K-1 Grand Prix thoughts

finally got my copy of this (watched the fights on Youtube a few days after the event, but its not quite the same as a DVD), and let me say something first off:

jerome Le banner is officially off my list of wusses.

I'm not saying he is a wuss, but he's definitely fallen into that category of freakishly talented/gifted fighter who has always been near the top, but has kind of cracked under pressure. Until a few years ago, I'd even say that he was a bully fighter; somebody who does just fine when he's winning, but who craps his pants and calls it in when the person hits him back.

Well, he's had some wars in the past few years to erase all of that, but his fight with Schilt is going into the encyclopedia under "testicles that barely fit into a dump truck." he did very well against schilt but he lost for being on the defensive for most of the fight. That isn't the important part though. His nose got broken by something in the first round ala Franklin/Silva, and that guy kept giving it back to Schilt the entire 3 rounds. Watching the replays of Le Banner getting hit after that literally made me get that hit in the nose feeling. had his nose not gotten fucked up, who knows what would have happened, because he seemed like he had a very good gameplan.

None of the reports I read about the event really give justice to the nut shots Remy bonjasky took. you guys know that spinning back kick Leko likes to throw, but never lands? the one that looks like it would kill somebody if it did? POW, RIGHT ON THE PACKAGE. Square. The pelvic bone was the anvil, remy's cup was the hammer, and Leko's kick was the big, sweaty arm wrestling champion who likes working with metal as a hobby, and in this instance he's also angry about his ex wife hosing him for alimony, hence the anger and fury in which he strikes at that poor man's package. And keep in mind: I HATE Bonjasky. But dear god, not that much. Not even when he spent this whole fight covered up like a soldier in a phalanx, throwing high and mid kicks that were easily blocked, which is about the most surefire to take multiple nut shots. Still...I feel for the guy. He literally may have male problems now.

Peter Aerts looked better than he has in years, and I think that he's looked awesome since that lame ass lost to Musashi. he ran through Musashi and Glaube like he ran through Satake and Bernado in 98. it was super Aerts of 98-99, but bigger and faster. No small feat for Schilt to beat that guy.

"I'm not saying he is a wuss, but he's definitely fallen into that category of freakishly talented/gifted fighter who has always been near the top, but has kind of cracked under pressure."

I wish people would understand this more that there usually what separates from the best from "one of the best" is the mental edge. We all know this from other sports but we get so caught up in other bs as mma fans.

amazing strikers and tough guys in there

Thanks for a great post Linkage!! I agree with you about Lebanner. Unfortunately I only got to see the fights from my computer, which as you mentioned isn't the same.