just let one of my best cooks go

My higher ups said they smelled alcohol on his breath, and he refused a blood test, so he's gone, just like that. He was very good and will go far, and he busted his ass. I have to ask the other Chefs and Cooks here if you think it's right to do things like this, "give us blood and you can keep your job here"..."and if you say no, then you can't"...from what I was told he offered a breath test or urin test, but was told "no it has to be blood", he told me that was asking to much. One minute he's going strong, the next he's gone...it makes me wonder what I would do in that situastion....if I did not feel comfertable giveing blood, I'm GONE! WOW...such a cut throt industry we work in.

CHEFPAUL

Bullshit imo.

major bullshit.

paul for every decent job there are 10 guys waiting for his spot that will not drink while they are working.

that being said, i have caught kitchen guys drinking and not fired them. it depends on the situation.

I was reading the book Heat about a writer working in Mario Batali's restaurant and I think I remember that about a half hour before closing it was standard for the kitchen crew to have beers.

That being said given todays litigious business environment I can understand why the owners would be running scared.

LOL, I haven't worked in a restaurant where people WEREN'T drinking or getting high on the job. Shit, one job I had, the kitchen manager was handing out Xanex.

as long as it wasnt interfering with his work and he was still putting out good food then that is BS. We work in an industry where people are different and have not so honorable habits. Stupid neck tie pencil pushers don't get it.

i dunno, i worked in a restaurant in college when i drank literally every night but i always had the respect for my employer and my job never to come in drunk or drink during my shift.

i dont think thats much to ask.

Blood test sounds completely excessive. I'm surprised he's not filing suit for wrongful termination.

Blood test would likely come back with a lower alcohol % than breath analysis.... it just takes longer.

But yeah, maybe he was confident about not being drunk, and wanted something easy.

I join the others in thinking this guy got a really raw deal!

What I am having a hard time with is?..if your direct supervisor says they smell alcohol on your breath, the company has to go to this kind of measure to protect it's self, and there is no recourse for the employee.... sign this right now or you can't work here any more...it is so cut and dry...I'm worried about this because I don't fully understand the employee's rights.

CHEFPAUL

Employee's rights depends on the state. But in CA (where are you?) and most (I think?) other states, there's at-will employment. This means unless there's a written contract for a term of employment, the employer can fire the employee for any reason at all, no good reason at all. Just like the employee can quit with no notice for any good reason or no good reason. The whole "2 weeks notice" or "2 weeks severance" thing is entirely a courtesy in most states.

Most employees have no rights whatsoever except what is protected by harassment laws and so on.

A blood test is nearly irrefutable in court, which is probably why they enforce them.

i work in a country club and there is actually a union in the kitchen.,...although i hate the union i can give them props this one time, they can actually defend you against this kinda shit....problem is the lazy workers tend to abuse the system too much.

Paul, i think a lot of companies are very selective on how they enforce th rules, especially for BOH guys.

Ali, I work in Texas and it is an "at will" state. A dog eat dog work environment, only the strong survive and the rest suffer until they die or quit. This is not the first time I've seen this happen, and it sucks for it to happen to anyone. One good thing about Texas is that if you fuck up there is always room for you to earn a paycheck in a kitchen, someone will hire you.

Alpo...
"LOL, I haven't worked in a restaurant where people WEREN'T drinking or getting high on the job. Shit, one job I had, the kitchen manager was handing out Xanex."

When I lived in Austin the newspaper there did a survey about the percentage of food service workers and construction workers that would test positive for drugs or alcohol while at work in the past 6mo. If I remember correctly it was like "75% food service workers and 85% construction workers".... think about that. When I lived there, it was almost expected of you to party while at work. The things I've seen Chefs and Cooks do while at work.... lmao, or have done myself it's no surprise to me that people get asked to give blood. But the way they did this guy was so public and final that IMO was shocking, it's a lesson that I will remember.

CHEFPAUL

Dude that sucks.