Karate players

Just checking how many karate players are on the ug!

I resent the term karate "player".
You play a game of chess. You fight a match of knockdown karate.

If it's a sport, then you play it. MMA players, muay thai players, judo players...it's all good.

Generic term

My old boxing coach used to say you can play football(or other sports) but you can't play boxing. Some karateka could be called players but others (kyokushin) are fighters.

Yudansha

cdueck - My old boxing coach used to say you can play football(or other sports) but you can't play boxing.
Sensei say so, must be collect!

kyokushin practioner here

Osu!

I started doing karate and draw a large part of my striking from it.

Shito-ryu Karate, BJJ, wrestling, and kickboxing

Goyu-ryu Karate, BJJ, submision wrestling, and muay thai and a bit of boxing and Aikido someday.

kyokushin fighter here! also does boxing judo jiu-jitsu n arnis

Karate is good. Throw in some boxing for fluidity and proper evasion and you have a versatile striker. Through I, that i Know of, the higher ranking karatekas really have good footwork similar to boxing. That's if they understand the concept of real fighting.

Started with Kyokushin with Shihan Gorai but now with World Oyama Karate (Matsumoto dojo).. just started, though.

It was difficult for me to leave KK but I have more satisfaction training with WOK group. Get to train with Soshu Shigeru Oyama on Thrusday nights when I can.

I'm jealous of you guys. I want to do a good style of Karate but there really is none close by in Kentucky

JasonKeaton - I'm jealous of you guys. I want to do a good style of Karate but there really is none close by in Kentucky

Styles are pretty closly related. look at what the origionator studied and then created his style.

You will often hear that Grand Master Won hungguy studied many styles and used what is best. What is best in his opinion.

But what makes a difference is how you train. Are they still saying that what they do is so deadly that they cannot put the gloves on and spar? Is the training realistic?

Thats the advantage BJJ had over everyone else, you train like you fight.

Same for Boxing, Kickboxing, MT, Judo...

Look at boxing, its a sport. But it works as a self defense because you train like you fight. You know about timing, what its like to get hit, what you opponent reacts like when he is hit..... When I was a kid in the 70's we always said for self defense take boxing.

I have boxed for 10 years Now( damn I can't believe I'm saying that.OLD) and I do BJJ and Judo. It would just be fun to do that one of these Karate styles for a bit.

Chinese and American Kenpo for going on5 years with some brazilian jujitsu and judo mixed in, almost kajukenbo.

we do freestyle sparring like mma, takedowns to submissions, its a blast, we dont do any points sparring.

all the while with a focus on the traditional kenpo self-defense curriculum as espoused by SGM Parker.

Wow lets see in 48 years I have done, no contact, semi contact, full contact stand up, then full contact everything somewhere along the line there was a few wars and police work so there was some real fights and even kills. Now I dont consider myself a tough guy but I have trained a few. I have yet to see a martial artist that got out on the floor and was totally a fake (no one was ever that stupid) nor have I ever seen a martial art including gunfighting that was unbeatable. Karate player yea I've done that too, its fun.