Karo's Throws Overrated

Karo's one of the top dawgs in the world, but what effect do his throws really have? His opponents get back to their feet almost instantly because Karo isn't landing in side mount or any dominant position. There's just a flashy throw, a scramble, and then they're back on the feet. Isn't it more practical to do a less flashy take down that allows you to land in a controllable position to work from?

I don't know much about Judo as you can probably tell, so let me know what you think.

Also, this has nothing to do with Karo's negative appearance on TUF last night, its just an observation.

Well, I'll bite on this troll....

Ask Dave Strasser what one of Karo's throws can do...

Also, even if a throw doesn't end up physically damaging, getting thrown on your head is never good for you mentally.

100% of double legs done by wrestlers dont end up in "side mount or any dominant position" nor do they always maintain control thereafter.

I didn't say they did, but the majority of Karo's throws end in a scramble. And the majority of double legs at least end up with the guy in guard or half guard.

Karo is a very mediocre Judoka by international standards. Aoki would crush him should they ever ace each other.

What happened to Burkman after he was thrown? He was flat on his back for a good bit.

"Karo is a very mediocre Judoka by international standards"

a seconds later...

"wasnt karo rated like top 5 in the world in judo?"

"but wasnt karo rated like top 5 in the world in judo?"

hahahaha. He was a junior judo champ in the states, but he couldn't even make it into the olympics. And America is a weak judo country compared to Europe or Japan

Stupid thread. Although his throws don't end in KOs or instant RNCs, they make his opponents trip the fuck out when they're in the clinch. Karos been lighting fools up when he clinches and then lets it go for punching. Nobobdy wants to be put on a Karo highlight reel.

At the very least he's scoring points in case of a judges decision.

-Shaz!

"hahahaha. He was a junior judo champ in the states, but he couldn't even make it into the olympics. And America is a weak judo country compared to Europe or Japan"

But hes better at judo in mma than olympic champ yoshida...

Love watching him fight but the "Judo Jingle" has to go.

No comment about the efficacy of the throws but Karo does often seem to land on his head when doing them.

Getting launched is demoralizing. And sometimes the landing hurts like a bitch too, regardless of how fast they get back up or regain position. End of round = OUCH MY ASS HURTS, and we all know THATS NEVER GOOD, ESPECIALLY IN A FIGHT.

I think Karo applies his judo well. The throws are not devastating but they are scoring points. Karo was not a world renowned judoka but he was/is good. I think he could have done ok in judo but switched to MMA.

Nakamura and Fedor have just as impressive throws

Um. Not really.

Most of Karo's throws land him in dominant position.. I agree sometimes he has troubles holding that, but no one has been able to apply Judo like he has in MMA.

At the highest level all styles (and let's face it, most fighters have a dominant background) have problems with adapting to MMA.. Kickboxers get taken down. BJJ people cant takedown. Judo guys have problems finishing on the ground. Obvious generalizations but they still apply when proper adaptation to MMA hasn't taken place.

Karo is more flashy but Yoshida's Judo is the best in mma. Technique wise he is a beast.

I have seen a bunch of punches that do not knock the opponent out, most of them actually, so really punching is wicked over rated.