Just got my FOID card, next steps? (Advice?)

I just got my FOID card in the mail.  I am planning on taking some classes to learn about gun safety.  A gun store near me has a couple classes on the topic.  Is there anything else you would suggest?

Thanks for the advice.

Good for you.

fastnotch331 - Good for you.

How about some advice?  I am a newbie.  I need some guidance on this.

try to find places that let you rent guns, and shoot as many different types as you can, or try to find people/groups that will let people try swap guns...

you could find a NRA class or private instructor.

you could see if you can find a range where they have instrutors and pay for private lesson.

What part of IL are you in?

Severnsmustache - 

Near you.  NW suburbs.  You referred me to the attorney that I hired to appeal my company's real estate taxes.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Gun handling, gun deployment, safe handling, good habits, striker fired vs hammer, stances and grip and accuracy.

One of the most important things is a place to shoot. If you're normally coordinated and so forth, you can learn alot by watching YTs. Try to find an outdoor range. I detest indoor ranges and I don't even consider them safe in comparison to outdoor ranges where normally it's just you at the table or one other person and not a long line of dimwits who don't know how to keep the muzzle pointed downrange.

Beyond the 4 laws of Cooper, I add another. "5" Don't play with your gun. That means avioding dry firing (and having a negligent discharge), Don't tell others, don't show to others, don't let others handle.

I would advise cleaning it at the range when the barrel is hot with a boresnake.

In the beginning I carry a new platform without one in the chamber. In general err towards safety as a beginner.

Ditto on trying to shoot a lot of different handguns before buying. You really can't go wrong with a G19, but it is striker-fired.

WidespreadPanic - 

Gun handling, gun deployment, safe handling, good habits, striker fired vs hammer, stances and grip and accuracy.

One of the most important things is a place to shoot. If you're normally coordinated and so forth, you can learn alot by watching YTs. Try to find an outdoor range. I detest indoor ranges and I don't even consider them safe in comparison to outdoor ranges where normally it's just you at the table or one other person and not a long line of dimwits who don't know how to keep the muzzle pointed downrange.

Beyond the 4 laws of Cooper, I add another. "5" Don't play with your gun. That means avioding dry firing (and having a negligent discharge), Don't tell others, don't show to others, don't let others handle.

I would advise cleaning it at the range when the barrel is hot with a boresnake.

In the beginning I carry a new platform without one in the chamber. In general err towards safety as a beginner.

Ditto on trying to shoot a lot of different handguns before buying. You really can't go wrong with a G19, but it is striker-fired.

Thanks.  I suspect I will fully understand everything that you wrote with some experience and education

UltimateKeyboardWarrior -
Severnsmustache - 

Near you.  NW suburbs.  You referred me to the attorney that I hired to appeal my company's real estate taxes.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

I remember that.. but  didn’t know if you were still in the burbs or which one.

ill meet up with you and teach you how to use a handgun and brings several kinds for you to try.

late April or early May let’s do it

Severnsmustache -
Severnsmustache - 

I remember that.. but  didn’t know if you were still in the burbs or which one.

ill meet up with you and teach you how to use a handgun and brings several kinds for you to try.

late April or early May let’s do it

I am in if you are in.  Pick the time (preferably on a weekend).

NW burbs means you're probably near Maxon? You can set up hour long one-on-ones with the guys there. Get a couple of beginner and intro sessions.

Severnsmustache - 

Range day.

I have some tricked out custom tier 1 glocks and some AR’s. 

Here’s another piece of advice that will get me yelled at...buy a Glock. 

If you go to the range, shoot a bunch of guns, and you fall madly in love with a Sig and it feels like warm twat in your hands, then by all means, go for it. More likely than not, though, they will all feel about equally awkward. It’s like doing one day of BJJ and one day of boxing and trying to decide which one “fits” you best. You don’t really know because you’re still too shitty to have any good intuitions about the activity. Same thing here. 

Glocks won’t feel like a Nighthawk custom or whatever, but they’ll always be pretty damn good. They’re easy as hell to take apart and clean. You’re guaranteed to have a wide variety of holsters and accessories that fit along with 10 YouTube video showing you how to use each one. And you can get a lot of different sizes and calibers that all pretty much operate the same way. Hand me my 17, 30, 40, or 43 in the dark, and I’ll operate it just fine. And I promise it will be a loooong time before your shooting skill outstrips my G40 with its Trijicon red dot. (Mine hasn’t!)

NW burbs you have GAT Guns, Maxon, On Target, and Article 2.

Not really familiar with them other than GAT, which is huge.

I'm in NWI and I go to Point Blank. I think they now have one in Naperville.

Join the NRA.

Piyo -

Here’s another piece of advice that will get me yelled at...buy a Glock. 

If you go to the range, shoot a bunch of guns, and you fall madly in love with a Sig and it feels like warm twat in your hands, then by all means, go for it. More likely than not, though, they will all feel about equally awkward. It’s like doing one day of BJJ and one day of boxing and trying to decide which one “fits” you best. You don’t really know because you’re still too shitty to have any good intuitions about the activity. Same thing here. 

Glocks won’t feel like a Nighthawk custom or whatever, but they’ll always be pretty damn good. They’re easy as hell to take apart and clean. You’re guaranteed to have a wide variety of holsters and accessories that fit along with 10 YouTube video showing you how to use each one. And you can get a lot of different sizes and calibers that all pretty much operate the same way. Hand me my 17, 30, 40, or 43 in the dark, and I’ll operate it just fine. And I promise it will be a loooong time before your shooting skill outstrips my G40 with its Trijicon red dot. (Mine hasn’t!)

dont buy a glock

PatK -

NW burbs you have GAT Guns, Maxon, On Target, and Article 2.

Not really familiar with them other than GAT, which is huge.

I'm in NWI and I go to Point Blank. I think they now have one in Naperville.

Join the NRA.

I am looking at Maxon.  I joined the NRA for 5  years about a month ago.

Piyo -

NW burbs means you're probably near Maxon? You can set up hour long one-on-ones with the guys there. Get a couple of beginner and intro sessions.

That is what I am planning on doing.  They have both group and individual classes.

fastnotch331 - Good for you.

How about some advice?  I am a newbie.  I need some guidance on this.

Ok , since I'm not in your area I can't recommend who to help you ,but first get some basic firearms safety and marksmanship classes . Preferably with a nra certified instructor (s) . Once you done that, picked out a firearm that is comfortable for you (key word here for you , not somebody else ,and not something as a extension of your ego) start practicing and take some advanced marksmanship classes , defensive shooting classes , maintain your skills as they are perishable. Don't listen to all the fan boys and pick what you want ,and if you find it doesn't suit you , then trade or buy something that does.

I hate glocks for newbies , others will disagree. For novice shooters I prefer they have a actual safety because trigger discipline isn't yet a muscle memory .

fastnotch331 - I hate glocks for newbies , others will disagree. For novice shooters I prefer they have a actual safety because trigger discipline isn't yet a muscle memory .

If a person isn’t disciplined enough to keep their finger off the trigger, how will they be disciplined enough to flick the safety on?

I don’t know. Maybe I could see it.