Judo Newaza Int competition (VID)

Just stumbled across this nice highlight of Judo subs in international competitions (hope it hasn't been posted before). Very explosive and technical, although with little/no guardwork, is the guard banned in Olympic Judo or just does not apply well to it? Trivial question, but enlighten me please :o). And enjoy, it's worth watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u41omoNO4U

Not banned but if you put someone in the guard and they lift you off the ground or in some cases even stand up in your guard the ref will stand you back up. In judo you don't really have time to work submissions you either get one very quickly or you go back to your feet.

Nice vid.

"Very explosive and technical, although with little/no guardwork, is the guard banned in Olympic Judo or just does not apply well to it?"

Like wrestling, judo gives poits, and you can win, by pinning. Being flat on your back, controlled by the other person, would mean you were losing points or losing the match.

Judo competition rules do not allow enough time to work guard. Usually if the ref does not see much significant progress in newaza you're stood up. That's why the explosive movements to get the arm-bar, choke or pin right away - no time to try one thing-not have it work-wait-set up for another move ...

That one bit where the Asian guy in the blue gi chokes out that white dude in the white gi was kinda freaky - the white guy just has this blank look on his face and then he's out...

"Like wrestling, judo gives poits, and you can win, by pinning. Being flat on your back, controlled by the other person, would mean you were losing points or losing the match."

I just want to correct this poster.

You cannot pin someone in judo while being in their guard. However you can in sambo.

Yeah - the guard is a neutral position in Judo - it's not a pin.

That bit with the heavy weights made me wince - one guy was getting arm-barred and he couldn't tap because his other arm was trapped so he was trying to tap with his feet (looked like he was swimming on the mats).

Thanks for the responses, I was also wondering if judo refs generally consider being in the guard equal to being pinned, since you're not exactly controlled there. It won't score you points, but might help defensively in certain positions. That's why I asked...

Since I've created this kind of thread, there is also a link to a brief but interesting exposition why newaza gets neglected in Olympic judo. Nothing groundbreaking, but a (exceptionally) sober analysis by a self-proclaimed "Judo uber alles" author :o)

http://www.videosift.com/video/Judo-Newaza-Choking-out-fools-since-1800#leavecomment

edited for not including the link

judo gives absolutley no advantage to any position that does not score. so, being in guard, or half guard means nothing to anybody. you either get the pin or sub or you do not.

after 5 minutes of a tie match there is a sudden death (golden score) period that can last 5 more minutes.

only after 10 full minutes of a tied match will the referees decide who won by what would be considered "advantage" criteria. in my time, i have seen 2 matches ALMOST go the 10 minutes, but never to the ref's decision.

Even a shitty purple belt wouldn't get caught with any of the crap in that video.

^You're a shitty purple belt or above who is by his own experience 100% resistant to that "crap" then? I see...