Judo resurgence in MMA?

Tom Lawlor - I could tell you right now that Travis Stevens, who is a judoka, would be competitive in the UFC within a year of MMA training. High level judo players are monsters. Phone Post 3.0

Fuck yea dude, the man has spoken!

What do you think about incorporating some judo technique for need?, lets say a trick in the pocket for a dude like McGregor or just not very good wrestlers

Eggy -
kevins852 -

Most of you guys are missing my point, im not saying that Judo is going to be the main style in MMA, im saying it would make a good come back trying to neutralize how dominating wrestling is. 

Granted when we know one of the fighters is better at wrestling, the other fighter has a great disadvantage, because the wrestler can dictate the fight and get the takedown, its going to be directly related to wrestling habilities, probably the only style to counter wrestling is judo dynamic techniques.

About the change in judo grabbing the legs, well I was competing when they banned it, and I had mixed feelings about, because when wrestlers were there grabbing legs all day, perhaps what judo should of done is try and deal with it but what was in trial was loosing the style of judo which is not mainly leg or base grabs but hip throws, trips, sacrifice etc. If you want to make a comparison lets say they let you throw big hooks in Taekwondo competition, its gonna ruin the style, i think that was the thought behind banning it.

And btw for anyone who thinks Judo techniques dont apply to MMA think again, they do need a grapplig or wrestling adaptation but youre crazy if you dont think for a guy that struggles with wrestling like McGregor to learn to execute and time for example a Uchi Mata or a trip would raise his defense/chances against the superior wresler.

Basically im saying most of non wrestlers or judokas should add at lease 1 or 2 judo techniques to their basic training and just put the technique down.

Don't really get the point of your multi paragraph thesis. Judo is going to make a resurgence in the form of one or two moves that guy without wrestling background can use?

Let me guess someone just started judo? Phone Post 3.0

Maybe your mom just started judo, if you can read, i said i was around when the leg grab ban happened.

Do i think this resurgense is utilizing a couple judo techniques to try to confront wrestling, specially for guys that urge it? yes. If you grapple i recommend you to pick one of them.

The top two MMA fighters of all time were professional judo players before transitioning to MMA. Ronda for women and Fedor for men.

It takes someone with the right judo game to transition to MMA. Akiyama threw the shit out of people. Dong Hyun Kim is a judo takedown machine. Fedor, of course. Lombard when he wants to trips the shit out of people. Phone Post 3.0

Some comments:

-> Judo is pretty binary: you gotta have been training and competing at some fairly high level to be a bad ass, otherwise, you will be much less effective in MMA. You cannot just train a couple of years and be decent even. I don't think adding Judo to your game is the best time investment in MMA.

-> Olympic level Judo players are simply put total animals. They are in that tiny bracket of super talented athletes and are just ridiculously tough. Many of these people would do well in MMA if they have a flair for striking (some don't). Judo develops incredible hip strength and overall body strength, and balance. Its actually a fantastic base to start from. I am actually now doing less Judo and more BJJ (getting older :) and I can say a good Judo base is just wonderful.

-> You will not see however top Judoka crossing over, they are too busy with their training, which is incredibly brutal. These guys train and work through heavy injuries and just don't give a f-ck.

A recent story: I have a good friend who is currently TOP 5 in Judo in the world in his weight class and going to Rio this summer. He has a chance for Gold. The guy is not just talented, he is super talented athlete. But he was injured few months ago, quite serious injury, and in that period did not do Judo and had to rehabilitate. Well, that dude would train 6-8 hours a day for 2 months on his physio and beyond. He'd go to the clinic and just train non-stop, no lunches, no food, just training. The physio people where he would train would be like: w-t-f is this!? Doesn't this guy ever get tired? They said: we've never seen anything like this before and they work closely with Olympic athletes on a daily basis. I went with him few times and they'd pull me aside and say: please tell him to stop and relax, he will re-injure himself.

