Just met a War Hero

To be clear, anyone who serves is heroic on my mind.

However, this gentlemen, Russell Babcock, came in to sign some paperwork and I noticed his hat that said “Tet Offensive Survivor”. Admittedly I’m not very well versed with the Viet Nam War so when I get a chance to learn from a combat vet themselves I take every opportunity to show them I care by lending an ear.

I also noticed he was repping three bronze stars, a silver star, and three purple hearts, and a medal I was unfamiliar with that I looked up and discovered it was the Legion of Merit.

He told me to follow him out to his car and he gave me his card and after talking about his years served he mentioned he had published a book called Twice a Soldier and it was available on amazon. He also mentioned he has a couple more coming out in a month or so. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074L9V24Q/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Basic training must have been hell with that last name

Just thought I’d share the link if anyone were interested in learning of his military history.

I thanked him for his service and as we shook hands I noticed his right arm is greatly disabled, presumably from hos combat injuries. I’m gonna order the paperback copy and I’m pumped to read it.

Very grateful right now. Seeing someone, especially a disabled someone still proudly getting around with no regrets just made me realize my lack of gratefulness in my own life.

Thebonfirexm - Basic training must have been hell with that last name

Haha I dunno man. Maybe a few jokes here or there but in the early 60’s I’m not sure people got so hung up on such things.

Now Hancock on the other hand, no one has gotten away with that one since it’s inception 

I was in the Army with a Babcock. She was a very pale vegetarian mechanic.

j.SNOWw.WHITE -

I was in the Army with a Babcock. She was a very pale vegetarian mechanic.

Doesn’t sound like the same guy, but maybe.