KASAI Pro

kennyfrommd - 

Also, if you haven't heard of Renato Canuto, I suggest you get on Flo and start looking for his matches immediately. He is THE most dynamic lightweight black belt fighter currently, with one of the most well roudned games. He fights from the top, and the bottom. Goes for takedowns, flying submissions and pulls. Just scraps at a high pace non stop.

Dude I never heard of him until about a year ago and now I'm a huge fan. He's a stud for sure. He did a fucking no handed cartwheel pass and held it it against Mansher Khera.

Meatgrinder - 
Animal Mother - 
Meatgrinder -
The Closed Guard - 
Meatgrinder -

no... Lincoln Perreira up yet?

He won by 2. Close match!

Thanks! Yeah I saw his fb post this morning.

Interesting the Grippo beat Tonon. That's sure to heat that MG/DDS rivalry up a bit (hopefull w/better sportsmanship than last time around)

found the results although its tough to follow...

https://mymmanews.com/kasai-pro-results/

That was due to Garry not giving a shit if he lost by points or not. He went for legs constantly and have up points doing to. He did the same thing with Vagner Rocha.

were his opponents "brendan schaub-ing" or were they engaged and just doing a good job defending and getting position? Just wondering if the comp is now reasonably caught up in the leg game to at least defend it, negate it and keep the match focused on other positions?

I thought the competiton was being engaged. And Garry did a good job of mixing in his upper body strong points also. He went for some kimura based attacks and some front headlock based attacks. I'm not sure what ends up happening with him in points matches.

I think it comes down to guard passing with him. Most of his top attacks are not passes. He does some double unders stacks to truck roll through to the back or to throw a saddle on one of the legs. But other than that his top game is mostly based on rolling kimura grips or latching a front headlock for guillotine/brabo/anacinda sequences.

I don't think I've ever seen him go for a pass to side control/KOB/mount. So against some of these IBJJF guys with super good guards, I think they can sort of force Garry to play a back and forth sweep game. And they are so good at timing when they need to be on bottom, when they should be on top, etc.

Also I didn't see Garry in any bad positions really. And I'm still not sure how Canuto scored 2 points against him. But I also think that you're also right in that people are getting hip to the leg game. Khera is a good example. He seemed to be not only comfortable but wanting to engage in the leg game and I used to think he was more of a sweep, pass, sub or back take kind of competitor.

kennyfrommd - 
carcaju - What was up with that absolute fuckery of Craig Jones by the referee?

I can't agree with this. I'm biased being friends with Murilo but what Craig did was absolute bullshit. How can you complain to the ref about your opponent stalling just because he is trying to pass and not letting you get under him and on his legs, and then when you get up on points, burn two minutes off the clock by non stop fleeing and disengaging? Craigs absolutely deserved to be penalized for the horse shit he tried to pull. He is lucky that the stalling rules in jiu jitsu are so lax, because he should have been DQed for both his actions, and being a giant hypocrite.

And me because I am friends with Craig. But if you want to say what Craig did was bullshit, then what Murilo did was exactly the same. The only “disengaging” that Craig did was identical to what Murilo did. Not letting him get control of his legs. It was identical and you can’t argue it any other way. And if you call his “horseshit” stalling by clearing his legs and trying to control Murilo’s ankles himself, then Murilo backing out every time Craig attempted to engage was the same “horseshit”. At least Craig attacked for a solid 4 straight minutes, what did Murilo do? 2/5’s of fuck all, that’s what.

And to clarify, the absolute fuckery is if you want to follow IBJJF rules, second warning is a negative advantage also. Hell, even the announcers stated as much. But if it’s clearly stated in a rules meeting then it’s up to the competitors to know what’s what. But I would suspect that if even the commentators are confused, a bit more clarity might be in order.

In the end it matters not, Craig won their high profile match at ADCC with a flying triangle in a minute, and in the rematch lost off a dubious at best, stalling penalty despite sweeping Murilo twice, whilst only giving up a sweep so he could actually engage and attack for a submission.

mata_leaos -
Meatgrinder - 
Animal Mother - 
Meatgrinder -
The Closed Guard - 
Meatgrinder -

Interesting the Grippo beat Tonon. That's sure to heat that MG/DDS rivalry up a bit (hopefull w/better sportsmanship than last time around)

That was due to Garry not giving a shit if he lost by points or not. He went for legs constantly and have up points doing to. He did the same thing with Vagner Rocha.

were his opponents "brendan schaub-ing" or were they engaged and just doing a good job defending and getting position? Just wondering if the comp is now reasonably caught up in the leg game to at least defend it, negate it and keep the match focused on other positions?

I thought the competiton was being engaged. And Garry did a good job of mixing in his upper body strong points also. He went for some kimura based attacks and some front headlock based attacks. I'm not sure what ends up happening with him in points matches.

