Kakutogi Road: The Complete History of MMA Vol 1

that fucker was like 7 or 8 dvds

i mean the dolman matches were straight up pro wrestling, not even shootish. one of them was against bill kazmeir, who had to be one of the worst to ever step into a ring.

Yeah,I don`t even remember a Kazmaier match.

they were in rings holland that dolman and bluming promoted, in dolmans defense he was already in his fifties by that time and was well past his competitive stage, if it’d have been 20 years earlier, he would have been hell on wheels. Word at blumings was he could give his training partner ruska all he could handle and then some, and ruska won two golds in olympic judo

I have all of 98, and 00, but I must have missed out when 99 was being sold. The hunt continues.

i just was going to say i had seen an ad the other day in one of the grappling magazine from y2k that had it advertised, so it was definitely sold. i think i bought mine from a store called progressive arts music in florida, as strange as that may sound. At the time they had a lot of hook-n-shoot and rare items from japan, which seems strange bedfellows with music.

Kakutogi Road Presents: Sayama’s Corner "The Story of Shooto Vol.7"

[​IMG]

• Note: This is a continuation of where we left of last week, as we continue to rappel the depths of all shoot-mysteries.*

[​IMG]

(Previous Page Translated)

Tiger Mask and Satoru Sayama:

But the prowrestling world, playing with one fate after another, ordered Sayama, who had been living gracefully in England, to return to Japan. This was in April 1981.

Moreover he was to return as a masked wrestler called Tiger Mask. This time around he sent a reply of refusal to return. For the first time Sayama asserted himself against New Japan Prowrestling, his employer.

He believed that for someone who aims for a real martial art [combat sport], masks or special characters [gimmicks] were unnecessary.

In order to persuade Sayama who was stubborn, New Japan Prowrestling used the clincher: “The match is scheduled for April 23rd(1981). If you do not return to Japan, you will annoy a lot of people. Return to Japan immediately…”

Moreover the international phone call also asked him to “…think of Mr. Inoki’s position.” With this he had no choice but to withdraw his own assertion.

As long as he is making a living in the world of prowrestling, he had to follow its rules. While dragging his heavy heart, Sayama boarded his flight. He arrived in Japan two days before his debut as Tiger Mask.

Sayama transformed into Tiger Mask and achieved a success that people would envy. And yet the more he became famous, the more he was troubled by the gap between his ideal and reality.

For by that time Sayama had already renounced life as a prowrestler. This was the beginning of Sayama’s inner conflict.

After worrying himself about this for some time Sayama made the following conclusion: “I am going to throw Tiger Mask away. So let me pursue my own lifework. Shouldn’t I be allowed now to do what I want to do?”

Epilogue:

If we look up humanism in the dictionary, it is defined as “the doctrine that aims at the progress of humanity’s peace and happiness. Humanitarianism.” It also provides another meaning as “the doctrine that emphasizes the free development of human individuality and the dignity of humanity.” Satoru Sayama’s lifework, shooting, is something that was born of his emphasizing the free development of his individuality and the dignity of humanity.

[​IMG]

(Previous Page Translated)

Shooting System:

Here I will introduce, for people who are interested in trying out shooting or who have some knowledge of shooting but do not know its training methods, the training system I teach at my gym.

The training system is made not only for building basic physical fitness but also for the correct comprehension of the essence of shooting. I would like you to endeavor on the way of the “shooter” without rushing yourselves.

Shooting is the combat sport that compiles techniques already developed in the various fields of “striking, throwing, submitting.” Those who pursue shooting must polish each his own shooting technique on the basis of the essence of a variety of fighting techniques of boxing, kickboxing, sambo, judo, full contact karate, amateur wrestling, and so on.

In order to master the techniques of the mixed martial art of shooting in which the means of fighting (the fighting style) is free, a lot of time and effort is necessary.

When told, “ready, fight,” but faced with an enormous mountain of striking, throwing, and submission techniques, it would be natural to be confused about how to. begin and from where.

And so we divided the many techniques into different classes with stages, systematizing them in a way that they can be made sense of rationally.

· Basic physical fitness class = Building the body to endure combat sports.

· Basic combined class = The general basics of shooting

· Preshooting class = Mastering each technique

· Shooting class = Fighting art making full use of the techniques

Furthermore, from out of the shooting class those who passed the ability test (for tecniques, manners, fight record/results, and mental strength), will be certified as “shooters.” This has the same kind of significance as dans [belt rankings] in judo or kendo. The ability test will be certified by the Shooting Association at the “Shooting tournaments” held several times a year. Together with this those who had made great achievement for the [further] development of shooting will receive the honorary degree/title of “shootist.”

