Just watched the Movie: Red Belt

Horrible movie.

Spoilers, but just read them, really, do not watch this movie, just read the spoilers.

Everyone in the movie has a repeat line. I mean, in almost every scene characters repeat a line twice.

Actor 1: Where are you going? Where are you going? Actor 2: Why did you turn off the Tv?

Random conversations where a line is repeated two or three times, usually a question, then the other actor just asks a different question and the conversation moves on with no one answering any of the questions. This happened in multiple scenes in the movie.

All the actors sounded like they were people who did not speak English that were trying to make a movie in English. Every time they spoke it was awkward and forced.

The plot of the movie is so convoluted, you just have to see it for yourself. The guy beats up some Juijitsu dude in a horrible street fight outside the ring where security does not step in, even though the guy he is fighting is fighting in the main event of the MMA card later that night. He gets beaten in a street fight and the guy he was supposed to fight, hands over his $150,000 jewel encrusted family airloom belt he got from the emperor of Japan that the movie never confirmed he would give up if he lost the fight. He just gave it to the guy who just won a street fight.

He then goes into the ring to expose the cheating at the event and the grand master, the father of the guy who just got beaten in the street fight gives the guy who beat up his son THE FREAKING 19TH DEGREE MASTER RED BELT OF HIS ENTIRE SYSTEM. He just says, I am not the founder and grandmaster of this system anymore, you beat my son in a street fight. let me make you the grand master and hug you while crying......

What a train wreck.

I thought it was very good and enjoyed it

Juijitsuboxer -  do not watch this movie

The plot of the movie is so convoluted, you just have to see it for yourself.

so which is it?....

Baroquen Record - 

so which is it?....
LOL

I cannot believe how horrible that movie was.... I was waiting for it to make sense, for it to all come together. To have some sort of reason on why this character has been followed around by a camera for the last hour and a half. Then the ending is just like WHAT!?!?

The movie is like a Hiku. Not the good ones, but the crappy ones.

Elias Cepeda -  I thought it was very good and enjoyed it

Me too. But it sets the INTERNETS ABLAZE

We go through this same thread every time; the movie obviously wasn't meant to be realistic. Take it for what it is and you might enjoy it.

TH

airloom?

lol @ all the security when they showed a battalion of cops there.....

He was assaulting all of those men on private property and then it was aired on TV and no cop stepped in?

worst movie ever

airloom? hiku?

Aight then....

+1. Like I have always said people need to stop looking at it like a movie on MMA. Redbelt is martial arts movie plan and simple...

ninjaboy562 - 

+1. Like I have always said people need to stop looking at it like a movie on MMA. Redbelt is martial arts movie plan and simple...

It is not a movie about MMA, I watch LOTS of movies NOT about MMA. It was horrible, I do not care if it is about MMA. All of the problems listed above have nothing to do with MMA.

Seriously, what is with all the repeated lines over and over again and how people answer questions with questions throughout the whole script and neither never answer each others questions? Horrible writing.

Then the whole last 30 minutes is like WHAT? It makes no sense, Everything that happened with his relationship with the Lawyer hugging and slapping him, the japanese belt, the Grandmaster handing the system over to him, etc. all make NO SENSE.

think about how the ending unfolded in your mind right now. Then go ahead and make a post in this thread explaining the last 30 minutes of the movie. Please explain as many details about the last 10 minutes as you can. Then we will see if it all makes sense.

What about his relationship with The movie star guy and his agent and then how they are mysteriously connected to a martial arts match even though they are shooting a big budget Military film with one of America's premier action stars?

Why was the movie start and his agent even in this movie? What about how his wife betrays him in every way and then the crazy lawyer chick is now in love with him and slapping him when he will not fight because all the fights are fixed?

Please explain all of this, thank you.

The movie star's immoral behavior drove the main character and his wife to act - without him there, the main character would never have gotten involved in the tournament. The stolen watch caused his police officer to be suspended. The movie star's wife screwed over the main character's wife - and sapped their savings. Forcing the main character to fight for money.

The agent, like most agents - has multiple clients. He turned over an idea he overheard to a second client, iirc.

The wife they tell you early in the story, was a princess who married a soldier and is constantly frustrated with money. When her business is derailed by the movie star's wife - she ditches her husband and comes to an arrangement with the fight promoters. Presumably for money.

The lawyer chick slaps him because she's upset that he has to rock the boat and put both of them in legal danger - but understands why he has to do it.

Not a great movie by any means, but not as bad as you claim it to be. The plot threads, though weak, are tied up.

I thought it was an okay movie. Honestly, I like Never Back Down a bit more.

movie was garbage

Baroquen Record - 

so which is it?....

VTFU

One of the few movies I've walked out on in years. Horrible, horrible movie.

It was a absolute peice of trash, but Never Back Down was by far a even stinkier pile of poop.

Who gives a shit about plot, characters, dialogue etc ENSON was in the movie. Any movie that puts ENSON in it deserves a fucking award.

Well done Mamet, well done indeed.