I think it comes down to guard passing with him. Most of his top attacks are not passes. He does some double unders stacks to truck roll through to the back or to throw a saddle on one of the legs. But other than that his top game is mostly based on rolling kimura grips or latching a front headlock for guillotine/brabo/anacinda sequences.

I don't think I've ever seen him go for a pass to side control/KOB/mount. So against some of these IBJJF guys with super good guards, I think they can sort of force Garry to play a back and forth sweep game. And they are so good at timing when they need to be on bottom, when they should be on top, etc.

Also I didn't see Garry in any bad positions really. And I'm still not sure how Canuto scored 2 points against him. But I also think that you're also right in that people are getting hip to the leg game. Khera is a good example. He seemed to be not only comfortable but wanting to engage in the leg game and I used to think he was more of a sweep, pass, sub or back take kind of competitor.

i think canuto actullay scored 4 points against garry. the first 2 were for the take down that i guess could be argued cuz garry got back up? he picked him up and slammed him on his back not exactly sure the details on td points. and the second one was a sweep, renato pulled guard and then garry went for the leg and renato came up and got the 2 points at the end.

TakinAllFades - 
mata_leaos -
Meatgrinder - 
Animal Mother - 
Meatgrinder -
The Closed Guard - 
Meatgrinder -

i think canuto actullay scored 4 points against garry. the first 2 were for the take down that i guess could be argued cuz garry got back up? he picked him up and slammed him on his back not exactly sure the details on td points. and the second one was a sweep, renato pulled guard and then garry went for the leg and renato came up and got the 2 points at the end.

Canuto went HAM on Khera, but that heelhook at the end looked pretty freaking deep and tight until the kneeline was cleared.

carcaju -
kennyfrommd - 
carcaju - What was up with that absolute fuckery of Craig Jones by the referee?

I can't agree with this. I'm biased being friends with Murilo but what Craig did was absolute bullshit. How can you complain to the ref about your opponent stalling just because he is trying to pass and not letting you get under him and on his legs, and then when you get up on points, burn two minutes off the clock by non stop fleeing and disengaging? Craigs absolutely deserved to be penalized for the horse shit he tried to pull. He is lucky that the stalling rules in jiu jitsu are so lax, because he should have been DQed for both his actions, and being a giant hypocrite.

And me because I am friends with Craig. But if you want to say what Craig did was bullshit, then what Murilo did was exactly the same. The only "disengaging" that Craig did was identical to what Murilo did. Not letting him get control of his legs. It was identical and you can’t argue it any other way. And if you call his "horseshit" stalling by clearing his legs and trying to control Murilo’s ankles himself, then Murilo backing out every time Craig attempted to engage was the same "horseshit". At least Craig attacked for a solid 4 straight minutes, what did Murilo do? 2/5’s of fuck all, that’s what.

And to clarify, the absolute fuckery is if you want to follow IBJJF rules, second warning is a negative advantage also. Hell, even the announcers stated as much. But if it’s clearly stated in a rules meeting then it’s up to the competitors to know what’s what. But I would suspect that if even the commentators are confused, a bit more clarity might be in order.

In the end it matters not, Craig won their high profile match at ADCC with a flying triangle in a minute, and in the rematch lost off a dubious at best, stalling penalty despite sweeping Murilo twice, whilst only giving up a sweep so he could actually engage and attack for a submission.

You need to watch again if you think that you can’t argue it any way. Otherwise, being friends Craig has more influence than you think. Murilo approached cautiously, and reset on a number of occasions. Warn him for passivity? Yeah maybe, sure. Craig fled and refused to engage for the sole purpose of running out the clock. Watch the last two minutes again. He is not disengaging from attacks. He is fleeing and avoiding, and it is very intentional.

Maybe he thought he was proving a point because of how he interpreted Murilo’s approach, I don’t know. But it was nothing alike. 

I don’t care about the clarity of the rules (I was told he lost 2 because there were no advantages, thus they skip that penalty) or if they were explained, or whether this match means anything, or undermines ADCC or whatever. I’m only concerned with the quality of the match, because I was genuinely excited to see it, and it stunk.

Edit: I just rewatched. You can actually see Craig repeatedly looking up at the clock on the screen while backing up in space, as Murilo butt scoots at him.

I watched it again right before I made my observations and stand by my assessment. “Reset, disengaged” semantics of the same thing. Both clearing the legs, breaking contact to avoid the other gaining an advantage and progessing. And me being friends with him has fuck all to do with how I view things. I turned his match off with Kit Dale after 2 minutes as it was more like a flow roll than a hard competition match. Sure being a friend makes me want to succeed, but I have always been a call it how I see it person.

At least we agree on one thing, the match stunk and no one wants to see a third one unless they both get after it.

