Karo's Throws Overrated

Are you just plain simple or what. There are many judo throws that are
meant to put your opponent out of commission for good. There are no
wrestling moves to do that on purpose. I used to wrestle loved tossing
people that did wrestling. Throws are bad ass and exciting to see when
done by someone who knows what they are doing.

JudoDave

He is good . I like watching him fight and throw people on their heads but I noticed he does end up in bad postitions after he does them quite a lot.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Karo's throws are very effective, his opponents don't always get up instantly. Against Serra he ended up in side control twice in the fight. He dumped Chris Lytle on his head ending up in side control, he also tossed Burkman and ended up in control.

waterbottle

edited for spelling

another aspect is that, as someone else referenced, the fact that karo can throw you on your ass pretty much instantly if you clinch with him tends to make his opponents gunshy and can throw them off their game. yeah, you're probably not going to get KTFOd from one of them, but you're probably going to be pretty wary of closing the distance with karo, and that can fuck up your game for sure.

Could he throw Reggie Warren? I doubt it.

Yeah I always wondered why other "better judokas" don't do the stuff he does.He has transitioned it to mma better than anyone else for sure.

I love Karo's throws, and his fighting style in general. But in the end, I don't think judo is as good a base for mma as wrestling, and I don't think Karo has an answer for the better wrestlers in his division.

Nate Diaz seemed a little concerned about Karo's throws.

"If that guy even gets near me I'm slugging him"

Maybe their not as weak as you think.

When I see a thread title like this I realize that people are hating on Karo a little too much for what happened on TUF. Fact is, the exposure he got from a little verbal war has amounted to a ridiculous amount of exposure.

"People talk about Nog having the best BJJ applied to MMA and I think that's bullshit"

so who does have the best?

"Karo's one of the top dawgs in the world, but what effect do his throws really have? His opponents get back to their feet almost instantly because Karo isn't landing in side mount or any dominant position. There's just a flashy throw, a scramble, and then they're back on the feet. "

I've been saying this for a while. Although they are entertaining, many of them are not as devastating as people may think. They are not resulting in much damage (like a double leg) and rarely have him ending up in a dominant postion (unlike a double leg).

Good technique though.

Tenchu
Former average Judoka

"He was a junior judo champ in the states, but he couldn't even make it into the olympics. And America is a weak judo country compared to Europe or Japan"

I'm confused, on the last TUF he was saying he is Armenian. I had always though he was Armenian. Is he actually American?

"When I see a thread title like this I realize that people are hating on Karo a little too much for what happened on TUF. Fact is, the exposure he got from a little verbal war has amounted to a ridiculous amount of exposure."

Come on bro, I specifically said it had nothing to do with Karo's antics on TUF. Don't bring that shit around here.

amazing fighter

out of control ego

He might not have world-class Judo. I don't know.

But he does have some of...if not the best Judo in MMA. He's used it in a bunch of his fights and he's had success with it.

Karo's the man. I think it's amusing when people bash a fighter when he has an ego. A significant portion of fighters come off as cocky and overconfident. They all "know" they're going to win and are way better and blah blah blah. Karo goes and says something in the heat of the moment and now everyone hates him.

Honestly who gives a shit? I just like watching him fight, i don't care if he kicks homeless people in his spare time. He can be a dick, but he's a nasty fighter.

I will say that Karo's throws ain't got shit on Rampage's slams.

In a street fight, Nate would beat Karo! He ain't no bitch and he would grab something and hold on to avoid the throws!

Although I did lose a little respect when Karo said, "Does he even know who I am!?!??" I respect Karo, and enjoy watching him fight, but he's not successful enough to make that statement. Let him get a belt, then we'll talk. Hell, he really don't even have any wins over top guys. The closest thing is his win over Serra. 9 out of his last 11 fights have gone to decision too.

"I've been saying this for a while. Although they are entertaining, many of them are not as devastating as people may think. They are not resulting in much damage (like a double leg) and rarely have him ending up in a dominant postion (unlike a double leg)."

The "devastating" aspect of throws are just hyped up by judo trolls. Who cares what happens on the pavement, this is MMA.

But double legs hardly do damage either in mma and almost always land you in full guard.

"In a street fight, Nate would beat Karo! He ain't no bitch and he would grab something and hold on to avoid the throws!"

And then Karo would bite and kick Diaz in the balls!

"Although I did lose a little respect when Karo said, "Does he even know who I am!?!??""

True, very uncalled for.