Justice Stevens: "Repeal The 2nd Amendment"

Retired Justice Stevens argues for repeal of Second Amendment

Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens believes the students and demonstrators who protested this past weekend for gun control should seek a repeal of the Second Amendment.

"A concern that a national standing army might pose a threat to the security of the separate states led to the adoption of that amendment," Stevens wrote an op-ed published in The New York Times Tuesday, adding, "today that concern is a relic of the 18th century."

A lifelong Republican but considered liberal in his judicial rulings, Stevens pointed to his dissent in the 2008 landmark District of Columbia v. Heller case that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for self-defense within his home.

"That decision — which I remain convinced was wrong and certainly was debatable — has provided the (National Rifle Association) with a propaganda weapon of immense power," wrote Stevens, who served from 1975 until he retired in 2010.

He added, "Overturning that decision via a constitutional amendment to get rid of the Second Amendment would be simple and would do more to weaken the NRA's ability to stymie legislative debate and block constructive gun control legislation than any other available option."

Thoughts?  Is it just a relic of the past?

He is just a relic of the past at f'n 97 and should sshhhh.

.l

with an estimated 300 million guns in america....good luck with that.

Thank Christ he’s retired 

Fuck him... He also says that there was never an argument that the 2A was an individual right until the 1960's, that it only applied to the federal and state governments. He's a liberal shill.

Like I've always argued, if the 2A was not an individual right why was the South not disarmed in the aftermath of the Civil War? Surely if ever there was a time to enforce that it only applied to the state and federal governments, it would have been following a failed rebellion... No one has ever been able to give me a rational answer for this.

He is a moran.

Try it.

Dont 75% of states have to agree for a constitutional amendment to take place? He says it would be "simple".... that's lost on me considering only 21 or 22 states went blue in 2016 and there's no guarantee that even all those states would agree to something so ridiculous.

Gerald Ford really fucked that one up. Its No wonder he was a 1 term president. 

LOL

Yeah - let them try that.  It will fly thru Congress.....

He’s irrelevant 

"today that concern is a relic of the 18th century."

Says a relic of the 20th century

In for the typical intelligent responses. You can pretty much set your watch to the OG.

Exactly what I’ve been saying on here for a long time. Anyone who believes something written hundreds of years ago bears any relevance at all in 2018 is a fuckin idiot. Not rocket science to realise that 

If This Were Aposiopetic - 

In for the typical intelligent responses. You can pretty much set your watch to the OG.

Please feel free to educate us, Sir Douche-A-Lot.

trobinson21 -

I'm going to go ask my 97 year old grandma if she wants kids getting shot at schools and see what she woudl do about gun control.

She leans in quietly and with a wicked grin tells you she wants to shoot someone before she dies.

Dreville79 -

Exactly what I’ve been saying on here for a long time. Anyone who believes something written hundreds of years ago bears any relevance at all in 2018 is a fuckin idiot. Not rocket science to realise that 

Including the importance of freedom of speech?

AnthonyWeiner -
If This Were Aposiopetic - 

Please feel free to educate us, Sir Douche-A-Lot.

Knee-jerk, much?