Kakutogi Road: The Complete History of MMA Vol 1

de braco -

Freak Hamaker vs charlie lieveld from 88'.  Gordeau also had another dutch fight in 88/89

Indeed! Although we've only covered the 89' Gordeau fight, so far on this hallowed road. 

For those who wish to see the Freek Hamakers vs. Charlie Lieveld fight, this was billed as a Sambo vs Kickboxing fight and is another pre-UFC Vale Tudo/MMA bout. The date was 11-20-88 and the fight starts around the 37min mark.

https://youtu.be/3OsJ4_uNxbc

mbetz1981 - 
de braco -

Freak Hamaker vs charlie lieveld from 88'.  Gordeau also had another dutch fight in 88/89

Indeed! Although we've only covered the 89' Gordeau fight, so far on this hallowed road. 

For those who wish to see the Freek Hamakers vs. Charlie Lieveld fight, this was billed as a Sambo vs Kickboxing fight and is another pre-UFC Vale Tudo/MMA bout. The date was 11-20-88 and the fight starts around the 37min mark.

How did I miss this fight on the tape? Nikko Toshogu for the win as usual… I am picturing the magical clam shell mega size tape in my mind, but somehow never came across this irl.

Gonna bow out now, but incredible stuff. If per the posters there is earlier dutch shoot fighting on tape, props to the masters.

Honestly, rarest tape thread sucks compared to the schooling I am getting here.

Its always as I suspected… .there are many in this sport that know of the deepest history, and are sitting on the motherload.

Similar to reading of Tyson sitting at Cus’ house, taking in all the rare vids.

I know there are still MMA tape gods with the real goods… YouTube brings much to the top over time, but the gold sits beneath the surface.

TTT

DUNK1

those are the muay thai ring wars tapes that were sold by panther

DUNK1 -
mbetz1981 - 
de braco -

How did I miss this fight on the tape? Nikko Toshogu for the win as usual… I am picturing the magical clam shell mega size tape in my mind, but somehow never came across this irl.

Gonna bow out now, but incredible stuff. If per the posters there is earlier dutch shoot fighting on tape, props to the masters.

Honestly, rarest tape thread sucks compared to the schooling I am getting here.

Its always as I suspected… .there are many in this sport that know of the deepest history, and are sitting on the motherload.

Similar to reading of Tyson sitting at Cus’ house, taking in all the rare vids.

I know there are still MMA tape gods with the real goods… YouTube brings much to the top over time, but the gold sits beneath the surface.

TTT

DUNK1

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know if those infamous Free-Fight tournaments from the early 80s exist, but rest assured, we at Kakutogi HQ will be looking for them! We were able to recently find some ultra rare kickboxing and Daido Juko, which were thought to be lost to the sands of time. 

Do you also have Willie Peeters for Charlie Liesveld? This is one of the other shoots on a Dutch muaythai event from the eighties.

romfartuna - Do you also have Willie Peeters for Charlie Liesveld? This is one of the other shoots on a Dutch muaythai event from the eighties.

I tried sending you a private message, but it says that, 

• romfartuna is only accepting messages from pros or friends

Yes, I am interested in interviewing him. Could you send me his contact information, if you have it?

mbetz1981 - 
romfartuna - Do you also have Willie Peeters for Charlie Liesveld? This is one of the other shoots on a Dutch muaythai event from the eighties.

I tried sending you a private message, but it says that, 

• romfartuna is only accepting messages from pros or friends

Yes, I am interested in interviewing him. Could you send me his contact information, if you have it?

I send you a PM on your sherdog account.

So back on my bullshit of requesting things again, would, in the library of mmalexandria that is mbetz's tape collection, there be 1999 adcc specifically the 99kilo division where chris Haseman got bronze

flemingo -

So back on my bullshit of requesting things again, would, in the library of mmalexandria that is mbetz's tape collection, there be 1999 adcc specifically the 99kilo division where chris Haseman got bronze

You wouldn't be the only one requesting such things. As strange as it sounds, the 1999 ADCC is one of the holy grails for collectors. I don't think it was ever released, at least I've never heard or seen it anywhere. Several matches were put out in a "Best of ADCC" compilation. I don't have it, but it is available on Fight Pass, although I'm not sure if the Haseman match is on there or not. 

it was available commercially. Jeff osbourne sold it on his fightworld website back in the day. he made the awesome video magazines back then also.

de braco -

it was available commercially. Jeff osbourne sold it on his fightworld website back in the day. he made the awesome video magazines back then also.

Awesome. That gives

me hope. I’ll keep looking.

I have reached out to Geurt Roos (the winner of the early 80s Pankration tournament) for a possible interview. Hopefully, he will respond! 

mbetz1981 - 
flemingo -

You wouldn't be the only one requesting such things. As strange as it sounds, the 1999 ADCC is one of the holy grails for collectors. I don't think it was ever released, at least I've never heard or seen it anywhere. Several matches were put out in a "Best of ADCC" compilation. I don't have it, but it is available on Fight Pass, although I'm not sure if the Haseman match is on there or not. 

Is that the ADCC where Sakurai and Sato tore it up? If so, I can see why people want that one so badly.

jean jacque machado tore it up for sure. Sakurai went to finals of the absolute after being eliminated in his division by jean Jacques. The infamous mat furey covered the event for grappling magazine. Uno did pretty good also.

Duh! How could I forget JJM.

Let us not forget the time that Jean-Jacques Machado had a BJJ match with legendary samurai-warrior Yuki Naki. This was, of course, after losing some of his eyesight from Gerard Gordeau, and before he gained his blackbelt in BJJ. 

Match starts around 32:22

https://youtu.be/HUQJfBchYuU

William C - Duh! How could I forget JJM.

Sato was there as part of the shooto contingent but didn't participate. I gave that dvd to one of my nephews 20 years ago, i'll see if he can find it. Like i said, i got it from osbourne cox at fightworld

de braco -

Sato was there as part of the shooto contingent but didn't participate. I gave that dvd to one of my nephews 20 years ago, i'll see if he can find it. Like i said, i got it from osbourne cox at fightworld

I'm looking for some contact info for Osbourne. If nothing else, maybe I can ask him if he still has a copy! That said, if you can find it it would be like discovering some lost copies of the Dead Sea Scrolls. 

de braco - 

I think there was a FcFighter interview with Sakurai and Sato afterwards, that’s why I was thinking Sato was in it. The 'ol memory is going in the shitter, perhaps.

One can only eat so many Tim Hortons blueberry timbits before they start vomiting and remembering things wrong due to dehydration.

there was an interview with sato and sakurai in grappling. Enson also. They have tim hortons in the peoples republic of empire?