Just bought a S&W M&P9 M2.0 9 mm

I was curious and wanted to ask the OG gun gurus about possible modifications. This is my first handgun so be aware that I don’t know much. I want to get a red-dot or a laser sight for it, but not sure which I should go with. Or if I should even invest in one. I plan on this to be my carry gun.

Are you going to open carry? 

Why would you want either of those on a carry gun? Just more bulk, more things to snag on a hostler, etc. If you're not confident in hitting what you're aiming at, no types of lasers/optics will save you.

A worthwhile red dot is going to be expensive.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GsJnM

I've never met a cop, federal agent, soldier, or special forces gun owner who uses a laser/red dot sight on a carry pistol.

Save your money and go to the range once a week for a year and become a great shooter with iron sights.

You may want to put trijicon sights on your gun, but otherwise keep it simple IMO...

Benntheredunthat - Why would you want either of those on a carry gun? Just more bulk, more things to snag on a hostler, etc. If you're not confident in hitting what you're aiming at, no types of lasers/optics will save you.

My brother had a laser on his and I thought it was cool. Didn’t add much bulk at all imo but that’s a good point with the holster.

Captain CargoShorts: Pitbull Apologist -

Are you going to open carry? 

Occasionally.

’Merica

Cherrycola - 
Benntheredunthat - Why would you want either of those on a carry gun? Just more bulk, more things to snag on a hostler, etc. If you're not confident in hitting what you're aiming at, no types of lasers/optics will save you.

My brother had a laser on his and I thought it was cool. Didn’t add much bulk at all imo but that’s a good point with the holster.

The laser just seems cool for the look on punks faces when you point it at their forehead right before you administer justice.  

billyball2 - I've never met a cop, federal agent, soldier, or special forces gun owner who uses a laser/red dot sight on a carry pistol.

Save your money and go to the range once a week for a year and become a great shooter with iron sights.

You may want to put trijicon sights on your gun, but otherwise keep it simple IMO...

Thanks billyball. So far the simpler the better it seems. I want to add an ambidextrous thumb safety since it currently doesn’t have one. 

Any other things to add on or recommend?

Homeslice -
Cherrycola - 

The laser just seems cool for the look on punks faces when you point it at their forehead right before you administer justice.  

Haha Homeslice gets it

PatK -

A worthwhile red dot is going to be expensive.

Cuantos?

Apex trigger kit.  

I’m probably going to put one in my M&P shield. 

I put an apex trigger kit in mine, along with the Talon laser-cut grip wraps ($20).  The only thing i would ever change is a sight upgrade.  

The Talon grips make a world of difference when shooting a polymer pistol, especially if you are sweating even a little bit.

I’m carrying the exact same pistol right now. I’d suggest not adding to it. Keep it simple. 

PeoriaBJJ -

I’m carrying the exact same pistol right now. I’d suggest not adding to it. Keep it simple. 

I should say I did put an Apex trigger on it. 

How do I go about purchasing a gun?

Honestly, I don't need it  but would like to have one and like some one previous said. Go once a week and work on my aim. 

Use all of the money you were going to use on dumb crap and buy a nice holster, ammo, and classes.

billyball2 - I've never met a cop, federal agent, soldier, or special forces gun owner who uses a laser/red dot sight on a carry pistol.

This. Forget your upgrades and spend money on range time and lessons.

Why do you want to add the safety, why didn't you just get the model that came with the safety?

The trigger is improved over the original M&p, but I've heard people still out in an upgraded Apex trigger. Though if it came down to upgrading the trigger vs more range time and training, I say go with the range time and training

sicko -

This. Forget your upgrades and spend money on range time and lessons.

Why do you want to add the safety, why didn't you just get the model that came with the safety?

The trigger is improved over the original M&p, but I've heard people still out in an upgraded Apex trigger. Though if it came down to upgrading the trigger vs more range time and training, I say go with the range time and training

Yes. OP, if you're going to change the trigger why buy a gun with the worst trigger in its class? 

PPQ, VP9, and even Glock all have better triggers. Just be happy with what you have and focus on training...the M and P is a nice gun and is best when left alone.