Juries that cant speak English (Not Florida)

http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2013/08/13/new-mexico-court-rules-non-english-speaking-citizens-can-serve-on-juries/

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — The New Mexico Supreme Court is cautioning trial courts and lawyers that citizens who don’t speak English have the right to serve on juries.....

Wow...

Slightly related; When I went to Miami a few years ago, as a non-American it blew my mind that a shitload of people working in stores etc didn't speak English.

disbeliever - Just lol. So much PC bullshit now. So a man who's life is on the line can have his fate decided by people who don't even understand the words being spoken in court? Seems fair

the new mexico state constitution was written in the 19th century, when it was hard to put together a jury that all spoke one language.

what is America's official language?

trick question, we don't have one.

if there are translators, how can there be any complaints?

the idea that someone is somehow less intelligent or qualified because they don't speak English is hilarious, considering how many dipshits speak only English

ajl416az - if there are translators, how can there be any complaints?

I would be uncomfortable with a translator that I couldn't understand and correct restating my testimony. 

People's gut feelings often hinge on subtleties of phrasing. I tend to choose my words very carefully, and I doubt I would be 100% happy with the new ones someone chose for me.

Although I suppose that only-Spanish speakers are faced with this issue in court all the time.

well if you read the article, that is exactly what happened.

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — The New Mexico Supreme Court is cautioning trial courts and lawyers that citizens who don’t speak English have the right to serve on juries.

The court issued the admonition in a ruling that upholds an Albuquerque man’s convictions for murder and other crimes in the bludgeoning death of his girlfriend and a subsequent armed robbery and stabbing.

Michael Samora’s appeal argued that his convictions should be reversed because a Bernalillo County judge excused a Spanish-speaking prospective juror who had trouble understanding English.

The Supreme Court says it agrees with that argument but also says Samora’s defense needed to object during the trial but didn’t.

The ruling issued Monday tells judges and lawyers that they must make reasonable efforts to protect the rights of non-English speaking citizens to serve on juries.

Yep. This is a major fucking problem.

Eric Bloodaxe - 

Wow...

Slightly related; When I went to Miami a few years ago, as a non-American it blew my mind that a shitload of people working in stores etc didn't speak English.

massive unchecked immigration is a wonderful thing

if only europe could follow our example. oh wait

Fuck you OP. You should be frozen by now for that shit you said in 2 other threads.

Vote this asshole down till he gets frozen please...

Also mods, fix my app so I can. Phone Post