Just a note about R5, re 10-8

Near fight stoppage could def warrant a 10-8 in common sense criteria. Not sure how old or new criteria is defined.

All judges had round 5 a 10-9. They somehow gave Woodley round 2. Unreal.

HunchyRedux -
carcaju -
HunchyRedux - 
The Kangaroo -

A near finish should score every bit as much as a knockdown would in boxing. If a near finish is NOT a 10-8, then what is?

Shit fight. Wonderbread won more wons, Woodley won the fight. Never entertain the idea of a trilogy.

Under the old system, a 10-8 isn't defined by fight ending moments. It is defined by clear and dominant control over the course of the round. 22 seconds of dominance is not the course of the round.

I would say dropping the guy and have the ref nearly stop the fight is far more controlling than scoring some point fighter shots.

Well yeah. But that doesn't make it 10-8. Just doesn't. 

Yea it does

ok? fuck the unified rules. if the unified rules say that Round 5 is akin to the bullshit Rounds where nothing happened, then I'm glad they weren't followed

Wonderboy got slumped and looked close to out in a fight where nothing else happened.. given those conditions I can justify a 10-8. Had there been anything remotely close to a fight prior to that then it would have been your standard 10-9. Getting slumped in an uneventful round is pretty damn significant. Getting slumped in an uneventful fight in it's entirety makes it even more so.

HunchyRedux - As mentioned in the broadcast, Nevada is not using the updated rules until July or August. The fifth round of this fight, which was sanctioned under the old system, is by definition not a 10-8. Therefore the judge that scored it as such is a complete and total fucking retard.

Woodley dropped wonderboy twice and nearly stopped him. That is absolutely a 10-8 round.

BuddyRevell - 

Round 5 could be 10-9 as long as the bullshit rounds where neither guy did much are 10-10. It's a joke to have those uneventful snoozers scored the same as the round where one guy was almost finished.

Exactly.

The rest of the argument is just waffle.

T WOOD wins the fight 2 rounds to 0

HunchyRedux -
The Kangaroo -

A near finish should score every bit as much as a knockdown would in boxing. If a near finish is NOT a 10-8, then what is?

Shit fight. Wonderbread won more wons, Woodley won the fight. Never entertain the idea of a trilogy.

Under the old system, a 10-8 isn't defined by fight ending moments. It is defined by clear and dominant control over the course of the round. 22 seconds of dominance is not the course of the round.

Can you give me a source for the "over the course of the round" part?

TrickedYa -

All judges had round 5 a 10-9. They somehow gave Woodley round 2. Unreal.

Um. Nope. Sal D'Amato had it 10-8.

And its clear Sal changed his 10-9 original score to 10-8.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/7832/Tyron-Woodley-vs-Stephen-Thompson

lockon -
HunchyRedux -
The Kangaroo -

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/2/14142858/2017-unified-rules-10-8-judging-criteria-explained-hinds-bell-mma-interview

A round can be close, and also be easily scorable. Thompson moved forward and clearly had the "octagon control" in 1, 2, and 4. In otherwise even rounds, he clearly wins based on those factors. Close rounds? Yes. But easily scorable round nevertheless.

Round 5 was an easy 10-9 round for Woodley. However, handing out 10-8 rounds for a mere 15 seconds of domination probably isn't the bar that should be set. Seems like an overreaction to a lackluster fight.

HunchyRedux -
lockon -
HunchyRedux -
The Kangaroo -

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/2/14142858/2017-unified-rules-10-8-judging-criteria-explained-hinds-bell-mma-interview

I'm not seeing it. You said old rules, so I assume you're referencing the ones from 2012

HunchyRedux - 
lockon -
HunchyRedux -
The Kangaroo -

2012 Criteria for 10-8 Rounds

A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant wins by a large margin, by effective striking and or effective grappling that have great impact on the opponent.

BuddyRevell - 
HunchyRedux - 
lockon -
HunchyRedux -
The Kangaroo -

A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant wins by a large margin, by effective striking and or effective grappling that have great impact on the opponent.

That pretty much ends your argument right there.

BuddyRevell -
HunchyRedux - 
lockon -
HunchyRedux -
The Kangaroo -

Does near finish = great impact on an opponent. Id say yes.

Submission fails are near finishes...do they get 10-8 rounds ?

carcaju -
BuddyRevell - 
HunchyRedux - 
lockon -
HunchyRedux -
The Kangaroo -

That pretty much ends your argument right there.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the "over the course of a round" thing came from but I don't see it there.

RhinoHog -

Submission fails are near finishes...do they get 10-8 rounds ?

Precisely why "near finishes" are a laughable concept to score. Here's why it's not 10-8: he did not win the round by large margin. He won the round with 2 strikes. That's it. He landed 2 strikes that had an impact on Wonderboy. Before and after those 2 strikes, Wonderboy got the better of Woodley. Near finishes ARE NOT A CRITERIA. Or can't you people read?