Modern Flow Jujitsu Rank Belt
Size: 4 (110 inch -- A2)
Production: 4 Weeks (standard)
Line 1::
Line 2::
Instructions: red instructors bar please. no stripes

This was my order, i received my belt and it has the red instructors bar but also has two stripes on it for instructors (prof Stripes).

I have spoken with Kataaro and they are saying its my fault as i selected the instructors stripe tab on their website. I did select this tab as i thought the extra $6 was for the red instructors bar but i think i made it pretty clear in the instructions that i wanted are bar with no stripes.

They have offered to make me another belt for 50% plus postage, I have declined this as I think $100 for a belt thats wrong is enough. I have asked for a new belt to be made and they have declined.

I would like your honest opinions, did I do wrong, is there offer fair?

I really don't know what to think at this point.

i have the same belt. brown, red bar and instructor tabs. i'm pretty sure you can rip the white thread that is holding the stripes on and not damage the belt.

What Mike said. Or go run your own academy :)

And next time, go with Eosin Panther -- their service is great.

I think it's most likely slight misunderstanding from both sides. If they have been trying to sort it out like it looks like I would just accept the loss and pay the extra 50.

That's just me though. :) Phone Post 3.0

In the future I'd save money and just get a regular belt Phone Post 3.0

Yeah I know what you mean about buying a cheaper belt. I just wanted a nice one as I think I could be brown for a while. Guess I will have to look elsewhere for a custom belt. Phone Post 3.0

Katarro told me the way the belt is made it would damage the belt to just rip them off. I suppose I have nothing to lose, can't wear it like it is. Phone Post 3.0

They tried...

If it was me, I'd pull out my seam ripper and just undo those white stripes. Let a buddy who really wants a nice belt to use my discount

Piranha gi company sells those type of brown belts. I've been looking at them as well Phone Post 3.0

Ebay it , brah. Phone Post 3.0

I dunno, I think kataaro screwed it up, they should fix it.

This is a pretty niche market, I would assume they'd be more interested in good word of mouth.

If I hear that someone got poor customer service, or had a company that wasn't interested in making right something that they messed up that someone had already paid a bunch of dough for, I wouldn't be very interested in taking the same chance of them if I was shopping.

Most people will remember good customer service stories, but EVERYBODY remembers bad ones. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry, but I think you messed up. I ordered a BB with instructor stripes back in April. I found it pretty straight forward regarding what was instructor stripes and degree stripes.

But over all I was not impressed by Kataaros standard belt. It is a high quality belt but I prefer to wear a modified standard (Hayabusa rip stop) belt. It looks better and you don't get a huge bulging knot on you stomach.

And another reason why I would never buy a Kataaro belt again is the way the color of the red bar fades. A guy at my academy has had his Kataaro belt for about 18 months and the red bar is turning pink. 

What is the reason for you wanting to remove the side bars from your belt? If it's because you don't like the look, then I can get it. But if it's becase of the implication that you are an instructor (if you are not), then I wouldn't worry about it at all. Those bars mean nothing to most people. There are several brands that has side bars on all of their belts, white to black.

Not the first complaint I've heard about Kataaro's customer service. I know someone who ordered a belt from them, it arrived inches shorter than it should be, and Kataaro's response was "you obviously washed it, it's not our problem."

James

Not shocked to see a problem with Modern Flow either. That company is literally one guy working out of his parent's basement. Heard of plenty of people who weren't refunded for problem gis and it's because the guy can't afford to do it. The profit is already spent on ordering more product so there's no cash available to back up any sort of warranty.

Having seen how many of these gi companies operate, I'm never surprised by customer complaints and refund refusals.

On another note... who puts a red sash on a brown belt anyway? That screams 'I don't have a black belt yet but I think I deserve one because I'm an instructor'. Just teach classes, bro, and let things come in time. Nothing cracks me up more than going to a tournament and seeing brown, purple, and even blue belts with red sashes.

ChippewaBJJ - Not shocked to see a problem with Modern Flow either. That company is literally one guy working out of his parent's basement. Heard of plenty of people who weren't refunded for problem gis and it's because the guy can't afford to do it. The profit is already spent on ordering more product so there's no cash available to back up any sort of warranty.

Having seen how many of these gi companies operate, I'm never surprised by customer complaints and refund refusals.

On another note... who puts a red sash on a brown belt anyway? That screams 'I don't have a black belt yet but I think I deserve one because I'm an instructor'. Just teach classes, bro, and let things come in time. Nothing cracks me up more than going to a tournament and seeing brown, purple, and even blue belts with red sashes.

Have a brown belt at a partner school who does it

Seems odd to me Phone Post 3.0

Unless you have your own school where you are the head instructor, I don't believe in the red bar for colored belts.

But interesting thread nonetheless. I got my Brown in June and have been using the same belt I was promoted with, however I am looking for a better one and I was considering the Modern Flow/Kaarto collaboration.

Anyone else know of a solid Brown belt that has a "lighter shade" of brown? I don't like the dark brown color of the cheap Koral/OTM/etc belts. Phone Post 3.0

UK - I recently ordered a modern flow Brown belt from Kataaro

Modern Flow Jujitsu Rank Belt
Size: 4 (110 inch -- A2)
Production: 4 Weeks (standard)
Instructions: red instructors bar please. no stripes

This was my order, i received my belt and it has the red instructors bar but also has two stripes on it for instructors (prof Stripes).

I have spoken with Kataaro and they are saying its my fault as i selected the instructors stripe tab on their website. I did select this tab as i thought the extra $6 was for the red instructors bar but i think i made it pretty clear in the instructions that i wanted are bar with no stripes.

They have offered to make me another belt for 50% plus postage, I have declined this as I think $100 for a belt thats wrong is enough. I have asked for a new belt to be made and they have declined.

I would like your honest opinions, did I do wrong, is there offer fair?

I really don't know what to think at this point.

Aww man, you messed up. The instructors bar has stripes at the end. That being said, my Kataaro is awesome. I've only used Mizuno belts up to this point, but this is a quality belt. I'm not sure about the Modern Flow version. Kataaro customer service made it exactly as I requested. I ordered the soft version, it was stiffer that my Mizunos, but it broke in nicely after a while. http://photos-c.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/10802986_1573411386213586_1007900554_n.jpg

Thank you all for your honest opinions I really appreciate it.

Like I said I made a mistake when ordering but I thought I made it clear no stripes in the special comments box.

Oh well you live and learn.

Just like others have said I would have expected better customer service from Kataaro but they clearly have had and still have issues with that.

In the mean time I have taken the belt to my tailors and she has fixed the belt. Removed the stripes and tidied up the ends on red bar, something I ask Kataaro to do but they said they couldn't.

Also to respond to the people laughing at red bars.......... Please be nice, don't be mean!! No seriously it just how my Master from Brazil likes it, plus I have my own school where I'm the head instructor. The reason I couldn't just live with the stripes is respect for my professor that have had to earn theirs with blood, sweat and tears. Phone Post 3.0

Sadly, I had a problem too... when  I ordered the "American Flag Camouflage Belt" :

http://www.kataaro.com/Products/Flag-Belt-American-Camouflage__4991CAM.aspx

They sold me one that was stiff as a board when I clearly requested "soft firmness". They said it was firm due to all the extra embroidery I ordered (rank bar, 10 stripes, my name in Mandrin Script and a short quote from John Wooden). Well here's an idea: MAYBE you should tell customers that ahead of time, so they know they will be getting a belt that is almost impossible to keep tied!!

End of rant.