Judo injuries

I know I'm being a bit of a pussy but I'm feeling banged up. I've got a lot of minor injuries & was thinking about not going to practice tonight. Am I the only one with a lot of little injuries?

Right ankle severely sprained months ago, now its starting to hurt again.
Both little toes are broken & keep getting reinjured daily & bent backwards.
Ribs are bruised.
Back is stiff.
Wake up every morning the knuckles in my hands are stiff.

Please share. Maybe if I didn't feel like I was only one it would help. I have been doing judo for about 8 months & am enjoying a lot but working out with a bunch of black belts has taken its toll.

You could always go and just do uchikomi's or something like that.

Better then not going at all, and better then going there and just
watching.

Lots of people have little injuries. I don't think I have ever heard
anyone say judo was easy.

Maybe this will make you feel better. I guy cancelled last minute going
to a tournament in Steveson (a team from Japan was there that year
too), with his plane ticket booked everything 2 days before we left. His
reason, he had a bit of califlower ear. Oh and yes, he was serious.

I've heard it suggested that Judo is #2 behind Muay Thai for "art that's roughest on the body."

Find me someone who's been doing it more than 15 years who DOESN'T have to tape or brace at least one major joint......

:-)

Thanks, I just think I needed to whine to someone. I know it sounds wierd but I feel so much more alive when I'm doing judo regularly. I feel its put a much needed positive spin in my life. I enjoy going to class & getting a great workout, though I spend a lot of time in the air. All the guys are top notch guys & the coach is one in a million.

My injuries are not at a point that I can't work out but am concerned that some of them could end up to that point.

I find it useful to take a week off every few months, just to let my body recover from the accumulation of little injuries.

I know it's unpleasant to miss practice, but I find that it's better to do so once in a while then to get so broken down that I have to take a long hiatus.

You really have to think long-term if you plan to keep doing Judo for the rest of your life. Ultimately, the best judoka will be the one who has taken care of himself and can still bend his fingers and knees at age 50. :)

And as a friend of mine says whenever I complain about having to take a break, "Judo will be there when you get back."

Thanks for the advise, Scythrop. I think I need to tough it out until my next competition in Feb. After which I'm going to take some time. By then, as much fun as I've been having, I think a break would be benefical both mentally & physically.

learn to deal with the toes.. hell I couldn't feel my toes on my left foot for almost 10 months after a really nasty smash up.. that's just how judo goes.

Q: are you taking the time to stretch after practice? this will help greatly..

Bull, thanks for the suggestion. Stretching after practice is a good idea. I do it when I get home just before I go to bed & it helps.

I have to rap my toes but they still get messed up. I know a lot of it is poor technique but I'm still fairly new to the sport.

Bull, thanks for the suggestion. Stretching after practice is a good idea. I do it when I get home just before I go to bed & it helps.

I have to rap my toes but they still get messed up. I know a lot of it is poor technique but I'm still fairly new to the sport.

Everyone's toes get fubar at first..

Love those Judo toes. My favorite Judo injury luckily didn't happen to me, but to a training partner. He forgot to cut his toenails and someone went to foot sweep him, missed a little high and took his entire big toenail right off. Pretty.

I went to practice last night. Felt good! Went pretty light. Learned some ground work.

Thanks for listening to me yesterday:) You all encouraged me to go in. I may look for more encouragement in a few weeks. Thanks again.

Judo toes: 2 guys in my dojo fractured their big toes on different occasions. In both injuries, bone cut through the first joint and the toe was almost perpendicular.

A bunch of us went to the ER and we were waiting forever because it wasn't really an emergency. He started panicking, yelled at all of the nurses because he was afraid to lose his toe. The MD kept saying that it was a "Karate kick" and my buddy kept correcting him that it was "Judo". We took pics, too.

no joke.. guy gets his big toe caught between two tatami.. breaks the toe, bone goes right through the skin. blood everywhere. he reaches down, grabe the top of his toe, pulls it out of the tatami, grabs the skin, covers teh bone back up and then asks for some tape because he still wanted to work on his uchikomi...

damn white belts. =)

Who was it that posted the nasty X-Ray a year or so ago?  Was it Jarvis?  Anyone else remember this?  I shouldn't be inviting a re-post; it wasn't pretty.

You guys are scaring me. I was doing my uchikomis on Monday & twice caught my big toe under my foot. Didn't hurt or cause any injury but got me paranoid.

injuries are just gonna happen in judo. there are more finger and toe injuries in judo than anything, but most of them are small-- ranging from losing a fingernail to ripping the skin off the fingers to popping, dislocating and jamming them.. sometimes youll even pop the tendons or ligaments in the joint, but that isnt so bad and with tape youll be just fine. early onset authritius in the hands is common in judoka as well.

but, judo is well worth the price of all the injuries ive ever had.

khd29: "Judo toes: 2 guys in my dojo fractured their big toes on different occasions. In both injuries, bone cut through the first joint and the toe was almost perpendicular."

That happened to me back when I used to compete in Taekwondo, my foot got caught in my opponent's chest protector, in the ensuing scramble the big toe must've gotten dislocated cuz next thing I know, my toe is pointing sideways, skin torn off, bone sticking out, blood everywhere. Anyways, got that stitched up and was back competing after a few months.

In Judo I was just getting back after rotator-cuff surgery this past Fall, when last week I hurt my ribs while trying to escape being pinned, the bottom (floating?) ribs on my right side popped and hurt like hell, still hurting, I'm gonna give it a week and see if I can hit the mats again, hope it's not too serious ... am itching to restart my training. And yeah, I don't intend on letting some injuries here & there keep me from continuing training.

I keep injuring my lumbar because I try to force my throws. Not to mention I am also carrying a spare tire around. It started when I got hit at the same spot playing lacrosse in 1990. The past 2 years, I must have trained less than 10x because of this recurring injury.

What's up sta94-
This afternoon's class was my first day back since Feb '03. The usual lumbar strain.

I was sucking so much wind that sensei was charging me for the oxygen. See you in class.

Wow, since Feb '03??? no wonder I've been seeing you more as a spectator in judo competitions than in class! For me, 2004 was pretty much a wash-out as far as judo training is concerned, hope 2005 turns out to be better.