Just spent a week in the psych ward. AMA

I got it in the right forum this time lol

I'll start with the obvious. Why were you there?

Why do they chase the patients with butterfly nets?

Thats just the initiation for the og isnt it? Phone Post 3.0

Well I was actually there cause my therapist lied to me. Told me I could sign myself out if I went voluntarily. Needed some meds for my bi polar disorder. Turns out psych patients can't sign themselves out and a mandatory 72 hr hold is in place for all new patients. OH and weekends don't count for the hours. Went in last Friday, got out last night. But I got my meds!

And I saw o butterfly nets haha. However if you make a fuss over anything they tackle you and give you a great shot. Will make you sleep till morning o matter when you snapped.

How big of a fuss are we talking about?

Well, one nice fellow decided to get naked and started throwing everything he could (chairs, small tables, etc) at the nurses station. They kept him out for two days. Got his shot and was drug back to his bed cause he was OUT. I however received my shot for blowing up at the nurses when they informed me I couldn't sign out.

Why did your therapist want you in the psych ward instead of just writing you a script?

Well I can't really afford to see a Psychiatrist. So I go to a comp care unit that has one Psychiatrist on staff and the rest are licensed therapists. A therapists is not allowed to write scripts. They talk/listen and hold group sessions, and make recommendations to the Psychiatrist. Because only one guy in the building can write out meds. And he was not in that day.

Doesn't make a ton of sense, but I'm sure they make more money that way.

Remember that movie based on actual events where they were getting patients signed in for depression etc and then burying them to exhaust their insurance? Phone Post 3.0

I'm so sorry you're bipolar. That shit is always a nightmare. It's either a nightmare for you or the people who are around you.

No idea what movie that is. Sounds about right though. Seems like most of society doesn't give a shit about those they have deemed crazy.

Ahh gotcha

Thanks DaveFu. Yea, it can be really bothersome man. The bad part is that it seems every few months/years I end up having to rebuild everything I worked for. However the older I get the more my family seems to understand.

StreetFightingKing - Remember that movie based on actual events where they were getting patients signed in for depression etc and then burying them to exhaust their insurance? Phone Post 3.0

The magic words to get out of a psych ward are "No one is going to pay for this." When they find out that you're not lying, they'll process you out.

DaveFu - I'm so sorry you're bipolar. That shit is always a nightmare. It's either a nightmare for you or the people who are around you.

Or within you.... Phone Post

DaveFu - 
StreetFightingKing - Remember that movie based on actual events where they were getting patients signed in for depression etc and then burying them to exhaust their insurance? Phone Post 3.0

The magic words to get out of a psych ward are "No one is going to pay for this." When they find out that you're not lying, they'll process you out.

It's hard to do that cause my wife works on the medical side of the hospital which own the psych ward. My insurance is through her... once you're in the system they got ya.

Yeh the main story was of a mother and the docs were corrupt as fuck and kept getting her to continue signing on for longer so they could exhaust her insurance.

Meanwhile the family keeps turning up trying to get her out but legally couldn't do shit and the docs would have her dosed up and looking like hell.

I'll see if I can find the movie name. Phone Post 3.0

You just have to obsessively stay on top of things. When you're in the middle, you're good and when you go high or low it turns into a cliff or a roller coaster that you can't get off of.

Silver Linings Playbook and Homeland do a really good job of portraying bipolar people.

The middle is hard to stay in. It's a nice thought, but the majority of bi-polar people love mania. Atleast to an extent. If I could stay just a little above average it would be ideal. Seems as though meds work, but not all the time. Hopefully some day, someone smarter than me can figure out how to actually treat it. Rather than just delay the inevitable.