Just think of what Saku could have done

Renzo was hardly multiple weight classes below him when they fought.

japetto - 
Well, according to recent Renzo interviews he can make 155 now. I would assume he could have back then if not even more easily.

Well, Sak is like a fight 200lber now, so what? Renzo also once said he could no longer make 170lbs at some point.

The most important stat is what those 2 weighed when they fought each other. If there was any weight diff, it def wasnt enough to constitute a diff weight class let alone "multiple."

Not sure I agree with the age assessment. Most of the top fighters have been dominant in their 30's: Chuck, Randy, Machida, Lesnar, Anderson Silva, Carwin, Fedor, Franklin, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but thirties can be prolific years.

I'm a Renzo student. Saku is my hero.

ttt

japetto - With that being said, we certainly could also say that he beat guys who were multiple weight classes below him, such as Royler and Renzo.

japetto - I suspect that Renzo is at least 20lbs lighter than Sak at any given time. That's at least one weight class.

You don't know what you're talking about here.

(Btw, Sak weighed in at 176 for the original GP, which was open-weight. Renzo was NOT "at least 20lbs lighter than Sak at any given time.")
Wasa-B - The most important stat is what those 2 weighed when they fought each other. If there was any weight diff, it def wasnt enough to constitute a diff weight class let alone "multiple."

Exactly.

bsrizpac - "He wasn't on TUF? Who is that? Must be a dumb japanese loser"- TUF Fan.

The sad part about this statement is that it is not even much of a joke or exaggeration. I have actually heard Generation-TUFers - both in real life and on this very forum - sincerely refer to Sak as a "can" (that is, when they even refer to him at all - which is primarily only in the context of the Wanderlei beatdowns).

If anyone hasn't got their translated copy of his autobiography, get one now.

I knew he smoked and drunk, but not how much ...and I never realized how little preparation he actually did at tiems, even for big main events.

Boggles the mind even more that he accomplished what he did.

I don't think Renzo has ever fought in MMA below 170lbs. In orgs with actual weight classes, he fights in the 170lb or 185 lb weight class.

BTW, a sakuraba that took training seriously and fought only guys his size would be a nightmare for ANY fighter in the world.

damn I love sakuraba

my favorite fighter, hands down

Sak did do a lot of things wrong in his career, and came up at the wrong time (the weight class situation, the booze and smokes, taking fights against beasts like wandy, crocop and arona, too much time pro-wrestling)...

Sak also did a lot of things right in his career, and came up at the perfect time (Japanese MMA at it's apex, developing the best single-leg of all time, and Sak slaying goliaths would not be a story line option today)...

All in all, we will never see another Kazushi Sakuraba. May that crazy fucker live long and prosperous....

The Greatest

Sak vs Renzo was a grappler's delight. Styles make fights just like Penn vs Renzo...these were both great style matches for Renzo.

japetto -
I suspect that Renzo is at least 20lbs lighter than Sak at any given time. That's at least one weight class.

Ok.

So you suspect Renzo was 20lbs lighter than Sak.

Therefore Renzo was 20lbs lighter than Sak.

Ok.

Even though Sak weighed in at 176 for the GP.

So you suspect Renzo weighed in at 156 against Sak even though Renzo never competed in ADCC or MMA below 167lb?

Ok.

"I suspect that Renzo is at least 20lbs lighter than Sak at any given time. That's at least one weight class."

I suspect I can bang Arianny.

She's at least one super hottie celeb.

Sak vs. Newton was the first time I stood up to watch grappling in MMA. Sick transitions with a finish.

Awesome

frontrowbrian -  Without the pro wrestling training, Sakuraba is cleaning toilets at Saitama Super Arena. Not headlining cards against the Gracie's. 

Well said.

I'm glad Sak did pro wrestling first. Otherwise he wouldn't be the crazy, entertaining fighter we've all come to know and love, from his unorthodox moves, high risk fights, and hilarious entrances. Don't get me wrong, I bet he would've been a nightmare if he started in Rings or Pancrase, but would not be THE Sakuraba.

He was a UFC champ before he ever fought in pride.
Truth.