[​IMG]

Previous Page Translated

First Stage: Basic physical fitness class:

Now start from today!

At the gym, every beginner joins the basic physical fitness class.

In this class, the goal is the cultivation or promotion of basic physical fitness necessary and indispensable for not only shooting but for starting any sport.

As represented by the three words, “striking, throwing, submission,” shooting contains the elements of all combat sports.

Thus in order to prevent risk and to endure intensive training, we need to cultivate stamina, explosive power, and flexibility throughout the whole body.

Stretching:

So that trainees can stretch at any time, we play a video of stretching fundamentals throughout training sessions.

To eliminate inadvertent injuries we should not forget to sufficiently loosen the body by stretching.

Footwork:

This exercise is not for gaining stamina but rather to foster a sense of balance. It is undertaken 10 minutes each from a low center of gravity in the upright stance (see p. 47), front and back, left and right.

Squats:

One does this leg exercise, generally called Hindu squats, 200 times or more. Body weight training is indispensable for gaining flexible muscles (see p. 38).

Pushups:

From a handstand, using a wall (or having a partner hold one’s feet up), holding one’s weight up only with the arms, do pushups 20 times or more. This exercise is the most suitable for strengthening one’s power.

Do pushups combined with stretching 50 mines or more. This is done by putting the hands shoulder width apart, the legs spread wide apart, on all fours, and while stretching the body, moving from back to front.

Wall tackles:

Facing the wall, correctly perform a tackle. To lose any preference for right or left, always perform it the same number of times (30 times each). This can be said for anything else in training, but if you only practice the easier side, in a real fight the opponent will see through one’s habits and one would be placed in a very disadvantageous position.

Bridges:

The strengthening of the neck is an absolutely necessary criterion for shooting (especially for grappling). Bridging, which cultivates the body’s flexibility along with the strengthening of the neck, is one important training exercise for gaining basic physical fitness.

Work on perfecting a flowing bridge supported by the feet and nose and with the waist turned inward.

In the basic physical fitness class, one engages in weight training by fundamentally using one’s own body [weight]. Work on improving your strength on the basis of clearly grasping the limits of your body.

One needs to understand that even if one learns techniques disproportionate to one’s fitness, they will not be effective.

Bridging is the basis of wrestling. With the use of effort, this depicts a fine arc. Depending on the training, one can improve one’s body.
[​IMG]

To Be Continued…
[​IMG]

1 Like

Volume 8 is available over at www.patreon.com/KakutogiRoad

In this latest chapter Sayama continues to cover the basics of his striking and takedown techniques. You’ll be ready to face all challengers in no time!
[​IMG]

1 Like

i like how tigermask throws out the arbitrary number of 20 for handstand push-ups. Most people would be lucky to do one. Them fuckers be hard

Lol. Of course, most of these students look like they barely weigh more than 100 pounds. If only I had it that easy!

Join us over at www.patreon.com/KakutogiRoad for Volume 38!

In this next exciting chapter we have a total of FOUR pre-UFC SHOOTS, three of which are worthwhile. Also Akira Maeda finally decides that he can no longer suffer strikes to a grounded fellow to be permitted.

Don’t miss it!

[​IMG]

Isn’t Satoru Sayama the guy who beats the shit out of his students with a stick in some video?

Sorry, I haven’t had time to read the entire thread.

yep, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,

Yes he is that same guy, but he is/was far, far, more than that. If you go through this thread you will learn a lot about him, but essentially he is the Godfather of Modern MMA, and was easily 15 years ahead of his time.

Kakutogi Road Presents: Sayama’s Corner "The Story of Shooto Vol.8"
[​IMG]

• Note: This is a continuation of where we left of last time, as we continue to rappel the depths of all shoot-mysteries. In this case, as we forge ahead with our translation of “Shooting: The Technical Shooting Fight” from 1986. *

[​IMG]

Previous Page Translated

Second Stage: Basic combined class:

Understand the mechanism of technique!

One can advanced through the basic physical fitness class of stage one, if one is quick, in ten days, or if one has never done any sort of training until then, within two months, to join the basic combined class of stage two.

Here one practices through repetition basic techniques to a point so one can engage in simple sparring.

Advanced shooters and preshooters also join in the training of the basic combined class. (But they are free to do their own basic physical fitness training on their own.)

Trainees learn the basic techniques such as punches, kicks, tackles, throws, and so on, excluding joint submissions.

