from early teens guys in their sixties, white to 6th dan black belt (Vargas). Judokas from all over the world, including members from their countries national teams.
Its a place where other clubs visit to train for competitions.

The one consistent complaint i hear is that there isnt a lot of teaching there- the clubs philosophy (which is consistent with many other judo clubs) seems to be to focus on the basics and perfect its application, you learn to fight by fighting. Teaching is kept to two or three techniqes and not longer than 30 mins of a class. A lot of classes are just randori with no teaching.

Hope this helps.
Kerry

I believe Goki Uemera runs a class in missisauga, somewhere on Lakeshore. I can get both of their contacts if you like.

While looking for a club in the summer of 2000, both Mark and Goki Uemera recommended Minoru highly. Thats how i ended up there.

I also train at Minoru and if intense competitive judo is what you are looking for come down it would be good to have a new guy on the mat. If you want to grapple(with or without gi) there is more than enough guys willing to roll.

Thanks!!!

i'm a beginner though... ill drop by soon, just have to figure out my schedule!

cheers

www.self-defence.com

They also teach Aikido, Ju Jitsu, and Shotokan
Karate. They are a stones-throw west of Noble St.

hubris,

minoru is around queen dufferin, for goki uemura's club, go to www.judo.on.ca. it's the shin bu kan and is in missisauga. unless the info is out of date there, but the club's been around for a while. (i believe prior, he taught at the etobicoke olympian)

wayne-o is referring to the minoru club.