Karate is making a comback HL vid

Eric "Dragon Style" Henry is making karate work in MMA. Check it out

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSDR0NHdKw8&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param></object>

Video courtesy of Chainsaw Media Services. Ha.

Eric is out of his mind. When he did the shoulder throw, it was a thing of beauty.

I really like that karate RNC bursts out laughing

Does this guy actually think that if you use 1 or 2 techniques from karate and a whole bunch of other techniques from thai boxing, judo, jiu jitsu, etc, that karate works in mma?

Hello, you are not doing karate, you are doing MMA by definition. Thats exactly what MMA IS.

That's an old school karate throw he read in a book. 100% serious, from what Eric said.

that is not even close to being a TKD kick, that I can see anyway.

where is the freakin' chamber?

I approve.

The shoulder throw was even more impressive in person. Guy had no idea what hit him and was like a deer in headlights when Eric was going for the choke.

"that is not even close to being a TKD kick, that I can see anyway.

where is the freakin' chamber? "

Actually, for comps, tkd kicks aren't usually chambered so much as slung.

"Does this guy actually think that if you use 1 or 2 techniques from karate and a whole bunch of other techniques from thai boxing, judo, jiu jitsu, etc, that karate works in mma?"

i can't see the video cause it's filterd at work but Muay Thai isn't the only style that uses elbows/knees and judo isn't the only style that uses throws.

Karate does work in MMA.

This is nothing new;
He is copying something that GSP does very well.

ttt

L8R

Lyoto Machida also comes from a karate background and you can see it in his striking style

DROC

Throw in the Judo, Muy Thai kicks he was using and the BJJ and you still have Mixed Martial Arts not strictly Karate.

^muay thai doesn't have a copyright on low kicks; they have used them in TMA's for centuries.

i think Muay Thai is overrated as a striking art for pure MMA purposes.

Muay Thai is a great striking art for MMA.

I haven't seen many karate styles doing those clinch knees he was doing. Yeah, maybe someone can claim that they are "there" in the style, but they aren't commonly taught.

I know today's karate is watered down compared to the old school karate. Does anybody know the differences between todays karate and traditional karate?