Anyway, he'd finish that training, and then take his stuff and right away go and roll for 2 hours on the ground at night (no standing), do 6-7-8 rolls and then do 30 min of uchikomi, which was brutal, non-stop movement. I was with him on most of these sessions sometimes being tori for him. The amount of torque he would generate in movement was WHAT in the freaking world is this !? Its truly the difference between good and super world class. Incredible power and movement and when he throws sometimes you think that will be it KO or something. At that gym he would go at night there would also be some MMA guys (former Judo) and sometimes a BJJ black belt who trained with him a bit on the ground (part of rehabilitation). The BJJ guy also remarked that the guy is just totally ridiculous. He would show him something on the ground and he remembers it instantly and can apply it immediately.

So this would amount in total to 8 hours non-stop training, he'd then go home, eat a bit, sleep (goes to bed around 11, wakes up at 6) and rise and repeat. I interacted with him closely in that period and I couldn't believe the amount of discipline, consistency and super hard work he would put in day in and day out.

Basically, its a total animal, the amount of physical capability and capacity he and some of these athletes have at that level is off the charts. I don't think even good athletes could sustain his off-season training more than a week. And that was a period he considered to be resting :) He would say: when will real training start again? I asked him about MMA/UFC etc and he basically said: this is mostly for people who can't do well in their sport. He has no interest at all in it, doesn't watch it, and I think most top Judokas think the same. Judo is so ingrained in him, its ridiculous. I think he can hardly hold a conversation about any other topic :) So yes, I don't think you would see much top Judo in MMA soon.

I dont understand. Without a gi, judo is just a subset of wrestling. Phone Post 3.0

whoabro, its not, Judo has much more developed hip sensitivity and as a result, foot sweeps and leg throws that most wrestlers can't do. They are technically in wrestling, but most wrestlers cant do them.

yomamafool - Resurgence? When was the original surge? Phone Post 3.0

Some guy named Fredo or Fedor or something.

judom2 - whoabro, its not, Judo has much more developed hip sensitivity and as a result, foot sweeps and leg throws that most wrestlers can't do. They are technically in wrestling, but most wrestlers cant do them.
This is true. However within the context of an mma fight inside of a cage, under to present criteria of judges scoring. Wrestling is much more effective than judo.

Judo doesn't create the mentality necessary to be successful in mma. Wrestling is much tougher of a sport mentality and it's 3 period system and point system is very similar to mma. The match doesn't end as soon as one guy is thrown to the mat. Phone Post 3.0

Taking it back like its '99 or something, cmon bros, have we really learned nothing? Realize sone are new to this but cmon.... Listen to judom as well

I swear on my life this is the absolute the truth. You can hate on me if you want but this is my honest experience between the two. I have done NO-gi grappling with an Olympic alternate in both wrestling and judo and this is my experience. Take from it what you will.

The judo guhad amazing hips. If you tried to tie up with him with any upper body throws you were going flying. You could not hit him with any outside, inside trips or any throws at all, trying anything like that only insured I was going to go flying. Anytime I attempted either a double leg, or a high crotch. It was relatively easy to get in on his legs, once in on his legs you could not stop or you were going for a ride. Once you froze it was over, you were going flying.

However, I started making faster grip transitions and hand fighting him out of position and hitting knee slides successively after my initial shot he became relatively easy to take down. He was also heavier than me but a considerable amount.

The wrestling alternate was impossible to takedown. In fact, I've never really even come close. The only time I've ever gotten in on his legs was when he allowed me. If you modified the match and gave me points for anytime I was even able to connect my hands on a shot I would still lose by tech fall in the first period regardless of whatever scoring system was used. When he did let me in on good shots I still struggled horribly to finish. If I hit all the technique with the criteria he set for me he would allow me to finish and then he would instantly escape.

There is no doubt that my wrestling friend could beat everyone on the regional mma curcuit without throwing a punch. I've never felt as helpless in any aspect of mma as I feel with him when I wrestle.

I'm confident that if you put him and the judo alternate in a gi and he had a live match with the wrestler being allowed to shot legs he would not be thrown once. He would beat the judo guy just by shooting from distance Phone Post 3.0

failure at life - I swear on my life this is the absolute the truth. You can hate on me if you want but this is my honest experience between the two. I have done NO-gi grappling with an Olympic alternate in both wrestling and judo and this is my experience. Take from it what you will.

