Kamaru to Conor: Who says no to a title shot?

The UFC is holding shows again, but there is a dearth of big fights. UFC 250 is headlined by champ champ Amanda Nunes defending her women's featherweight belt vs. Felicia Spencer. Former champ champ Conor McGregor is angling for a lightweight title shot, but Khabib Nurmagomedov fights Justin Gaethje next. Welterweight champion Kamaru Usman was expected to defend vs. Jorge Masvidal, but Masvidal may be rematching Nate Diaz, so mega-manager Ali Abdelaziz is trying to coax McGregor into a title shot vs. Usman.

Curiously and profoundly out of character, Conor is crickets.

“This will be history," said Usman to ESPN, as transcribed by Adam Guillen Jr. for MMA Mania. "I know a lot of people are trying to shit on it by saying Conor doesn’t deserve it. Okay, but the next guy deserving of the fight would be Leon Edwards if he can get in the country. If Conor can make this fight happen, why wouldn’t we fight him? He just fought at 170 and he looked great. ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone beat a lot of guys that were ranked at 170 and Conor went out there and starched him.

“So how could people sit here and say Conor is not deserving? We are about making history here. He is saying that he is the pound-for-pound greatest of all time across three weight This is your chance to go out there and win your third belt in a third division. I am going to give him the opportunity. If Conor wants it, let’s do it.”

“But Conor is quiet now, why is he quiet? Who says no to a title shot? I have never seen this in history. Who says no when the champion says come and get your title shot? Unless you know you have no chance in hell of winning and this might change the landscape of your fighting career forever. That’s the only way I can see people saying, ‘You know what, I am going to pass on that title shot.’”

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1265416578016804866

3 Likes

The game has really become dull lately. No big fights on the horizon and no ufc star is making any decisions. 

Zero interest in this fight. Zero point zero.

5 Likes

If Usman comes to wrestle, and Conor thought Khabib was a tough fight...think about how bad Usman would be. (I know, MMA math)

2 Likes

Give that bathhouse blanket Leon Edwards instead.

2 Likes

I, For one, would love to see Conor get murked by Usman lol. He has no chance at all, that's why he's not saying shit. That would be a huge money fight for both fighters but Conor doesn't want his stock to fall further knowing he'd get mauled by Usman. Get mauled my Usman you lose the Nate trilogy and alot of other opportunities at 170. Hes just not that stupid. Gotta know your limits. Usman could easily take the middleweight strap if he wanted to .

2 Likes

So did Masvidal get scared and refuse to fight for a title shot against Usman and is instead trying to coax Nate Diaz into another beating? WTF

1 Like

Probably because conor wants khabib and usman isn’t the one who decides who gets a title shot. 

It is fucking funny though, good on Usman for putting the mouth on blast.

1 Like
AwaysTheDiscontinuedOne -

So did Masvidal get scared and refuse to fight for a title shot against Usman and is instead trying to coax Nate Diaz into another beating? WTF

I've been wondering the same thing??  Conor and Nate both coming off losses. Perfect time for the trilogy.  ...Dana said at one point he had something bigger for Masvidal...which in my mind is not another Diaz fight....and conor doesnt want any more of Masvidal then he would of Usman. As a fan, imho title fights vs #1 contenders would be nice to see for a change. 

1 Like
Bare Spoon -

I've been wondering the same thing??  Conor and Nate both coming off losses. Perfect time for the trilogy.  ...Dana said at one point he had something bigger for Masvidal...which in my mind is not another Diaz fight....and conor doesnt want any more of Masvidal then he would of Usman. As a fan, imho title fights vs #1 contenders would be nice to see for a change. 

For sure. Usman vs Conor is wrong on so many levels. Close to two weight apart in weight lol. Usman wants it so bad as he knows its an easy fight. Masvidal on the other hand wants nothing to do with Usman and is clearly looking for an easy fight against Diaz. Nate vs Conor is the fight to make 100%. Masvidal should fight Usman as they were supposed to fight anyway.

1 Like
RenatoCocopreta - Give that bathhouse blanket Leon Edwards instead.

Lol, the bathhouse blanket that beat the fuck outta your boy Colby?

1 Like
MarcusAurelioFan - 
RenatoCocopreta - Give that bathhouse blanket Leon Edwards instead.

Lol, the bathhouse blanket that beat the fuck outta your boy Colby?

Yeah, the one trying to fight lightweights.

Bare Spoon -

Conor isn’t coming off a loss.

1 Like
Charles Barkley -

What a scumbag calling out a guy 2 weight below him. Go call out Adesanya or Jones you fucking douche. 

Ali probably told him to do it. Likewise the fiasco with Henry. 

Charles Barkley - 

What a scumbag calling out a guy 2 weight below him. Go call out Adesanya or Jones you fucking douche. 

Scumbag move for trying to get the biggest payday he would likely get in his entire career?

who is Usman?

That is what most people would say. Conor knows the money fights and ain’t gonna fight a guy who is not a known name.

1 Like
Bare Spoon -

For sure. Usman vs Conor is wrong on so many levels. Close to two weight apart in weight lol. Usman wants it so bad as he knows its an easy fight. Masvidal on the other hand wants nothing to do with Usman and is clearly looking for an easy fight against Diaz. Nate vs Conor is the fight to make 100%. Masvidal should fight Usman as they were supposed to fight anyway.

But does anyone really want to see a trilogy? 

I think there's much more exciting fights rather than Conor Nate 3

colubrid1 - who is Usman?

That is what most people would say. Conor knows the money fights and ain’t gonna fight a guy who is not a known name.

If someone doesn’t know who Kamaru Usman is, then they clearly don’t watch mma enough for their opinions to matter. 

2 Likes
Charles Barkley - 

Well the fact that Conor likes to talk about how he owns the WW division and will win the belt at 170 also, kinda calling his bluff IMO. Conor did it with Woodley too. Likes to yap about beating Welters, but only fights lightweights at 170. So I have ZERO problem with Usman telling Conor to put his money where his mouth is.

4 Likes