Just found out my mom is smoking weed

My mother spent a large portion of 2016 in the hospital, in and out of comas, due to a rare disease called "Hashimoto's Encephology."  She doesn't remember most of the year at all, and at many stages we were told the Doctors have no idea what the cause is, and she may never come back the same, if she comes back at all.

After transferring her to a larger hospital, she was correctly diagnosed immediately, and her path to recovery began.  It was slow and arduous.  Lots of steroids, pain killers, anti-inflammatory medication.  From August, when she was finally properly diagnosed, to today, she has gone from bed-ridden with no speech, to perhaps 95% healthy.  

One major personality change is it has become very hard to get her to leave the house. If she makes plans days before, without fail she'll 'have a headache' and cancel.  If you press her, she gets angry that you're questioning whether or not she has a headache until you drop it.  However, she DID, finally, drive herself up to Wisconsin by herself to visit her family.  A big step.

While she was gone, I was talking to my brother and sister about the possibility of medicinal marijuana just to help her mood, aches, whatever. There's not a lot of study done with her disease and weed, so our talks were pretty inconclusive.

I talked to my dad about her driving up to Wisconsin by herself, and he said, "Oh, man, she's so high right now."

I said, "High?  Like, elated?"

He said, "Yes, she's so happy she was able to do it solo."

I explained that I had talked to my brother and sister about the possibility of getting mom medicinal marijuana, so the verbage was incidentally funny.  Then my dad says, "Nah, we tried it already.  She didn't think it helped."

I was stunned.  My parents are extremely old-fashioned and conservative Trump supporting christians.  The thought of my mom being high was funny to me.

Later, I called my mom and jokingly said, "Hey there, Bob Marley.  Dad told me you're trying out Marijuana."

To which my mom says, "Yeah, Shawn (her sister's husband) called his daughter and got me some more."  

Now I'm like, WTF, she's still smoking now?

So, every time she keeps saying, "Weed is eh.  Not doing anything for me."  But she just keeps smoking up.  

TL:DR; Mom smoking pot despite saying it's not really helping her.  It's just funny.

Time to get her to try some shatter.

I swear to god I had the exact same experience with my mom who had cancer.

I smoked shatter with her and she passed out and we thought she was dead.

So don't give her too much. Apparently it's a thing where people that don't smoke weed dab and die for four minutes (pass out)

BTW it happened a year later again to a buddy while we were fishing. And since I had experience and knew it was a common thing, I just kicked him and said he'd be alright and kept fishing and everyone called me a monster until he woke up. lol

"Weed is eh. Not doing anything for me."

She says as she buys another bag.

99 -
opieandjimmy - Marijuana is medicine.

It's a cure all.

Grow up hipster.  Fucking nerd. 

Ouch

Your mom sounds cooler than you.

sorry she's ill though. 

If she smokes, she pokes.

get her a high CBD strain or maybe a vape pen. If you guys aren't someplace where its legal, you are really missing out.

Yeah don't make her green out lol

Sincognito - 

My mother spent a large portion of 2016 in the hospital, in and out of comas, due to a rare disease called "Hashimoto's Encephology."  She doesn't remember most of the year at all, and at many stages we were told the Doctors have no idea what the cause is, and she may never come back the same, if she comes back at all.

After transferring her to a larger hospital, she was correctly diagnosed immediately, and her path to recovery began.  It was slow and arduous.  Lots of steroids, pain killers, anti-inflammatory medication.  From August, when she was finally properly diagnosed, to today, she has gone from bed-ridden with no speech, to perhaps 95% healthy.  

One major personality change is it has become very hard to get her to leave the house. If she makes plans days before, without fail she'll 'have a headache' and cancel.  If you press her, she gets angry that you're questioning whether or not she has a headache until you drop it.  However, she DID, finally, drive herself up to Wisconsin by herself to visit her family.  A big step.

While she was gone, I was talking to my brother and sister about the possibility of medicinal marijuana just to help her mood, aches, whatever. There's not a lot of study done with her disease and weed, so our talks were pretty inconclusive.

I talked to my dad about her driving up to Wisconsin by herself, and he said, "Oh, man, she's so high right now."

I said, "High?  Like, elated?"

He said, "Yes, she's so happy she was able to do it solo."

I explained that I had talked to my brother and sister about the possibility of getting mom medicinal marijuana, so the verbage was incidentally funny.  Then my dad says, "Nah, we tried it already.  She didn't think it helped."

I was stunned.  My parents are extremely old-fashioned and conservative Trump supporting christians.  The thought of my mom being high was funny to me.

Later, I called my mom and jokingly said, "Hey there, Bob Marley.  Dad told me you're trying out Marijuana."

To which my mom says, "Yeah, Shawn (her sister's husband) called his daughter and got me some more."  

Now I'm like, WTF, she's still smoking now?

So, every time she keeps saying, "Weed is eh.  Not doing anything for me."  But she just keeps smoking up.  

TL:DR; Mom smoking pot despite saying it's not really helping her.  It's just funny.

Time to get her to try some shatter.

Kudos to her and your dad for keeping all options on the table and giving it a try.

I'm not a stoner, but for cases like your mom I don't see any reason why anyone would object to her trying it out.

Good for her as well for continuing to try even though she didn't see an immediate result.

99 -

Weed makes you forget about your problems and feels great and makes you sleep better. Calling it Medicine is a joke. 

Prozac/xanax, opiates, sleeping pills. Are those medicine? Because they do the same things you just describe. I guess cannabis doesn't have enough negative side effects to be considered medicine...

99 - 

Weed makes you forget about your problems and feels great and makes you sleep better. Calling it Medicine is a joke. 

Yeah because only industrially produced chemicals with tons of side effects prescribed by legal drug dealer(Doctors paid for by big Pharma) can be considered medicine right?

So naive and controlled by the government your are ...

Oh and Weed doesn't make you forget about your problem, that's ridiculous.

TFK_Fanboy - going to make a thread "Just found out my mom is drinking wine"
Whoa, wine is illegal where you live?

opieandjimmy -
99 -
opieandjimmy - Marijuana is medicine.

It's a cure all.

Grow up hipster.  Fucking nerd. 

17 gotta get ripped off for that blue.
He's trying hard and it's sad how much he is failing!

99 is probably OMA's new troll account.