Just started Skyrim - a few questions.

I started with a sneaky Darkelf archer/assassin with a bit of magic on the side.

IS there a way to tell if folks in the distance are friend or foe before shooting them in the knee?

Do bad guys level as you level? So if I kill a group of bandits (except 1) at level 5 and I come back later at level 10 to finish him off he'll be much tougher?

IS a house worth buying early on? Can you only store so much in it (weapon rack etc) unlike Fallout where you drop shit everywhere?

Are horses worth it?

What are the advantages of blacksmithing? Are the crafted items good or will I find better?

Where can I find an alchemy lab? The innkeeper in Riverwood mentioned he had one but when I returned I couldn't find it?

thanks...

IS there a way to tell if folks in the distance are friend or foe before shooting them in the knee?

I don't think so. I usually wait until they are attacking me. In dungeons, they are typically all bad.

Do bad guys level as you level? So if I kill a group of bandits (except 1) at level 5 and I come back later at level 10 to finish him off he'll be much tougher?

Hmmm, no idea.

IS a house worth buying early on? Can you only store so much in it (weapon rack etc) unlike Fallout where you drop shit everywhere?

Yes worth it, and I have been storing a shit load in mine. No limit I think ... except people have complained about the ps3 lag bug which might be related to hoarding in your house.

Are horses worth it?

I never bought one but acquired one. They are awesome fighters and draw attention away from you a lot. Also can scale mountains better. Sucks when they die.

What are the advantages of blacksmithing? Are the crafted items good or will I find better?

Supposedly a lot ... haven't done it myself that much.

Where can I find an alchemy lab? The innkeeper in Riverwood mentioned he had one but when I returned I couldn't find it?

In your first house you can buy one. Also exists in the palace after riverwood.

ferox13 - I started with a sneaky Darkelf archer/assassin with a bit of magic on the side.

Are horses worth it?

thanks...
There's an alchemy lab in DragonsReach, I think.

Blacksmithing/Enchanting is an easy way to get money and level up. Buy iron ingots and leather straps, make iron dagger, enchant it, and sell it back for 20x the cost. Plus you can make some sweet weapons and armor later on.

Cool thanks..

I think I'm digging this more than fall out 3

The best house to buy early is in Riften (southeast corner of the big map). It's the cheapest (even though he'll say 8000, he'll take 5000) and has the most upgrades.

Horses are useless, IMO. The only one that isn't comes as part of one of the side plotlines.

Smithing is KEY if you use armor or weaons. Just get as many bear, wolf, goat, elk... hides as you can and make leather bracers for free.

Enchanting is good for everyone.

Level 8 and not outside of Winter run yet - don't wanna rush main quest. So should i get the house there or wait til Riften?

How can you turn hides in to leather?

Loveing this game so far?

I think the lack of V.A.Ts makes it more fun...

ferox13 - Level 8 and not outside of Winter run yet - don't wanna rush main quest. So should i get the house there or wait til Riften?

Loveing this game so far?

I think the lack of V.A.Ts makes it more fun...

Use the tanning rack at the black smith to turn hides into leather.

ferox13 - Level 8 and not outside of Winter run yet - don't wanna rush main quest. So should i get the house there or wait til Riften?

If you're taking your time exploring, get the house in Whiterun but don't bother to do all the upgrades. You can get more into your house at Riften (including a tanning rack for those hides).

But, if you're in a mood to explore consider heading south east to find Riften, which has a lot of great (not main plotline) quests in it, especially for sneaky types. Getting there early doesn't ruin anything.

You can turn hides to leather (and leather into leather strips) at a tanning rack. There's one outside Warmaiden's in Whiterun.

I'm on my second playthrough, and loving it even more the secont time around. I loved Fallout:New Vegas, but this feels like it has so much more replay potential. I'm already planning out my character and path for a third playthrough.

As far as leveling goes, I believe some areas have a set level, like you'll get wiped out if you try to go there too early. The rest "lock" when you first visit them, like your bandit cave should match your level when you went in and will stay that way, so if you come back later the remaining guy should still be weak (personally I'd guess the others would respawn though, but still weak).

Thanks...

I'll check out Riften then before heading north..

Are companions that precious? I think later on having a partner will fuck up my sneaky style.

ferox13 - Are companions that precious? I think later on having a partner will fuck up my sneaky style.
They definitely will. I try to never bring anyone with me into dungeons.

Willybone - 
ferox13 - Are companions that precious? I think later on having a partner will fuck up my sneaky style.

They're good if you're just barging in and killing everyone, but for a sneak/thief they would suck.

I like to go to the greybeards before i start going off exploring. They will give you some shouts.

dennisv -
Willybone - 

They're good if you're just barging in and killing everyone, but for a sneak/thief they would suck.

Just save a lot and whenever you run into a crew and your partner gives you away, load your cp and tell him to wait. Much better because you atill have him aroun for help and pocket room. Phone Post

"don't wanna rush main quest"

Imho you should follow the main storyline up the first storyline mission where you kill a dragon and then go side questing. You'll be decently leveled where you can slot into pretty much any quest chain, have learned the basic shouts, and if you go further dragons spawn more frequently.

jbapk - "don't wanna rush main quest"

Imho you should follow the main storyline up the first storyline mission where you kill a dragon

Yeah done that - I presume that was unavoidable.

Willybone - The best house to buy early is in Riften (southeast corner of the big map). It's the cheapest (even though he'll say 8000, he'll take 5000) and has the most upgrades.

Just got to Riften and gonna quit ofr the night. Do i need to do a quest for the house or cani I buy it somewhere?

have to do quest

Hey Ferox, one piece of advice don't just go smithing to level 100 straight away. You will fly up in levels but not have the combat skills to deal with it. Hold on to any potions that boost smithing/enchanting etc. When you want go make a piece you actually want to use they will provide a good boost.

Cool thanks...

Finished up at the gates of Riften. I was pretty drunk - best not to do any sneaky quests in that state..

Looks like some house hunting over the weekend :-)

I don't bother with companions. I had one carry all kinds of good shit for me, made her wait and now she's fucking vanished with all my stuff. Can't find her at the inn where I met her either. It's like being married again. Phone Post