Punching:

There is no sparring [at this stage]. But practice striking, using not only the hands but the whole body in the order of “feetàhipsàshoulders.” Master the basic strikes, left and right, of the shooting straight, shooting short hook, shooting swinging hook, and so on.

Kicking:

Learn the mechanism of the corkscrew kick with the body. Practice until you understand the meaning of the advice of “kicking from the hips,” “gaining balance,” “thrust/pierce through by starting from below the knees,” “kick with pulling power,” and so on.

When the anxiety that anyone has, who begins learning how to kick, asking “Can I really kick like this?,” turns into the conviction that “Alright, I think I can do this!,” the fundamentals of kicking have been completed.

Tackling:

Make the footwork and movement of the center of gravity in the shoulder block double tackle accurate but with speed.

In this class we carefully engage in the repetitive practice of basic techniques and at the same time also cultivate the mental power for enduring it.

Passionate training with the goal of joining the preshooting class.
[​IMG]

[​IMG]
Previous Page Translated

Third Stage: Preshooting class:

Warriors tremble! Sparring for the first time

In the preshooting class, the student encounters joint submissions for the first time and begins building the correct groundwork for all techniques of striking, throwing, and submitting. Here one basically learns punching, kicking, throwing, and submission techniques, each individually but broadly without too much dept.

Punching:

Once the trainees have learned to punch according to the basics, they pair up to engage in light sparring to measure their distancing and timing. The point is to grasp the rhythm of a match while using light footwork, even if one doesn’t actually hit the opponent.

Kicking:

Building upon the basis of the corkscrew kick, one learns each technique, including the low kick, middle kick, high kick, rolling savate kick, spin kick, leg trip, and so on. Cultivate the knack for real fighting by getting in pairs and in alternation repeating kicking and guarding.

Throwing:

In pairs, alternate practicing the shoulder block tackle. Against a straddling partner who resists being taken down, one tries to take him down or lift him up from the chest.

Joint submissions:

One masters the forms of joint submission techniques. Since with a single mistake, these joint submissions can be extremely dangerous, practice these carefully in accordance with the instructor’s directions. One needs to be able to hook the opponent’s joints from any position when on the ground. This class is limited to mastering each technique, and excludes real live fighting practice in a sparring format.

Training in real fighting:

Engage in light sparring in the format of a match, limiting it to punching or kicking or wrestling. For sparring in striking techniques, wear gloves and fight with 1/5th or 1/6th of your power. There are four principle goals in such sparring:

1. To enter into the center without the fear of being punched.

2. To cultivate correctness of technique.

3. To cultivate balance in various movements.

4. To grasp the sense of defense such as in blocking or parring and to enter by body-stopping.

In wrestling or kicking sparring as well, like in punching sparring, spar intentionally with the goal in mind.

Although one tends to get excited when sparring for the first time, spar calmly with the goal of improving one anothers’ techniques.

When encountered for the first time, one will probably be amazed by the intensity of joint submission techniques.
[​IMG]

To Be Continued…
[​IMG]

Attention!!

Both Volumes 9 & 10 are available now over at www.patreon.com/KakutogiRoad

For only $10 a month you get to: Follow along with modern MMA from the beginning (in this case March of 1991)

Almost every column/post has 2-6 hours of rare bonus footage that is usually not available publically. (There is approximately 110 hours of footage on our Patreon, and more is added every month).

We also cover a lot of kickboxing history along the way, and of course, add footage of those events whenever possible.

We include a lot of contemporaneous media/news sources to coincide with our columns, so you can follow along with the media coverage of that era, also.

Every Tue we include translations of rare MMA materials into English. Right now we are translating Shooto: The Technical Shooting Fight from 1986 into English, and when that is complete we have many other treasures that will be translated.

We have exclusive interviews with figures that were there, and one of the major goals of this project is to interview many of the Japanese/Dutch/Brazillian personalities that were important to the development of MMA, many of which, have been ignored by western media.

You also get a warm fuzzy feeling, knowing that you are helping MMA history to be adequately covered by people that actually care about it.

We hope to see you there!

[​IMG]

1 Like

I see the half-assing moran strikes again, with those big yellow splotches randomly left on pages with no rhyme or reason. Any news on the kayfabe front?

Yes. It has arrived. Once the 1986 SHOOTING tome is finished we will begin afresh on the book that exposed pro wrestling long before Vince McMahon did…Satoru Sayama’s 1985 Autobiography “Kayfabe”

1 Like

Sweet!! Some good news relating to that, there’s apparently a new slogan for 2021, “half-assing yeller will be the death of a feller”, so maybe we’ve seen the last of big yellow smudges detracting from the pages overall feng shui.

Hey now!