Kakutogi Road: The Complete History of MMA Vol 1

great job here!

Well, I'd like to read the second page but the fuckin thing is missing or been deleted. Surprise surprise surprise 

argh

Good shit! *for later*

Altofsky -

Smack is a real thing?

I thought that was just a buzzword from the 80s that the school teachers picked up. 

What the hell does it even mean? Crack? Heroin?

Seriously?

Heroin got the nickname Smack in the 1930’s from the fact that junkies smack their arms repeatedly to induce the vein to surface before injecting.

First official in the American dictionary in the 1942 revision. Phone Post 3.0

de braco -

Well, I'd like to read the second page but the fuckin thing is missing or been deleted. Surprise surprise surprise 

It's been acting weird for me as well. It will say deleted, but if you try clicking on it a few more times, it will eventually pop up.

Very interesting! Sayama didn't really have a kickboxing background though, he trained at meijiro for a couple weeks prior to fighting mark costello on the undercard of Benny urquidez vs okao. Seeing sayama suplex Costello was a life altering experience, no doubt he preferred striking to shooting on the floor in the UWF where no high flying nonsense dog wouldn't hunt. When sayama told tom billington about the uwf billington told him not even the craziest person would pay just to watch them shoot on the floor 

de braco -

Very interesting! Sayama didn't really have a kickboxing background though, he trained at meijiro for a couple weeks prior to fighting mark costello on the undercard of Benny urquidez vs okao. Seeing sayama suplex Costello was a life altering experience, no doubt he preferred striking to shooting on the floor in the UWF where no high flying nonsense dog wouldn't hunt. When sayama told tom billington about the uwf billington told him not even the craziest person would pay just to watch them shoot on the floor 

Yes, this entire period of time is fascinating as there was so much going on at once. Shootboxing was probably the first to try and move into a MMAesque direction, as they allowed standing submissions, throws, takedowns, etc, (although they just stood you back up), and they started in 85, with a lot of inspiration from Pro Wrestling and Sayama, but they just didn't go far enough with the concept.

Shooto started in 89 but didn't incorperate strikes on the ground until 94, so it seems like that just wasn't in the Japanese mindset of the time to really have a full 3 dimensional view of fighting until Vale Tudo Japan 94.

To make matters more bizarre was some of these promotions would have shoots mixed in with the product. The UWF would have Shootboxing matches before the wrestling, PWFG would have wrestler vs Kickboxer shoots, and of course Rings would sprinkle the odd shoot inbetween the works, (until 95 when at there was at least 1 shoot on every event, and by the time 97 rolled around there would usually be 2-3).

IMO, this was the most interesting time of both Pro Wrestling, and MMA, as the lines were so blurred, and everyone was just kind of figures all of this out.

1 Like

You should check out wcolosimo's interviews on here with a lot of the early shoot guys. Quite eye opening and entertaining. I just watched your upload of sammi "master"soronaka vs Scott McGhee and did that ever bring back some memories. Sammi and Bart were a pair of jokers and both of them wild. Sammi was definitely an unsung hero of the shoot revolution. Thanks for sharing it's greatly appreciated 

de braco -

You should check out wcolosimo's interviews on here with a lot of the early shoot guys. Quite eye opening and entertaining. I just watched your upload of sammi "master"soronaka vs Scott McGhee and did that ever bring back some memories. Sammi and Bart were a pair of jokers and both of them wild. Sammi was definitely an unsung hero of the shoot revolution. Thanks for sharing it's greatly appreciated 

Yes, I will have to do that. On my Youtube Page Wcolosimo mentioned interviewing Manabu Yamada, who is one of my favorites, so I'm excited about that.

Also worth noting, "Master Soronaka," is the person that Bart Vale mentioned being certified under, in his ridicioulus ad, in which he advertised his mastery of the art of "shootfighting." It's good to see that Sammi made the world a better place by taking Vale under his wing. Lol...

1 Like

Sammi recruited Bart in Florida, sammi was married to Karl gotch's daughter, which was how he came to live in Florida. I actually purchased that set of tapes at the time, an outfit in New York called dragon video sold them, they were the exact same set Bart was selling concurrently. At the time, Bart and Rorion were the only games in town in regards to any groundwork. Other than sport specific judo tapes, of course 

2 Likes

I suspect the set from dragon video was sammi's interest in the venture 

de braco -

Sammi recruited Bart in Florida, sammi was married to Karl gotch's daughter, which was how he came to live in Florida. I actually purchased that set of tapes at the time, an outfit in New York called dragon video sold them, they were the exact same set Bart was selling concurrently. At the time, Bart and Rorion were the only games in town in regards to any groundwork. Other than sport specific judo tapes, of course 

That's amazing! I would love to see those tapes... If you still have them I could convert them from VHS to DVD...though it might take a min. Vale cracks me up... he will let EVERYONE know that he once beat Ken Shamrock, even pushing that hard on his resume in the mid 90s.

2 Likes

I have them somewhere, I have around a thousand instructional tapes of which I've converted around 40 percent

I've uploaded a few from barts island video set on the Hugo Duarte thread that's in the bikini ground 

That's because Bart wears a bikini whilst instructing. Bjj ground, LOL, damn spellcheck 

Holy fucking shit.  This thread!!

In...sure it's been said, but keep it all on this thread

mbetz1981 - 
de braco -

Yes, I will have to do that. On my Youtube Page Wcolosimo mentioned interviewing Manabu Yamada, who is one of my favorites, so I'm excited about that.

Also worth noting, "Master Soronaka," is the person that Bart Vale mentioned being certified under, in his ridicioulus ad, in which he advertised his mastery of the art of "shootfighting." It's good to see that Sammi made the world a better place by taking Vale under his wing. Lol...

Got a huge Bart Vale interview set for the books also (!).

I did ask Funaki if Soranaka was one of his trainers. He said no. I think Ken told me Soranaka may have shown him the heel hook. IIRC from the interview, Bart gives Soranaka lots of credit for his training.