kamado-style ceramic grill/Smoker

OK - so the big green egg is the 'best' - or is it? Is it the only game in town, or can you get one for less money that is just as good? Are you just paying for the name and the 'status' of owing a thousand dollar grill?

Anyone? Something D O O economics?

here is a link to a thread that was done on this topic last year sometime...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/OtherGround/Akorn-kamado-vs-Big-Green-Egg:2455139-1

another...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/OtherGround/big-green-egg-or-knockoff:2432708-1

Z NEDCMK1 - That shit is fucking disgusting. Clam juice and tomato juice mixed, who thought it would be a good idea?

My grandparent freaking loved it as their Bloody Mary base.

I love clams. I love V8. I tried some and can't even imagine how much vodka it requires to be drinkable.

Look at the char griller akorn. I've got one & it's been great. Phone Post 3.0

tjmitch - OK - so the big green egg is the 'best' - or is it? Is it the only game in town, or can you get one for less money that is just as good? Are you just paying for the name and the 'status' of owing a thousand dollar grill?
How big of a grill are you looking for? Phone Post 3.0

gatorgar - Look at the char griller akorn. I've got one & it's been great. Phone Post 3.0
This. Walmart is selling them for like 260ish right now. Of course the BGE and kamado are better but I bought the akorn and love it. Buy a vegetable tray to hold the charcoal at the base though. Phone Post 3.0

Weber one touch Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy - 

I probably own more grills/smokers than anyone on this forum (does not make be the most talented on a grill) and one of the few, I know there are others, who compete in bbq comps

I used to own 3 BGEs (down to one). My step dad, uncle, and two friends own the Akorn, two friends have BGEs, and another has Vision

I also own a weber kettle, offset, and stick burners. 

For day to day use, max versatility, ease of use, least amount of work needed by you, least amount of charcoal (lump) used you cannot beat a kamado style grill

I smoke, sear, do pizzas, breakfast, chili, desserts, and more on my egg. I can put it at 225 and go to bed and 10 hours later with zero input by me it will still be 225. Does not matter if 100 degrees outside or 10 degrees. I crank it up to 750 or grill at 350.

As far as the kamado grills avail. BGE is the standard in which all others are judged

Pros of BGE: it is the "name brand", it is by far the best support, by far the most 3rd party accessories (shout out to ceramic grill store), lifetime warranty If you are original owner and bought from authorized dealer) and because they have been around forever they will be there to support you warranty needs

I would add the eggheadforum.com to the pro list (it is incredible source of knowledge) but anyone can access and benefit 

cons: it is expensive. it is green, some other brands include more in base price/have more useful features

totally get not wanting to drop a grand on a BGE (if you buy get a large. it outsells all other sizes combined for a reason) and if not then a vision is good middle tier option and the akorn is the best value/budget minded option

I cook on my step-dads akorn all the time (my parents have a pool so my son and I are there every weekend in summer even if parents are not) and you will be very happy with one. usually can get a 20% dscount at lowes

the lump charcoal burns slow. the sealed close nature of kamados allow the lump to be snuffed and used again

any specific questions just ask 

Well I'm sold...

Willybone -
Z NEDCMK1 - That shit is fucking disgusting. Clam juice and tomato juice mixed, who thought it would be a good idea?

I love clams. I love V8. I tried some and can't even imagine how much vodka it requires to be drinkable.

That's called a ceasar, not a bloody Mary. Two in the afternoon = good afternoon. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy -
TedGlad -
Willybone -

That's called a ceasar, not a bloody Mary. Two in the afternoon = good afternoon. Phone Post 3.0

bloody ceasar's are WAY better than bloody marys for me

love them

All fucking day. A ceasar done right is a thing of beauty. My wife makes a mean ceasar. Phone Post 3.0

I've been looking at a broil king keg 5000. They look pretty good. Phone Post 3.0

I got the egg because it was a resonsable choice with a dealer close by, but this is the one i wanted.

TFK_Fanboy -
TedGlad -
TFK_Fanboy -
TedGlad -
Willybone -

bloody ceasar's are WAY better than bloody marys for me

love them

All fucking day. A ceasar done right is a thing of beauty. My wife makes a mean ceasar. Phone Post 3.0

lemon juice

worcester 

tobasco

cracked pepper

horseradish

clamato

vodka

then one or more of the following

celerly salt

garlic salt

pickle juice

old bay

pappys 50% lss salt

sea or kosher salt

I like mine spicy, almost to point of a little sweat ha

That is a mean caesar, very similar to the old lady. I throw hot pickled peppers, olives and a pickle in there as well.

Now i want one but my wife is at bootcamp. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy -
RollHighAllDay - I've been looking at a broil king keg 5000. They look pretty good. Phone Post 3.0

is that the one that goes on hitch?

if not one of the few kamados I have little experience with

Ya that's the one. I think they did a heat retention test and it beat the green egg. It's made out of high quality oven material and has a pretty good seal to the lid. I want a keg or a green egg so bad. Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

BGE is the best IMO. Great warranty and customer service. Also has the most accessories. There are other solid ones out there though. Costco has a great quality one fit around $500 Phone Post 3.0

Ten years in, the Egg is worth it. Would buy again.