Judo triangle against turtler

How come people get caught in the reverse triangle in Judo competition much more frequently than in BJJ? As a matter of fact, I can't even recall anybody ever attempting this technique in a BJJ match. Maybe this will be the latest technique from Brazil after the next Mundial?

Because that situation doesn't come up much in BJJ. Where a guy is turtling and facing you. In Judo he's just defending and waiting for the ref to stand them up.

Asides from whats mentioned above, one of the things i can think of is that its never taught or drilled in BJJ. I learned how to do it in Judo class after 8 years in BJJ.

I figure that it'd be a good move to do after a failed or shitty single leg.

I use the reverse triangle a fair amount of time...there a couple of different setups for it that I like, one from turtle, and the other when you have their back. Learned it in BJJ.

i usually apply elbow pressure right at the base of the neck. works well to make them move.

I use it a lot after watching the Judo World Championship DVD. It is a great move.

BJJ did come from Judo.

Would someone please describe this move?

I first learned it about 6 years ago in a BJJ class and I teach it a few times a year. ITs a great technique to use when you're demonstrating the utility of the triangle choke and how you can hit it from dozens of different entries and setups.

And Chson . . . 3/10 on the troll-O-meter

All good. Use it a little, especially when someone tries to lift me from the bottom (the "Iranian").

But I think one of the big reasons you don't see it in BJJ as much is because in that position most guys with any training will be very conscious of protecting their backs. As such, they are either holding the gi pants or pulling guard.

Like about 99% of the differences between Judo and BJJ, this one is all about the rules. Simply rolling up into a little ball and waiting for the ref works a lot of the time in Judo, assuming you are tight enough and have good base. In BJJ, however, you are inviting the guy to take your back, for which there are potentially both 4 points and a finish. The triangle, by comparison, gets not points and his harder to finish.

It's not about not "having" the technique, it's about not being "rewarded" for practicing/applying it.

John

i agree w/ John Frankl that it is hard to finish (extremely imo) against a game player. i have never submitted anyone with this variation of the triangle (but i am only a brand new blue). I have, however, used it as a turnover. as everyone knows, 25 seconds means victory.

John

the fact that in bjj putting the hooks in scores points but does not count as a pin in judo definitely figures into this dynamic.

I agree with Shen.

Actually, probably the vast majority of triangle set ups and finishes I've see are from Judo.

The main submission though I get when rolling with judokas is triangle from guard positions... Unless I go against much heavier guys than me and they are able to lift me up quite frequently and then I just let go as I play by their rules...

I lost in the finals of the Pan Ams last year to this sub. I would post it if I knew how, I wouldn't have tapped but the lights were going dim and I was going out.

That is a position that is (for me) easy to get into, hard to finalize. You can get there from a north/south kimura as well. Anyone have any good tips on how to tighten it into a solid choke?

You can get it from a failed single or double attempt. Its actually quite a good technique for me and I learned it in judo. This is the main way of teaching it in judo and there are a multitude of variations and controls.

A triangle from the back can also work but is probably not really necessary.

i get it from a special sidemount i do. also from the n/s position if the guy rolls up while doing a kimura. i don't use it to choke, i use it to separate the arms and get a straight arm lock or kimura.

it isnt a hard position to get in bjj, you just have to have it in your mind's eye to do it. it works very well off of shots, scrables, north-south, side-control, and a host of other positions... thing is, with many of the versions of it, you can actually give up points in a bjj tournament while doing it. odd, but true.

Don't waste time trying to finish the choke from there. A shoulder lock on the far side and a wrist lock on the near side are much easier.

There are more variations/situations than what is on this video clip. What do you do when Uke posts a leg out to prevent the turn (for example). But Sankaku Jime works at the highest levels in judo especially by the Japanese.