Maybe Craig vs Canuto for a superfight?

carcaju - I watched it again right before I made my observations and stand by my assessment. "Reset, disengaged" semantics of the same thing. Both clearing the legs, breaking contact to avoid the other gaining an advantage and progessing. And me being friends with him has fuck all to do with how I view things. I turned his match off with Kit Dale after 2 minutes as it was more like a flow roll than a hard competition match. Sure being a friend makes me want to succeed, but I have always been a call it how I see it person.

At least we agree on one thing, the match stunk and no one wants to see a third one unless they both get after it.

Well I guess we just cant agree if you watched again and saw the same thing. There is a difference between getting out of an attack and coming back again so you don’t get into a leg entanglement, and literally staring at the clock and running away from the other guy as he butt scotts towards you so that the clock will run out and you win by a sweep. Those aren’t semantics.

carcaju - Maybe Craig vs Canuto for a superfight?

I can't think of any reason why anyone wouldn't want to see that. I'd probably pick Craig. I think the key to beating a guy like Canuto is composure and resilience, especially funneling your game into one specific area that he's weak in, which in Craig's case would be the inside sakuraba or whatever people call reaping the leg and weaving it inside. Jake MacKenzie beat Canuto at Worlds playing a very disciplined, composed, reverse half guard where he controlled him with his lapels until he could bridge-sweep and mount him. If you try to scrap it out with Canuto and match him move for move, you're fighting an uphill battle.

kennyfrommd - 
carcaju - I watched it again right before I made my observations and stand by my assessment. "Reset, disengaged" semantics of the same thing. Both clearing the legs, breaking contact to avoid the other gaining an advantage and progessing. And me being friends with him has fuck all to do with how I view things. I turned his match off with Kit Dale after 2 minutes as it was more like a flow roll than a hard competition match. Sure being a friend makes me want to succeed, but I have always been a call it how I see it person.

Well I guess we just cant agree if you watched again and saw the same thing. There is a difference between getting out of an attack and coming back again so you don’t get into a leg entanglement, and literally staring at the clock and running away from the other guy as he butt scotts towards you so that the clock will run out and you win by a sweep. Those aren’t semantics.

We certainly won’t. Murilo failed to engage every time Craig initiated something, continuing to actively disengage for 4 minutes. The fact that Craig was looking at the clock has no bearing on the match other than being aware of how much time is left, so that argument is null and void. He didn’t “run away”, he stopped Murilo from establishing his butterfly, and infact does EXACTLY what Murilo does with knee shallow kneecut and handfighting, then clearing the legs. Murilo establishes an x on the shin multiple times in the 2 minutes. Those aren’t semantics, they are facts. At the end of the day the penalties for both should have been the same, especially since Craig was the aggressor for most of the match.

kennyfrommd - 

I can't think of any reason why anyone wouldn't want to see that. I'd probably pick Craig. I think the key to beating a guy like Canuto is composure and resilience, especially funneling your game into one specific area that he's weak in, which in Craig's case would be the inside sakuraba or whatever people call reaping the leg and weaving it inside. Jake MacKenzie beat Canuto at Worlds playing a very disciplined, composed, reverse half guard where he controlled him with his lapels until he could bridge-sweep and mount him. If you try to scrap it out with Canuto and match him move for move, you're fighting an uphill battle.

And if you can’t see why anyone would want to see such a different clash of styles go head to head, well, I don’t know what to say to that. Craig’s matches are almost always entertaining and so are Canuto’s for damn sure. Depending on the ruleset (IBJJF/ADCC), and the format (gi/no gi) it could be an amazing match. And I don’t think either guy is going to be “strategic” like we saw at Kasai.

carcaju -
kennyfrommd - 

We certainly won’t. Murilo failed to engage every time Craig initiated something, continuing to actively disengage for 4 minutes. The fact that Craig was looking at the clock has no bearing on the match other than being aware of how much time is left, so that argument is null and void. He didn’t “run away”, he stopped Murilo from establishing his butterfly, and infact does EXACTLY what Murilo does with knee shallow kneecut and handfighting, then clearing the legs. Murilo establishes an x on the shin multiple times in the 2 minutes. Those aren’t semantics, they are facts. At the end of the day the penalties for both should have been the same, especially since Craig was the aggressor for most of the match.

Not null and void and very much a bearing on what I’m talking about. "Being aware" is a rather pleasant way to put it, but when you are consistently backing away and looking up at the clock it is a pretty clear indication that you are burning the clock. 

Facts, semantics… should I just post gifs?

carcaju -
kennyfrommd - 

And if you can’t see why anyone would want to see such a different clash of styles go head to head, well, I don’t know what to say to that. Craig’s matches are almost always entertaining and so are Canuto’s for damn sure. Depending on the ruleset (IBJJF/ADCC), and the format (gi/no gi) it could be an amazing match. And I don’t think either guy is going to be “strategic” like we saw at Kasai.

Agreed. I think Canuto also has the ability to bring out the best in people, which is why we would see a much better match.