The judo guhad amazing hips. If you tried to tie up with him with any upper body throws you were going flying. You could not hit him with any outside, inside trips or any throws at all, trying anything like that only insured I was going to go flying. Anytime I attempted either a double leg, or a high crotch. It was relatively easy to get in on his legs, once in on his legs you could not stop or you were going for a ride. Once you froze it was over, you were going flying.

However, I started making faster grip transitions and hand fighting him out of position and hitting knee slides successively after my initial shot he became relatively easy to take down. He was also heavier than me but a considerable amount.

The wrestling alternate was impossible to takedown. In fact, I've never really even come close. The only time I've ever gotten in on his legs was when he allowed me. If you modified the match and gave me points for anytime I was even able to connect my hands on a shot I would still lose by tech fall in the first period regardless of whatever scoring system was used. When he did let me in on good shots I still struggled horribly to finish. If I hit all the technique with the criteria he set for me he would allow me to finish and then he would instantly escape.

There is no doubt that my wrestling friend could beat everyone on the regional mma curcuit without throwing a punch. I've never felt as helpless in any aspect of mma as I feel with him when I wrestle.

I'm confident that if you put him and the judo alternate in a gi and he had a live match with the wrestler being allowed to shot legs he would not be thrown once. He would beat the judo guy just by shooting from distance Phone Post 3.0

If both guys were in gi, that wouldn't happen. Wrestling has been with judo since Day 1.

Wrestlers would do well only if they spent tons of time on judo training.

factchecker -
failure at life - I swear on my life this is the absolute the truth. You can hate on me if you want but this is my honest experience between the two. I have done NO-gi grappling with an Olympic alternate in both wrestling and judo and this is my experience. Take from it what you will.

If both guys were in gi, that wouldn't happen. Wrestling has been with judo since Day 1.

If so, than why has shooting the legs been made illegal in Judo? If judo guys could stop it, than why ban it?

How would a gi help the judo guy when a wrestler can just shoot from the distance and get to his legs anyway?

How would the gi stop an exceptionally high caliber wrestler when he has already gotten in on the judo guys legs?

I admit that I've never trained in gi with the judo guy because I'm afraid of injury. Judging by the way he rips the knee and the grips he could make I'm afraid of injury to my neck and knees. Phone Post 3.0

factchecker -

*reaps the knee Phone Post 3.0

failure at life -
factchecker -

If so, than why has shooting the legs been made illegal in Judo? If judo guys could stop it, than why ban it?

How would a gi help the judo guy when a wrestler can just shoot from the distance and get to his legs anyway?

How would the gi stop an exceptionally high caliber wrestler when he has already gotten in on the judo guys legs?

I admit that I've never trained in gi with the judo guy because I'm afraid of injury. Judging by the way he rips the knee and the grips he could make I'm afraid of injury to my neck and knees. Phone Post 3.0

My guess is that banning was because shooting and bellyflopping to wait for a matte became too prevalent. It had become a cop-out technique.

Shooting for legs, I assume, was banned not because it was a quick way to get an ippon, but because it was used to bellyflop and wait for referee stoppage, which could cause too many interruptions.

Just think of it as this way.

Judo guys cannot stop guys from running away.

Running away from your opponent is illegal not because it is effective, but because it just stretches match time.

One of my coaches is a judo black belt. He's also a pro fighter but hasn't fought in a few years. All his wins were throws straight to subs, only loss was when he found someone that could control distance well.

He uses a lot of trips and throws that wrestlers haven't seen, so it catches them off guard. Also Judo guys are awesome at hitting the submission right off of the throw.... I've only been doing Judo for a little bit (decent wrestler, purple belt, 2-1 MMA) and if you aren't PERFECT when you hit a judo throw, shits going to go bad. Unlike a double leg where you can just blast it. Phone Post 3.0

Cool stories, failure at life and judom. I love high level training insight like this. Do share more if you can. I've only trained with amateur judokas and wrestlers, albeit very good ones and it is indeed virtually impossible to take them down and they pick up on ground work really fast.

Judo is brutally awesome at the top level but I think it's easier to incorporate wrestling into MMA and be succesful with it.

yomamafool - Resurgence? When was the original surge? Phone Post 3.0

The 2000s had significantly more judo players toward the upper end of MMA ranks. 

like who?