Judo's submissions suck VIDEO PROOF

1:39, awesome counter

lol, didn't even see your post Rock.

great vid

Well while your average Judoka might need work on finessing their subs, submissions tend to come easier after slamming someone hard into the ground

I love how people 4get that you are getting thrown on your head....with force, great video! That Video proves that BJJ is a great sport but a butt floppin sport at that. Take any BJJ black belt and thrown him/her on there head = white belt bjj and ya a simple armbar works. Judo = Fighting from your feet. BJJ = Fighting from your buttfloppin ass. JMO

I thought you were trying to prove that Judo submissions suck? They both have mostly the same submissions. Awesome video anyways. Also let's remember that Masahiko Kimura took care of business against Helio.

Can someone tell me why in certain instances they turtle instead of just getting their hips back and standing up?

triso - Can someone tell me why in certain instances they turtle instead of just getting their hips back and standing up?

I am no Judo pro, but I would imagine they typically turtle because they will get separated pretty quickly if they can stall in that position. Alternatively, they could try to stand and end up in a disadvantageous position, quickly followed by ending up on their head.

The Judo/JJ in this video is high level...unfortunatly the exception rather than the norm, fast subs where the ref doesnt get a chance to stop the action or a rare Judo refthat actualy understands whats happening. The average BJJ BB would not stand a chance at that level, simply because he doesnt train at an Olympic level. I see people posting here, but they have never trainned at this level, probably dont even understand what 4 hrs a day of hard trainning means. There is plenty of very good ground work in Judo, but underqualified refs, and countless rules dont let it come out, unless the techniques are performed with the speed and finesse that is seen in the video. Also, although there are good athletes at ground work in Judo, they are a minority..someone posted that some ofthese guys dont have the slightes idea of how to defend themselves on the ground, and thats is the absolute truth. Who ever said that these are purple belts has no idea what he is watching.

Turtle is a defensive position, easier to obtain and defend for the short period that your opponent has to attack you...

Good stuff. Too bad it's a shame no such video of 'BJJ's Takedowns suck' exist. No one would want to watch 3 minutes of guard flopping anyway.

rockingnonstop,

Your a fucking idiot. You post a video that proves the opposite of what you intended. The founder of BJJ got the shit beat out of him by a judo guy the named an armbar after him. And you continue to argue?

I hereby change you screen name to "suckingnonstop"

Couple things:

A 'reverse triangle' is called a Sankaku (Sankaku-Jime if ya wanna be techy).

The refs are supposed to allow newaza as long as position is being improved. But yeah it's a problem because stalling gets you a reset so yes you have to get after it w/ the quickness once it hits the mat.

And turtling, especially if you're still facing your opponent standing up will get you thrown, you're helping them do it by standing up.

And of course you can lose a Judo match by getting pinned for 25 seconds if you can get guard or half guard and keep it you can get a reset but in a game where getting thrown on your back = Ippon, most clubs teach you to belly-down and/or turtle.

In my club we do a ton of newaza though and there are several badass jitsu players (and some younger mma guys too) who come in to work their standing game so we see an unusual amount of guard work for a Judo club...

Wow I'm amazed at how popular Judo and BJJ are with sensitive women. Come'on leave the petty style vs style arguments to Kung fu and Nin jitsu guys. Both styles are great and have their respective strengths and weaknesses. Which is why I like MMA. Instead of bickering, MMAers are actually activily developing the most effective styles.

Ahhh, Ura Sankaku Jime is the more correct term...its all the same, like dethlok says, they are both great sports

Ensanity - LMMFAO @ 1:07

That is fucking GOLD!  He looks super pissed...yet he isn't even conscious.

RE: Turtling, IMO

The rule of the sport is simple: Land on your back from a throw = Loss.

You see a lot of players "twist" out of a throw and land on the side, front, or wherever. You never really know what position you will be at the end of the throw so, to me, the quickest way to defend after a throw is to turtle. It also depends at what point in the match. If at 4 mins I get thrown, damn right I will turtle. The entire match already got me exhausted.

Things happen really fast in tournaments and if I try to trasnsition to guard I could get pinned especially if Tori is still has the advantagous position. I have seen really bad calls for ippon and it's very risky to land even just partly on your back, butt, etc. But I would rather take a loss than be injured. Yoshida's injury against Honorato still gives me the chills.

In training, however, NEVER. Unless they teach counters from that position.

Just to add on. Turtling or giving your back is never recommended but oddly enough, still see a lot of it. I guess it's hoping for a quick stand up. For me at least.

I can't believe how many people on this thread are sarcasm impaired.

No BJJ black belt has ever submitted to an armbar?

Give me a break.